Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There are no dumb questions, New Year immunity thread!!!

In numismatics, no one knows everything, well except for a couple of members. image

This is a good time to ask away on those seemingly simple questions that you really do not know the answer to.

I will add a few as the thread progresses.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do some people insist on calling coins produced after July 4, 1776 colonial coins? We stopped being a colony when we declared our independence.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Why doesn't PCGS automatically photograph all certs?
  • Options
    Perhaps because the Constitution wasn't ratified until 1787.

Gotcha! Just picked up a few years thereimage
  • Options
    Because photographing a million MS69 ASE's would drive the staff to mass suicide
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Why has no one fashioned a bottle opener using a die cut silver dollar.
  • Options

<< <i>Why has no one fashioned a bottle opener using a die cut silver dollar. >>

I'm sure that someone has only to discover that silver being a horribly soft metal wouldn't work prying a steel cap more than once or twice.

basic Metalurgy 101
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the going market price for a common PCGS MS65 CAC Saint?
  • Options
    Why does Ebay no longer care whether I ever sell another coin, but badgers me daily to sell my I Phone? image

Like to see Woggy answer this one!
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Like I said before-----Bash ebay, Bash ebay!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Why does Ebay no longer care whether I ever sell another coin, but badgers me daily to sell my I Phone? image

Like to see Woggy answer this one! >>

Even a modest individual of my sheer brilliance is unable to comprehend the thoughts, direction, and execution of whatever "fluid" business plan that happens to be in force on any particular day within that organization. How can one truly answer 'the why' of a lunatic asylum run by the inmates? We would be far better off, both as sellers and buyers, if the day to day management team was structured along the lines of a Bulgarian soviet committee of workers and peasants. Not a satisfactory answer I know, but nothing that any happy ebayer doesn't already know.
  • Options

<< <i>Why does Ebay no longer care whether I ever sell another coin, but badgers me daily to sell my I Phone? image

Like to see Woggy answer this one! >>

Even a modest individual of my sheer brilliance is unable to comprehend the thoughts, direction, and execution of whatever "fluid" business plan that happens to be in force on any particular day within that organization. How can one truly answer 'the why' of a lunatic asylum run by the inmates? We would be far better off, both as sellers and buyers, if the day to day management team was structured along the lines of a Bulgarian soviet committee of workers and peasants. Not a satisfactory answer, but nothing that any happy ebayer doesn't already know.
  • Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is environmental damage (tarnish) treasured and yet AT (artificial tarnish) is detested?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do some people insist on calling coins produced after July 4, 1776 colonial coins? We stopped being a colony when we declared our independence. >>

I guess because we didn't start producing coinage as a single nation from a U.S. Mint until 1792.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>Why is environmental damage (tarnish) treasured and yet AT (artificial tarnish) is detested?? Cheers, RickO >>

Marketing fashion trends and the control thereof. Anyone old enough to remember when blast white was the fashion du jour? Perhaps the pendulum will swing back, if anyone will still collect coins then.
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps because the Constitution wasn't ratified until 1787.

Gotcha! Just picked up a few years thereimage >>

We were a country before the Constitution. Ever hear of the Articles of Confederation? Why do we celebrate the 4th of July every year as the nation's birthday?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why do some people insist on calling coins produced after July 4, 1776 colonial coins? We stopped being a colony when we declared our independence. >>

I guess because we didn't start producing coinage as a single nation from a U.S. Mint until 1792. >>

After the last state ratified it in 1790 or 91
  • Options

<< <i>

I guess because we didn't start producing coinage as a single nation from a U.S. Mint until 1792. >>

What does that have to do with the US being a colony or not being a colony? Ever hear of the 1787 Fugio cents produced by a private contractor for the US government?

• Options
    Why do coin collectors insist on calling the cent a penny when they should know better?image

• Options

<< <i>

We were a country before the Constitution. Ever hear of the Articles of Confederation? Why do we celebrate the 4th of July every year as the nation's birthday? >>

All the states had to ratify (see above posts)

Why July 4th? That's when the ball got rolling even though many did not sign until August. It's kinda like December 25th as the birth of Jesus

That ought to garner another 100+ posts to this thread
  • Options

<< <i>Because photographing a million MS69 ASE's would drive the staff to mass suicide >>

Good Point
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

We were a country before the Constitution. Ever hear of the Articles of Confederation? Why do we celebrate the 4th of July every year as the nation's birthday? >>

Why July 4th? That's when the ball got rolling even though many did not sign until August. It's kinda like December 25th as the birth of Jesus

That ought to garner another 100+ posts to this thread >>

Okay. If you insist, the individual states were no longer colonies after July 4, 1776. We did have the Articles of Confederation which loosely united the individual states.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's a misnomer. It's easier to say than saying it's the day we declared independence. John Adams insisted that the correct date was July 2. That was the day the vote occurred. July 4 was the date that signing started. Jefferson, who kept a detailed journal, supposedly had no entry on July 4, except that he recorded he bought some gloves and books.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there were 484,000 1909-S VDB Lincoln cents produced (or any other key date) why does a variety with a significantly less known availability worth so much less?

