golf cards

who else here collects golf cards?

Comments

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    here's a few of my favs:

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few to post in the morning...
  • Options
    I was going thru the archives and saw the 65 palmers thread...so I gotta post mine!

but I still need 2 more backs to complete the card, they are tougher!!!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Did the Kelloggs card come in the cereal like the 70's 3-d versions? Also what does "PEP" designate?
  • Options

<< <i>Did the Kelloggs card come in the cereal like the 70's 3-d versions? Also what does "PEP" designate? >>

well before my time but apparently there was a kelloggs cereal called "pep" and apparently this was a set of 42 celebrities (5 baseball players and 3 golfers) and they were included in the cereal. also there was an apparent mail-in for an album that held all 42 cards and I've only seen 1 of these ever....

it also houses a George Mikan rookie which is the highest valued in the set...however, the snead seems to be one of the more elusive.
  • Options
    You mention back variations of the Palmer, but all 4 flips say the same thing. Are there any differences among your 4 copies, besides the grades?
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I have these. I just posted them here . I looked for a 1968 mira palmer and convinced only 2 exist in the entire world and the owner wants a small fortune for it. Which is fair I guess since he has the only ones and prob wants them for his own collection. Luckily he had an earlier card to go after. I didn't like the 65 palmer raw but it grew on me Slabbed. I'm looking for a 1926 spalding Walter Hagan with the common back though. They used to pop up often but haven't seen one in a while.

Bobby Jones 1926 Lambert & Butler Robert T.
    Ben Hogan 1951 Berk Ross
    Arnold Palmer 1965 Bancroft Tiddlers Giants Of Sport
    Jack Nicklaus 1971 Barratt & Co Famous Sportsmen
    Payne Stewart 1983 Miller Press
    Greg Norman 1986 Panini Supersport Uk
    Phil Mickelson 1992 Diamond Sports
    Tiger Woods 1996 S.I. For Kids

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    dan,

yes, this particular card literally consists of 2 different cards if you want the full palmer card.

the back/bio of the Arnold Palmer card is located on a completely separate card, that card is on the Mathews soccer card.

the back of the palmer card is actually the bio of of a guy named Piggot.

I know, confusing as all get out....
  • Options
    I am really envious of that 83 miller press stewart! those are hard to track down...I have the 84, 85 and 86 somewhere that I will dig up.

also like that 86 norman. I think I have the seve rookie from that series....will look and post a scan.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's cut too short and couldn't get a number grade.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    yeah, but it's one of those cards that even an "a" is good enough for me.

you don't have an extra do you? ; )
  • Options
    51 Snead full box
  • Options
    That's the only one I have Im on the look out for one that could get a number grade though. If I ever find one this one you have dibs on this one
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did the Kelloggs card come in the cereal like the 70's 3-d versions? Also what does "PEP" designate? >>

well before my time but apparently there was a kelloggs cereal called "pep" and apparently this was a set of 42 celebrities (5 baseball players and 3 golfers) and they were included in the cereal. also there was an apparent mail-in for an album that held all 42 cards and I've only seen 1 of these ever....

it also houses a George Mikan rookie which is the highest valued in the set...however, the snead seems to be one of the more elusive. >>

Here's one of the other golfers from the set - Lloyd Mangrum - who is very tough to find as well. This is the only PSA 9, though it does have the OC qualifier.

• Options
    Might as well finish displaying the Pep run w/James Ferrier and TPK w/Henry Cotton and Peter Thompson...
    My Hagen needs a trim job, and I really need to get in on a pre-56 special to get some of these slabbed.
  • Options
    One golfer short on my 26 L&B run...
  • Options
    Some more Bobby Jones...
  • Options
    eagles,

what's up with that mickelson card again? I was reading on another thread that it has 2 different variations, I thought it was just a black bordered card?....

larkin,

Wheaties box is bananas! how long and where did ya find that? and why isn't that 27 jones rook graded? looks good enough....
  • Options
    I think there is only a silver foil boarder... It just appears black in the scan. I don't love the card but it is so much earlier than his upper deck I had to get it
  • Options
    here's a few more scans...

the 37 doughnuts jones is a rarity, kinda like that 83 payne miller press. the "a" is good enough for me.

I like the tiger psa sample card too. not a heavy hitter by any means, but while not really a tiger fan I like how psa used it to sample their services during the golf card craze of 01 and 02.

and here's that seve rookie that I was talking about....he was/still is one of my favs! well, him and jimenez!!!

• Options

<< <i>I think there is only a silver foil boarder... It just appears black in the scan. I don't love the card but it is so much earlier than his upper deck I had to get it >>

ok, that's what I was thinking. thanks for the clarification....the only earlier known "card" for him the exists is an early Arizona state card. I've only seen 1 of them, it was ungraded and the guy wanted $5K for it. granted it was in decent shape, but $5K? not sure if he was expecting to get that or if that was his non-sell price.

I look just about everyday to see if another surfaces and have yet to see another one in about 4 years...
  • Options
    Picked up the Wheaties box back in January on eBay for $65, thought it was a steal when the BO was accepted. The 27 Jones will be graded, still debating which company will do it; as long as it's at least a 4 I did well on that one. I'll probably crack the 26 and submit it at the same time. I've picked up quite a few golf BVGs that I'd like to get in a different slab.

My Mickelson scans black as well, but it's silver bordered...

