Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1942 and 1974 Aluminum Cents - Legal to Own?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2022 3:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Here's an interesting question. In the case of the 1974-D Aluminum Cent, according to Steve Roach of Coin World:

<< <i>The Mint’s position has been consistent: because Congress never issued an aluminum cent as legal tender, any example remains property of the federal government regardless of how long it has been in private hands. >>

That seems inconsistent with the 1942 Aluminum Cent (J2079) which appears to be legal to own and has been sold. Does J2079 contradict and defeat the government's position for the 1974-D Aluminum Cent?

Also, should the 1974-D Aluminum Cent have a different Judd number than the 1974 Aluminum Cent, or should they share the J2151 designation?

1942 Aluminum Cent - Judd-2079
grade: PCGS PR66
pedigree: Mike Byers
cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/12229741
archive: https://mikebyers.com/12229741.html

imageimage

1974-D Aluminum Cent - Judd-J2153
grade: PCGS MS63
pedigree: Harry Edmond Lawrence; Randall Lawrence
cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/28544237

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    1913 liberty nickels come to mind too on this proposition
    heck 1933 double eagles as the langbords would cry too...image
    that sac and quarter mule

strange dead end roads are found in this hobby of kings

i do think the 74 &74-d should bear different judd #'s for sure
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    It should be obvious that whatever "they" decide is the only thing that matters.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...if it was stuck in a U.S. mint and has its legal tender amount on it then it should be legal for any human being to own...regardless of whether or not it was released to the public from the U.S. Mint in which it was struck. My opinion only of course and Happy Thanksgiving everyone image

Erik
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Seems like they went after the 74-D aluminum cents more than the 74-P maybe because they knew that they gave the legislators samples of 74-P but not 74-D. Not sure how the 1942 cents got out.

That 42 is pretty and it has a slightly rotated reverse too!
    Ed
  • Options
    we had a thread on this 1942 back in 2008 by the guy who had this example graded
    he bought it raw in the 80's and introduced himself here when he decided to have it graded
    made his 1st thread about it
    thread titled..." 1942 Pattern Lincoln Cent (Big Pictures Included)"
    original thread had edge image...that is one thick planchet it was struck on too

my computer no longer links so that title will have to do
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an interesting question. In the case of the 1974-D Aluminum Cent, according to Steve Roach of Coin World:

<< <i>The Mint’s position has been consistent: because Congress never issued an aluminum cent as legal tender, any example remains property of the federal government regardless of how long it has been in private hands. >>

That seems inconsistent with the 1942 Aluminum Cent (J2079) which appears to be legal to own and has been sold. Does J2079 contradict and defeat the government's position for the 1974-D Aluminum Cent?

Also, should the 1974-D Aluminum Cent have a different Judd number than the 1974 Aluminum Cent, or should they share the J2151 designation?

imageimage >>

Personally, I think that the Governments position is similar to the coin collectors position. That being, whatever seems popular art the time.

Specifically, 494,000 1909-SVDB coins were minted. They are fairly common if you really think about it since a bunch were saved and you can buy one just about anywhere yet, the prices can be HUGE!

Why? Because everybody wants one whether they are coin collectors or not. They just want them.

The Governments position on certain coins follows the same philosophy in that some are deemed illegal because they were never issued for circulation while others, which meet the exact same criteria, they just don't care about.

It really does not make any sense.

As for the Judd Numbers, I have no expertise in this area but I would assume that different date/mm combinations should have different Judd numbers. Especially this 1974-D since 95% of the folks who read the initial reports just "assumed" reference was being made to the 1974 cents. Nobody ever gave it a second thought until it was pointed out to them that this was new and technically unheard of.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 1942 cent was issued as legal tender. 1913 Liberty Nickels have nothing in common with the aluminium cents as to their legality. The argument for the 1933 Saints is similar, none were given legal tender status as none were legally released. (those that got out of the mint were stolen)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>No 1942 cent was issued as legal tender. 1913 Liberty Nickels have nothing in common with the aluminium cents as to their legality. >>

i beg to differ...not duke it out or nothing

both are legal to own and sell
    as proven by past and future auctions

so they share that current legal status

why the 13 nickel ever got free play is beyond me

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No 1942 cent was issued as legal tender. 1913 Liberty Nickels have nothing in common with the aluminium cents as to their legality. >>

i beg to differ...not duke it out or nothing

both are legal to own and sell
    as proven by past and future auctions

so they share that current legal status

why the 13 nickel ever got free play is beyond me >>

How can the government claim ownership of something they have never claimed they made? Regardless of that, no Liberty Nickel had legal tender status at the time it was minted, so it still has nothing in common with the 1974 or 1933 Saint and none of the arguments used for these apply.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that nickels did have legal tender status up to a small maximum back in 1913.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me also add some 'stuff' to the debate.... I think there is an aluminum 1972 cent as well.....I have seen it... would like to get it authenticated...owner reluctant - at this time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would "How were they obtained and/or made?" enter into the equation?

For example, if a pattern coin was made, rejected, and sent for destruction, and Tommy the Mint Man steals it, sells it to WEBUYCOINS, then I would think the mint has a claim on it.
    Same example, but the pattern is PRESENTED as a gift to a senior treasury person, then I would think they have ownership.
    (I question the validity of the government giving something that has value to one of their own, but that is another issue).

If Tommy the Mint Man decides to crank out a few "specials" on his own, using Mint Tools, Material, etc., like missing letters, marks, wrong materials, etc., I would think the mint has a claim on them.
    If the mint just opsies a coin, stamps a dime on a penny blank, and ships it out, then finders keepers.

I think about somewhat like the manufacturing plants I worked at, where we developed new integrated circuits (chips). We created a lot of scrap, devices that never made it to production, sample for customers, etc. Everything that was not paid for belonged to the company. If you take it home, you could be fired for theft, and the company had a claim to get it back. If it was given to you or sold as a sample to a customer, then it is free and clear.

So, back to the original question, how was ORIGINAL ownership obtained?
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    Here's an interesting question. In the case of the 1974-D Aluminum Cent, according to Steve Roach of Coin World:

<< The Mint’s position has been consistent: because Congress never issued an aluminum cent as legal tender, any example remains property of the federal government regardless of how long it has been in private hands. >>

I don't believe that that has ever been the Mint's position. The 1974 is not illegal to own because it's aluminum, nor because it was never issued as legal tended, but because the only people with access to the coins - goveernment employees - were expressly instructed to return them. That was not the case with the 1942 or with the aluminum Indian Cent die trials.

The situation with the 74-D is more complicated.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@ricko said:
    Let me also add some 'stuff' to the debate.... I think there is an aluminum 1972 cent as well.....I have seen it... would like to get it authenticated...owner reluctant - at this time. Cheers, RickO

If there's a 72 in aluminum, it's probably struck on a foreign planchet. Very cool because of what happened in 74-75, but the coin would not be especially important, valuable or illegal.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a Nepal 2 Paisa aluminum piece around this time that was about the size of a cent.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2022 4:27AM

@CaptHenway said:
    There was a Nepal 2 Paisa aluminum piece around this time that was about the size of a cent.

Bump

1974-S Aluminum Cent - Struck on Nepal 2 Paisa planchet
    grade: PCGS PR68 CAM
    pedigree: Stewart Blay
    cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43626249

This coin was just shown in at FUN in @RedCopper's Phenomenal Lincoln Cents collection:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1069059/the-exhibition-of-phenomenal-lincoln-cents-is-at-fun-and-open-for-viewing#latest

Imagine having this and the 1942 aluminum cent in the OP???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file