Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heart breaking

came 2mm from squeezing the trigger. I am surprised that graded even back then. How long before PCGS sees this as a warranty claim?

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Youch! Looks like it got keyed.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet they thought it was a die crack. It almost looks like one as you get closer to the rims.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorta looks like a big die break and a little bit of scratches. I don't think the big obvious looking thing is a scratch.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a shame.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    First thought was a strike thru until I saw the separation near the jaw.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market acceptable?
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20yr old mistake
  • Options

<< <i>20yr old mistake >>

I agree, it isn't even grossly net graded to compensate which they often are when that was more the status quo. Classic staple scratch and very sad.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so depressing...
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The light reflections on the ring show that the light path is about perpendicular to the scratch. I bet the mark is almost invisible when the light is coming from other directions.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see this coin in person.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the thread title made me think this was about the penultimate scene of The Walking Dead tonight image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was unusual to net any coin for such a large scratch back in the ogh days. While it does look to be XF/AU otherwise, no way it should have been netted to VF.

Another option is that the holder was cracked open and this coin was inserted.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is so depressing... >>

What's depressing..........the scratch or the fact it received a grade?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way that is a scratch. PCGS couldn't miss that!!! Would have to see it in hand.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Looks like perforating over the Liberty's head/hair. I vote scratch.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like perforating over the Liberty's head/hair. I vote scratch. >>

Your a bad man as now poor DIMEMAN won't be able to sleep a wink all night image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how it follows the inside of the star up top. I think a die crack would be much more likely to do that than a scratch.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like perforating over the Liberty's head/hair. I vote scratch. >>

Your a bad man as now poor DIMEMAN won't be able to sleep a wink all night image >>

I don't think DMan will lose any sleep over my wag image Jeremy is in the mix now but I still stand with scratch image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    in the cleaned and scratched crowd here...a wee lil bit beyond being market acceptable
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should also add that the line doesn't seem to go through the point of the lower star. I would expect a scratch to go through the star, but since the field is the high point of the die, I wouldn't be surprised that a die break didn't go through the device. I'd want to see it in hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a die crack, perhaps made to look more suspect by rather harsh lighting.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a scratch. No way that's a die crack. I'm guessing that it only looks as bad as it does in the pic is because the lighting catches the scratch just right and that it isn't quite as noticeable when viewed in hand in natural light. I'm guessing that PCGS silently net graded this coin due to it's age and rarity.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a scratch... I agree with PerryHall....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking that PCGS had the coin in hand and decided it is a die crack.
    Harder to determine that with an image.
  • Options

<< <i>I am thinking that PCGS had the coin in hand and decided it is a die crack.
    Harder to determine that with an image. >>

it isn't hard at all, clearly a scratch.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually looks like two of them in the same area.

That slab pre-dates Genuine service. Netted for rarity.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of those lines ends abruptly at the jaw/neck interface. The other one crosses over that same area. Odd behavior for a die crack(s).

Full bisections are also sort of rare for die cracks, especially nearly straight ones. The obverse cleaning lines flow in the same direction as the scratch/die crack. Coincidence?

As the "die crack" bounces across Liberty's hair it leaves a "dotted" line. Again, not usual behavior for a typical die crack.

The line just barely touches 2 star points on each side of the coin. How unusual is that for a die crack? Makes more sense that the resistance from the raised star body/points redirected the offending "tool" away.

Longer die cracks often change their thickness along the route as various devices are encountered. This one seems to maintain the same width nearly the entire run.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>One of those lines ends abruptly at the jaw/neck interface. The other one crosses over that same area. Odd behavior for a die crack(s).

Full bisections are also sort of rare for die cracks, especially nearly straight ones. The obverse cleaning lines flow in the same direction as the scratch/die crack. Coincidence?

As the "die crack" bounces across Liberty's hair it leaves a "dotted" line. Again, not usual behavior for a typical die crack.

The line just barely touches 2 star points on each side of the coin. How unusual is that for a die crack? Makes more sense that the resistance from the raised star body/points redirected the offending "tool" away.

Longer die cracks often change their thickness along the route as various devices are encountered. This one seems to maintain the same width nearly the entire run. >>

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what's its value (given a scratch) .... ?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    perhaps.. while it was being cleaned, a small chunk of the brick being used broke loose and caused the scratch
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell by the way that the light falls INTO it that it is a depression rather than a raised die break. A struck thru indentation is theoretically possible, but it sure looks like a scratch to me.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>perhaps.. while it was being cleaned, a small chunk of the brick being used broke loose and caused the scratch >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what's its value (given a scratch) .... ? >>

today, i would give $145 for it.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I lived in Sonora, I met a guy who had dug a Clark Gruber $5 out of his garden.

Guess where the shovel hit. HARD? image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll bet they thought it was a die crack. It almost looks like one as you get closer to the rims. >>

my thought exactly
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file