Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

interesting ebay auction that just closed...8 reales cut out, post yours if you have one !

link
I jumped into the bidding on this (way, way below the hammer !) even though I couldn't find it in my book...anyone know what we have here ?
I'm guessing that its from a carribean country and the cut out has been filled in....I wonder if the plug could be succesfully removed ?

Were these filled in possibly, to be re-used as coinage somewhere else ?
Or would this be the work (the fill in) of some uneducated coin collector/dealer ?

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is a really big plug (and hole filled).

<< <i>I'm guessing that its from a carribean country and the cut out has been filled in. >>

Unsure about the origins or reasons, but that is definitely a plug.

<< <i>Were these filled in possibly, to be re-used as coinage somewhere else ? >>

Possibly, but most Central and South American countries used counterstamps. I know this one has the palm tree stamp but that's not the kind of stamp they used. Typically the official stamps were round with some sort of government seal or emblem. Or the moneyer's initials / monogram. Not a palm tree.

<< <i>Or would this be the work (the fill in) of some uneducated coin collector/dealer ? >>

Or a jeweler ... hmm we'll never know.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's something similar...link
    the cut outs were also stamped with a denomination and used as minor coinage....this was done all over the carribean it seems and these cut out pieces fetch a few bucks !

I haven't found out where the ebay coin hails from yet, but I don't doubt that the plug is a filled cut out...

• Options
    This type of palm tree counterstamp has been attributed at one time or another to various places, including Barbados (was thought to be a pineapple instead of a palm). The current consensus attributes it to Haiti.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    text,link,link,link
    Here are a few HA.com archive pieces...I can't find that they've ever sold the actual outer ring ( very rare, there is a decent picture in Elizondo's 8 reale book)

Thislink (same as above post) has a good write up explaining what these are all about....

Super fascinating !
    I'm sure there are collectors here who have examples....if only they would jump in and share some image It's amazing what these sell for...something that many collectors would dismiss as plain and simple damaged goods... You could buy a collection of mint state 8 R's for the price of one legit ring dollar !
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the photos the coin appears cast and plated. Whatever it is, I would doubt it's authenticity.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From the photos the coin appears cast and plated. Whatever it is, I would doubt it's authenticity. >>

This was my first thought as well
  • Options
    There seems to be a documented cast counterfeit example of this Haitian counterstamp in the Lissade Collection (Ex: Carlos Jara). Check out p.152 onward in the "Money of the Caribbean". Lots of interesting info on this counterstamp. Carlos posted here a few times, but the best way to reach him would be via his email address that you can find on Mexican Coin Company's website under Bio for Carlos.

Here's the link to the book, if you don't have a copy:

Click me
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone thinking Sea salvage?

That was my first thought

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Sea salvage was my first thought too...although conterfiet or bad pics also crossed my mind.
    Seems like a few folks thought there was something there though, the bidding took off with 10 or 15 minutes left. From $40 or so to $400+...Santiago mint ?
    I'm thinking it must be a filled cut out though...that would explain the price , even for a severly messed up one.

• Options
    Two K...thanks for the link !
    It's on the list, just as you said, the only known Santiago. Holed counterstamped and later plugged, cast counterfiet...19.41 grams

All the info is there actually, including some interesting speculation as to why they were filled back in.

The counterfiet piece appears to be rather collectable, so I wonder if this another from the original casting, or a fake of the fake ?
    Is it a contemporary counterfiet or something newer ?

Very interesting ! Looks like somebody indeed may have scored on this one !Too bad I didn't try a little harder to win it image

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    From your enthusiasm I'm wondering if you actually did win it? If you did congrats. Personally, I would pass even if it proves to be an authentic contemporary counterfeit. The color/toning isn't my style. I actually was thinking fake too, but didn't want to say anything because I'm far from an expert in these.

I stand corrected on the palm tree stamp. I wasn't aware those had been used in the Caribbean. Most were small round stamps.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    No I didn't win it, and some how I doubt I would have been able to....my guess is that whoever won it probably knew exactly what it was and wasn't going to let it get away !

As much as I love this area of numimatics, collecting Carribean ring dollars and cut out pieces is a bit out of my league...going in strong to win a cast counterfiet piece,
    as vauable as it probably is to a certain group of collectors, doesn't really fit in with what I do collect.

In other words, it wouldn't make much sense to own this piece but not really be able to afford to add anything more to the collection...image

What's cool is that something like this pops up on ebay, by a non coin seller, with no real info listed in the auction, and still a bunch of bidders find it and go to town .

What is also very cool is that TwoKopieki was able to link up all the necissary info to identify a rather obscure coin.

Thanks again 2K for helping make this forum a place to learn !image
  • Options
  • Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    My condolences to the person that paid north of $400 for this fake. These are sold in tourist shops all over the Caribbean, usually marked "copy". I have even seen them in sets of "pirate coins of the Caribbean islands" that contain cut 8s and other counterstamped 8s...all copies of coins. You can buy the entire set for under $10
  • Options
  • Options

Saving images for future use.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

Those pictures say cast all day long. I'm amazed that people would fall for something like this.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was sold for $9.99 so the buyer probably knew what he/she was getting.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television