• Options

<< <i>here's a few more scans...

the 37 doughnuts jones is a rarity, kinda like that 83 payne miller press. the "a" is good enough for me. >>

I'd be happy to have the Donut in any grade as well. I think I've only seen one surface since I started collecting Jones.

The W551 Sarazen is pretty tough as well, my copy would only get an Auth and is pretty much completely missing the right border.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those Panini's and 79 HOFers, they haven't really been on my radar.
  • Options
    cool.. i never knew about the Arizona card. The interesting but also frustrating part about collecting these sports is the challenge to even find them for sale. If a person owns the only one you are able to find he can pretty much name his price.. but you could also stumble accross the same card in a dollar bin.. i think the 68 palmer was offered to me for like 10K. I thought it was worth around 800-1200.

That 1973 PSA 10 is monster. Great card!
  • Options
    eagles,

you talkin about the 65 palmer 9? was it from zenbaseball?
  • Options
    No it was 1968 Mira Palmer. I think it was a Psa 4. He wanted like 12k for the 6. Hey he has an impossible to find card that he prob doesn't really want to sell so just throwing out a crazy offer. I'm doing that with this cricket card. Not a big deal. I just told him we were to far apart and passed.
  • Options
    you got a pic of the 68 mira? I'm intrigued...
  • Options
    It's about the same size as the Panjni cards from 68. The stock might be a little thicker. Most of the cards are not super rare. The Lew Alcindor or wilt chamberlain pop up for sale pretty often I don't know why this is so hard to find image
  • Options
    I like it. not $12,500 or even $14,500 like, but I do like it!

are these blank back cards?
  • Options
    and are those nuns, albino sand people or clan members in the back ground?
  • Options
    No, the backs are similar to the panini backs. There are also 2 different variations. Similar to the Valida panini backs.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys have for Gary Player's rookie card? Is it his 1971 Barratt?
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    I have a bunch currently at PSA from the 30's. Hopefully will be popping in the next few days as they are under the 20 day turnaround
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>and are those nuns, albino sand people or clan members in the back ground? >>

must be the folks who convinced him to mix the iced tea with the lemonade.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Rarely seen, white-robed Jawas.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested, I have a really nice 1933 Sport Kings Walter Hagen PSA 6 that I am selling but would consider trading for high quality basketball or other HOF RC's.
    gregmo32@aol.com
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I think Players rookie is the 71 Barret.. I actually have that card somewhere now that you mention it. I need to find it.
  • Options
    anyone have or know of any early chi chi cards? I have the 90 pro set (the earliest ive seen), but hardly think that qualifies as a "rookie".

talk about a character!!
  • Options

<< <i>anyone have or know of any early chi chi cards? I have the 90 pro set (the earliest ive seen), but hardly think that qualifies as a "rookie".

talk about a character!! >>

This is the earliest I've seen documented, but haven't tried to track down a copy:

1965-67 Spalding Advisory Staff Photos #7 Chi Chi Rodriguez
  • Options
    Probably my favorite Chi Chi card, though a couple years after the 90 Pro Set:
    imageimage
  • Options
    the clown prince! please tell me that's a regular sized card, larkin? if so, it's going on my want list...
  • Options

<< <i>the clown prince! please tell me that's a regular sized card, larkin? if so, it's going on my want list... >>

No, it's approximately 5.75x3.75. Awesome set though, with nicknames for all and nice writeups on the backs. You'll need to make sure to get a first run set to have the Chi Chi card in it. This one's way overpriced, but gives you an idea of the others included: Link

Stated print runs are way off, at 1210/10000 mine's about the highest number I've ever seen. I'd guess only about 1500 are out there.
  • Options
    stupid ocd! for some reason I just don't like oversized cards....I may have to swallow a Xanax and drink a beer and purchase one of these though.
  • Options

<< <i>stupid ocd! for some reason I just don't like oversized cards....I may have to swallow a Xanax and drink a beer and purchase one of these though. >>

I feel the same way. Only go with oversized cards as an absolute last resort. Damn the alcindor and Namath rookies
  • Options
    zen has PSA9 Hall of Famer's available now, but holy cow $2K each?!?!?!? What's a realistic price on those?
  • Options
    It's not vintage but I did start a PSA set of 81 Donruss in 8-9... I'm 15 cards into the 66
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>stupid ocd! for some reason I just don't like oversized cards....I may have to swallow a Xanax and drink a beer and purchase one of these though. >>

I feel the same way. Only go with oversized cards as an absolute last resort. Damn the alcindor and Namath rookies >>

Easy fix on the Alcindor, just go with one of the two different back versions of the 1968 Mira, which I believe I remember you already purchased one of. Maybe not as iconic as the 1969, but a year earlier and standard size holder too.

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a golf post here!

I sold the majority of my collection, but can't stay away forever!

IF anyone has any golf card related questions, post em here or feel free to PM me.

Dave

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    didn't wanna highjack larkin's thread, but stumbled across this oddball the other day. epitome of a golf card!

surprised they haven't done a series of cards like this of just sh!t shots...kinda like na's 16 a while back...

1986/87 question of sport, bernhard langer, # nno

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to see a golf post here!

I sold the majority of my collection, but can't stay away forever!

IF anyone has any golf card related questions, post em here or feel free to PM me.

Dave >>

Hiya Dave

Who was the golf collector with the Lee Trevino icon - was it you - can't remember. I remember making a joke - when he started using the icon and told him that was a great "George Lopez" icon.

I do have a Donruss set - but that's about it.
    Mike