Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best book for Reeded Edge Halves 1836-1839 attribution?

I have been these attributed starting with JR- (like dimes) and GR- so which is it and what book are they using? Or which book is the best?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Check out "A Registry of Die Varieties of Reeded Edge Half Dollars 1836-1839", by Dick Graham.

It's about a $60-$80 book last I checked. It was released just last year so you can be sure it's the most current info. image

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    See link for a summary of the book Link

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Dick Graham's book A REGISTRY OF DIE VARIETIES OF REEDED EDGE HALF DOLLARS 1836-1839 is the only reason I started collecting Reeded Edge Half Dollars. Mind you, it is still hard to attribute using only web pictures.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭
    O great, who has some in stock...anyone?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>O great, who has some in stock...anyone? >>

That's the problem. Most dealers sold out their inventory of them within weeks of release.

Try asking around at shows, shops, clubs, etc. I'm sure someone has one laying around. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dick and I blew out of the copies we had fairly soon after we received them from the publisher. We also had a very limited run of hardbound, leather books produced, but these were reserved before they were even made. I've never seen a hardbound, leather copy hit the market, but from time-to-time there is "regular" edition listed on ebay for around $80 or so. The GR stands for Graham-Reiver and both PCGS and NGC will now denote the die marriage on the slab using the GR name.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try David Kahn.
  • Options
    I believe Dave Kahn is sold out but check just in case. If he is try Rich Uhrich or Sheridan Downey, you can google them for contact info. If by chance they do, they only have 1 or 2 left so donot delay your inquiry.
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't some of the varieties determined by counting the number reeds on the edge? I remember of Jules Riever book that mentioned that. If that is so, that is a bit too tedious a task for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Dick and I blew out of the copies we had fairly soon after we received them from the publisher. We also had a very limited run of hardbound, leather books produced, but these were reserved before they were even made. I've never seen a hardbound, leather copy hit the market, but from time-to-time there is "regular" edition listed on ebay for around $80 or so. The GR stands for Graham-Reiver and both PCGS and NGC will now denote the die marriage on the slab using the GR name. >>

TomB,

Since this is a family friendly forum, try not to start your sentences like, "Dick and I blew..."

All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe Dave Kahn is sold out but check just in case. If he is try Rich Uhrich or Sheridan Downey, you can google them for contact info. If by chance they do, they only have 1 or 2 left so donot delay your inquiry. >>

I bought Richs last one a month or so ago. David Kahn was out then.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dick and I blew out of the copies we had fairly soon after we received them from the publisher. We also had a very limited run of hardbound, leather books produced, but these were reserved before they were even made. I've never seen a hardbound, leather copy hit the market, but from time-to-time there is "regular" edition listed on ebay for around $80 or so. The GR stands for Graham-Reiver and both PCGS and NGC will now denote the die marriage on the slab using the GR name. >>

TomB,

Since this is a family friendly forum, try not to start your sentences like, "Dick and I blew..." >>

D'OH!image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Hi Tom,

I've been meaning to ask you this, and this thread seems like an opportune time,

I'm curious why the print run wasn't larger, or why there has not been another printing since it would seem you have demand. Was it limited by the publisher, or by you as the authors? I would be interested in a copy, and curious, what is the minimum print run? I would think in this day and age of self-publishing, and small-batch specialty publishing, a book like this that clearly has demand should be able to basically be printed to demand, or at least in small batches of say 100 copies. Then again, I don't know much about the book industry. it just seems to be a shame you cant get more copies of that book out there to collectors, and also put some more cash in your pocket.

Add me the wait-list for the next printing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file