Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MSNS Show Report

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
Saturday was my third MSNS show held outside of Detroit, on Black Friday. The show always seems to be a great collectors show with a full boarse and hopefully some money changing hands. The reason for this being generally a good collectors show I hypothesize is due to the strong middle class of baby boomers in the Detroit suburbs. While Detroit has a pretty negative perception, the suburbs of Detroit are some of the richest area of the country and a strong middle class exists in Michigan which often times is overshadowed by the negative publicity surrounding the city center.

I drove the hour south the Macomb Community College after spending Thanksgiving at my wife's families place near Flint. Pulling into the parking lot right about the time the door opened, I was initially surprised at how full the parking lot was. I made my way across the aisles and found several really nice coins and surprisingly a few nice pieces of gold, including not one, not two, but three 1801 $10's, the nicest by far being Dave Wnuck's AU58, I also found a very nice 1800 $5 AU55 CAC with Jim McGuigan which I really liked, and a very nice 1862 AU58 $10 at the Stacks table.

The amount of collector material on the floor was very strong as one might expect and I find going to coin shows a bit distracting from my normally very focused buying habits. Case in point, I came across a very nice 1909-O 25c in VF35 and found myself negotiating to buy the coin. I own two Barbers, both in low grade and have no general interest in Barber type, why am I about to spend $1,500 on this coin?

I did get a chance to talk with Forum members Dave Wnuck, Paul Mundt (Commoncents05) and Glenn Holsonbake (Ponyexpress). Great guys and very nice to catch up with everyone.

While I did not buy any gold, I did buy a very very very nice world coin which seemingly has become a second area of interest for me. While Spanish colonials have become a focus, I couldn't pass up this 1873-A Hercule France 5 Fr. One local dealer had a really great set of coins which probably made up a portion of his personal collection. This coin along with an 1938 South Africa Shilling in P68 OGH and a thousand year old Bohemia coin with great toning made up his world coin offerings. This 5 Fr coin was a no brainer for me!

All in all a good day at the MSNS show and I look forward to attending again next year and hopefully seeing a few more forum members.

Comments

• Options
    post script: I overhead Leo Frese mentioning that he was starting a slabbing and stickering service for proof sets (as he was actively marketing them to an adjacent buyer). The sticker was for "original"...your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report.
    I hit this (the Fall) show every year religiously from 1985 - 2001, when we moved.
    Always good to hear about it, and glad it's still going strong.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

The Friday opener was well attended. I was on the run most of the day so I didn't spend much money. Talked to a lot of dealers and never herd a bad word. Saturday I plan on selling first then shop, don't care if I do ether. About 1200 people came in the door today. If that many people come on Saturday,
    no dealer should be sad. The weather got bad right at closing and turned the roads to ice. One dealer had his car totaled but was unhurt.
    All in all it was a good show day like Boosibri said.

Just got home,Miller time.image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    Highlight of the show was when an unnamed collector brought a very high grade early dollar to show the local dealer I was talking to.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It was great to catch up for a short bit at the show! I heard many large, national dealers raving about the turnout of the show, and Gary Adkins said "pound for pound, the best retail show in the country". Attendance was excellent and from what I heard, they were buying.

I feel the show is on the cusp of being a great show, and I hope the recent improvements keep the momentum going and make the show even better. A few areas I think need to be worked on are:

1) The venue. It's hard to feel like the show is great if it's held in a gymnasium. I know the show outgrew the Renaissance, but I just have to believe there is somewhere else in the greater Detroit area that could accommodate the show.

2) The ANA Roadshow Exhibit. I know some dealers were large sponsors of the ANA Exhibit with the 1804 Dollar and 1913 Liberty Nickel, and I think it was a great idea. The execution was terrible in my opinion, they were tucked in the far back corner with no signage whatsoever. I thought they should have been right in the middle of the bourse with large signs pointing the way.

The layout/table numbering system is also pretty confusing, but I got the hang of it and found everyone I needed to. Hopefully the StacksBowers auction proved to be a success, I think it helps in legitimizing the show, and I hope it will continue.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I bought some rims for my truck from a guy in the parking lot .
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. Pretty French coin!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I am going to hit the bank, then head to the show.

Can I bring my coffee in there? I got hooked on Starbucks at the Chicago show.

Edit: I was a bit confused by the OP's post..."Saturday was my third show"? My wife says today is Saturday and she's never wrong... image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Friday opener was well attended.

Brian, let's cut to the chase....................how attended was the bar after the show??image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sort of interesting the show would be the weekend of the OSU-Michigan game

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - thanks. Seems like this show has a great future.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sort of interesting the show would be the weekend of the OSU-Michigan game >>

To say nothing that all the national dealers in attendance have to travel over Thanksgiving to get there.....but it's been that
    same weekend for decades, and somehow it works.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I overhead Leo Frese mentioning that he was starting a slabbing and stickering service for proof sets (as he was actively marketing them to an adjacent buyer). The sticker was for "original"...your guess is as good as mine. >>

Good grief.... imageimage
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gorgeous 5 Fr

I picked up this World piece recently also solely because it's so eye appealing.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>gorgeous 5 Fr

I picked up this World piece recently also solely because it's so eye appealing.

imageimage >>

Nice piece. I did the same with this related 3 Mark from 1913
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traditionally, the last game of the season in the Big Ten was the Saturday prior to Thanksgiving- That has all changed in this new super conference nonsense that is wrecking the game.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are really a "Coin Guy" you just attend the show and let THE GAME be played, constantly updating on your cell phone.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Back from the show, Overall I thought it was nicely done. I suppose the only thing I'd like to see different would be the Large Banner syyle dealer signs to make it easier to identify who'ds who...Sure I had a map, but guys don't use those...

Here's my poor cell phone photo of the mini display:

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I went today. A lot of retail traffic it appeared. I bought a sweet 1821 Bustie 50c P40 thats toned a forest green and pink. Love this show!

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Any other reports from the show?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file