1892-O 25C FS-901 (unique in PCGS)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Because photographing a million MS69 ASE's would drive the staff to mass suicide >>

Good Point >>

Just photograph one coin and use it for all of them. At that lofty grade I doubt that the subtle differences between any MS69 ASE's would even be visible in a picture.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do coin collectors insist on calling the cent a penny when they should know better?image >>

Have you ever read some of the 1c wrappers? Some say penny. There is ignorance even with professionals.
    Paul
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this the post for no dumb questions? image
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immunity or amnesty ?
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    What are there no counter-stamped steel cents or war nickels?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Which coin is more attractive from an artistic viewpoint---the Morgan Dollar or the Peace Dollar?

• Options
    Why do professional football players insist on calling heads or tails at the coin flip, rather than the proper obverse or reverse.
  • Options

<< <i>Why do professional football players insist on calling heads or tails at the coin flip, rather than the proper obverse or reverse. >>

They're not coin collectors or perhaps too many head injuries.image

Great idea for a thread by the way. Sure to hit 300 posts since there is no shortage of "no dumb questions".image

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If there were 484,000 1909-S VDB Lincoln cents produced (or any other key date) why does a variety with a significantly less known availability worth so much less?

1892-O 25C FS-901 (unique in PCGS) >>

Demand. Probably the majority of collectors want a 1909-S VDB and hardly anyone cares about a 1892-O FS-901 quarter.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That ought to garner another 100+ posts to this thread >>

Okay. If you insist, the individual states were no longer colonies after July 4, 1776. We did have the Articles of Confederation which loosely united the individual states. >>

From England's perspective, the date would probably be October 19, 1781 when Cornwallis surrendered. Before that we were just poorly behaved colonies.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the true grade of the coin - what is on the holder or what it is in your mind, based on the accepted grading standards.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play. Why is the 1922-D Lincoln referred to as a 22-P when missing the D. Cent was still minted at Denver. Could it be referred to as a 22-D missing the D?Probably semantics.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?
  • Options

<< <i>I'll play. Why is the 1922-D Lincoln referred to as a 22-P when missing the D. Cent was still minted at Denver. Could it be referred to as a 22-D missing the D?Probably semantics. >>

I've heard it referred to as the 1922 Plain.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they ever put a Kardashian on a coin, would the tails side be a larger diameter than the heads side ??? image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's the genius who decided a red cent should be valued greater than a beautiful shiny brown one?
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    On a smooth level surface, how far will a 1893-S Morgan silver dollar in XF-45 condition roll, before falling over or coming to a complete stop while still standing on it's edge?

Control roller: Pete Weber (Professional bowler, son of Dick Weber)
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do most of are coins back in the day look like men?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is environmental damage (tarnish) treasured and yet AT (artificial tarnish) is detested?? Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, did you know it comes in gallons?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I did Boosibri........but I do not use it....I just look for well preserved coins... image

And, I did think the answer to my question was rather weak....
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do coin collectors insist on calling the cent a penny when they should know better?image >>

dont sweat the small things, its what makes them happy (fwiw)
  • Options
    Are dealers more successful when there first name is an initial?
  • Options
    dukiduki Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Why, when i get i coin from ebay, is the original price on the flip blacked out and replaced with some other price?
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do most of are coins back in the day look like men? >>

And why do most young "men" today look, and often act, like women? image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to know where is Judy?

I miss her at ebay.....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I did Boosibri........but I do not use it....I just look for well preserved coins... image

And, I did think the answer to my question was rather weak....
    Cheers, RickO >>

My quick answer to your question?..

NT coins have escaped the generations of collectors, investors and everything in between who have sought to improve, preserve, and otherwise manipulate coins as they go through the aging process. Save for a few select specimens, 100+ year old silver I don't think should be bright white anymore so than I expect to look like I do now in 50 years. The Dukes Creek Collection comes to mind in Dahlonega gold. So sad.

AT coins try and mask history and are mascarading as one of those select specimens which have had their surfaces preserved. Granted, many of the monster toners which are in problem free holders probably had help along the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file