Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Milk Duds Hank Aaron

1963 Bazooka Bubble Gum

Hi everyone

I was just wondering what you guys would do?

I've been wanting the '63 Mays for some time and one fell into my lap.

Would you cut out the Mays or leave it intact.

I was considering filling the box up like I do with empty wax and sealing it for handling. Or maybe just leave it exactly how it is. Right now it's in a plastic "standup" holder for display.

Thanx!
Mike

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    No question in my mind that I would leave it.
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Wow, that's a tough call, but a beautiful piece!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    leave it intact

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - No way to cutting it! That is one fantastic box. Definitely keep as is.
    Daniel
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Agree w/ the masses, leave it alone. Its an awesome display piece the way it is.

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    Agree with everyone else ...............leave intact ! Why not get the whole box graded ????
    Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I need stuff like that to fall in my lap. I get things like bills and home projects landing on me. Cool piece Mike, keep as is. Doug
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Leave it as is!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    What a gorgeous box. It'd be a shame to cut it. I'd leave as is and continue the hunt for a cut one.

You can always cut later if so desired. It looks like you could pull a high grade with a good cut, but still...that intact piece is pretty awesome and something I'd much rather have than the cut version.

Great find!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    The box looks pristine. I'd only cut it if there was damage to the box elsewhere. But in this case the box is really nice and I'd keep it intact.
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Keep intact
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I like your idea about filling the box up and sealing it for handling. I think it will display nicely that way. It's a great looking piece.

Congrats,
    Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

I like your idea about filling the box up and sealing it for handling. I think it will display nicely that way. It's a great looking piece.

Congrats,
    Donato >>

That was my initial plan Donato. Thanx.

Thanx everyone for your input - I thought that would be the consensus - will post after I do the box.
    Mike
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... if that box could talk:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Mike ... if that box could talk:

image >>

Mike
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Grade it as a complete box by psa
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Leave it! Sweet box.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    CUT!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Don't cut it. It's a great looking piece.
  • Leave it as as Mike.

Can always be cut at a future date, can never be put back together again if cut
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Mike this is George, please steep away from the box!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT CUT!!
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The complete box has to be scarcer than the single cut cards and is much more eye appealing. Besides it represents an era more as a complete box. My vote-Leave as is.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    The box is saturated with period charm and innocence.

DON'T YOU DARE CUT THAT GORGEOUS BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could fairly easily find another '63 Bazooka Willie Mays single; unless there's been a huge find of those boxes, and I doubt it, you would come to hate yourself if you dared to "slit its throat". As for filling it up, I disagree with this option as well.

The box almost appears to be unfolded. This is very rare in this form. In my opinion this piece is perfect for third party encapsulation, and the grade should be stunningly high. Even if "AUTHENTIC", and know that term means crap to some collectors. In this case, they need to think outside the box. I would approach both PSA and SGC. Let each firm give you a firm answer about what they could do for you. Let me explain with some personal experience. Back in 2008, I approached PSA first regarding the grading/encapsulation of an ultra rare UNFOLDED 1962 JELL-O complete box with a noteworthy Hall-of-Famer as the free baseball card prize. PSA informed me they didn't grade complete boxes. Their loss. I approached SGC at the National. Sean Skeffington said "yes", thought a bit and said "no", then thought some more about it and quickly changed his mind to "yes" again. The result was smashing, and I mean absolutely smashing. Your precious Willie Mays Bazooka box appears pristine, and if it indeed is, it definitely belongs in a TPG holder. Preferrably PSA; but, in such a rare case as this, wealthy, intelligent collectors should think "outside the box" of one company or another, and deem it a world class Willie Mays baseball card display piece worthy of the finest Willie Mays collection assemblage on Planet Earth.

Congratulations on a fabulous acquisition, collector warrior. Here's wishing you good wisdom to know what best to do. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I'm a typical 'cut and slab it' guy, but I like your idea if filling and displaying. Great piece.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Incredible input!

Hey Brian - super post - my first plan and one I'll probably do - is display the box whole.

For those who lean towards TPG - I sure understand - but since it will not be sold - the display will be in keeping with how I display boxes - like empty wax.

Thanx again.
    Mike
    Hi everyone

I appreciated all the input and to be frank - I really wouldn't cut it up - just wanted to know if there were some who would - it was more like a survey - and thanx again.

I did with the "flat" what I do with my empty wax boxes - it was reinforced with "foam posterboard" and shrink wrapped. That way someone can pick it up and look at it without it getting dirty or worn.

I did consider sending it to PSA but would rather have it this way.

Happy Thanxgiving to everyone!
    Mike
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE!!!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Mike--

As the saying goes, to thine own self be true. Your Willie Mays box is simple exquisite. You did a superb job of carefully assembling it without messing anything up; easier said than done, I'm sure of that. I could have gotten one of those in the summer of '63 at the OSCO Drug Store adjacent to the Jewel Supermarket semi-connected to it on Touhy Avenue in Skokie, Illinois where I lived back then. But I didn't get a box of Bazooka gum that year, much to my regret at this moment. I could still envision them in my mind, too. However, my mom wasn't with me when I saw them. She probably wouldn't have wanted me to have that much bubble gum around, since I already had a lot of mercury fillings in my mouth by that time. Just another in the many vicissitudes of why collecting postwar regional/food issues was a perplexing problem for a kid collector. Many times the boxes got shuffled around and scuffed up on the metal shelves, with the fragile baseball cards all too often being the recipient of the jostling. To wit, the fact that your beauty survived all that, AND the decision by you to keep it just the way it would have looked to a baseball card lovin' youngin' way back in 1963. Boy, right now that seems like a lifetime ago.

And doesn't Willie look happy? It may be the same image as his '62 Topps regular bb card, but so what; that image was one of Willie Mays's best shots. He looks so very happy, which makes that box and everything else about it glow. Dynamite Say Hey display piece.

Again, a hearty and sincere congratulations to you, Mike. For what it's worth, well done, collector warrior!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece Mike. I'm getting more and more into display boxes. Did you wrap and add the foam poster board yourself?
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that is a superb piece. Great job.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike you made the right decision. Looks great! It can be enjoyed by many they way you chose to display it.
    Thanx and thanx for sharing Brian.

Thanx to everyone else too!

Patrick - I do fortify every box I shrink wrap.

Here's a damaged box that did well with this technique:

I have gotten better at shrink wrapping since I did this box.
    Mike
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! I was going to just use peanuts, but I like the foam board as a box can still be damaged pretty easily with only peanuts.

• A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    You picked the perfect use for that box, as it makes a beautiful display. Enjoy!
  • Mike,

I knew there was never any chance of that piece being cut up. image
    I do like what you did with it!
    Hi everyone and Happy New Year

Not sure how this happened but I was looking for games and found this Milk Duds box and thought it would be cool to put them together and shrink wrap.

I did make a rookie error. When you buy the box unfolded, ya have to look close at the centering - I missed the fact that this one was centered to the left - so on the next few I picked up, I was more vigilant.

1971 Milk Duds Harmon Killebrew

And then I reinforce the interior prior to shrink wrap:

And the box shrink wrapped:

I picked up 3 more - haven't arrived yet - and one is Clemente! Will post when done.

Thanx for viewing - again Happy New Year!
    Mike
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Those look great shrink wrapped!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Love these wrapped empties!

As always, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the other 3.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    Mike cool milk dud box, how many do you have total? I only need six more I think some hard ones to boot. I need a killebrew /munson and one of the rose boxes and a couple of others.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice boxes! Neat idea to shrink wrap.

Shane

Mike how did you shrink rap.
    Thanx everyone! Very kind.
    Mike

<< <i>Mike how did you shrink rap. >>

Hiya George.

First - this is my first box.

Shrink wrap kits are all over ebay - depending on what size heat sealer you want - I would eventually like a really large one to seal some of my bigger games.

You place the item into the "shrink wrap" baggie - then "seal" off the edges with the sealer that looks like a guillotine.

Trim the excess that wasn't sealed - and hit it with the (hair) dryer - you have to keep it moving or it will melt the shrink wrap.
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shrinkwrap idea is a very good one~would probably work well for empty wax boxes, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    works great for wax boxes, actually improves them quite a bit by sucking down corners, etc.
    There is a board member here that did a really good how to video, hopefully he posts the link.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>works great for wax boxes, actually improves them quite a bit by sucking down corners, etc.
    There is a board member here that did a really good how to video, hopefully he posts the link. >>

You jogged my memory just now, Anthony~that was indeed a great video...I will have to try that!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>The shrinkwrap idea is a very good one~would probably work well for empty wax boxes, too. >>

Hiya Tim

I did a thread on shrink wrapping these boxes - some of them were in "fair" condition and the combination of reinforcing and shrinking greatly improved their appearance.

Mike
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Great writeup Mike. Thanks for sharing!

aconte
    Hi everyone

I want to add a few more Milk Duds boxes that I just shrink wrapped.

Roberto Clemente, Ron Santo and Orlando Cepeda

These display really nice boxed and wrapped for protection from handling.

The Clemente was really nice - looks great in my hand!

This is one of those deals - do you like them folded or flat or grade-holdered.

Again, thanx for viewing.
    Mike