Home Precious Metals
Options

CLCT nearing 14-year high.

13»

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Just saw this thread. Good discussion.

Got out at $24.85, and am glad I did. I never mind missing the absolute peak (and who knows, maybe it will recover and run even higher?), as long as I'm satisfied with my own performance.

I bought in at a $9.52 low a couple of years ago, and have very much enjoyed the ride. I've reinvested my dividends, so on a dollar averaged basis my cost is a tad above that level, but still fairly low.

I decided to exit and take profits primarily because of the very metric that db cited... October's dismal submissions. If the numbers turn around, and the price is right, I may jump back in.

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Just saw this thread. Good discussion.

Got out at $24.85, and am glad I did. I never mind missing the absolute peak (and who knows, maybe it will recover and run even higher?), as long as I'm satisfied with my own performance.

I bought in at a $9.52 low a couple of years ago, and have very much enjoyed the ride. I've reinvested my dividends, so on a dollar averaged basis my cost is a tad above that level, but still fairly low.

I decided to exit and take profits primarily because of the very metric that db cited... October's dismal submissions. If the numbers turn around, and the price is right, I may jump back in. >>

You did fantastic!!!
    My only regret with selling out is I had some shares in a regular account where it jacks up my income. 2 kids in college and I doubt I will qualify for any aid. I was planning on submitting the FAFSA for the first time but I think it will be a waste of time this (next) year. I guess it's a good "problem" to have.
    November numbers are looking better than October, but just on par with last November. So there is still about a 50K coin deficit compared to last year.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business must be picking up based on the "Turn around times" posted.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought in at a $9.52 low a couple of years ago, and have very much enjoyed the ride. I've reinvested my dividends, so on a
    My only regret with selling out is I had some shares in a regular account where it jacks up my income. 2 kids in college and I doubt I will qualify for any aid. I was planning on submitting the FAFSA for the first time but I think it will be a waste of time this (next) year. I guess it's a good "problem" to have. >>

Yea no reason u or your kids should pay yourselves for your own college bills... Lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    My only regret with selling out is I had some shares in a regular account where it jacks up my income. 2 kids in college and I doubt I will qualify for any aid. I was planning on submitting the FAFSA for the first time but I think it will be a waste of time this (next) year. I guess it's a good "problem" to have. >>

Yea no reason u or your kids should pay yourselves for your own college bills... Lol >>

When you're footing $90K/yr in college bills, then you can LOL. I don't care how much you make, that hurts
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yea no reason u or your kids should pay yourselves for your own college bills... Lol >>

When you're footing $90K/yr in college bills, then you can LOL. I don't care how much you make, that hurts >>

Dbcoin most likely has a good point here. Many universities structure tuition based on income an need rather than cost of education. If they did not rely on dbcoin to subsidized everyone elses kid, the tuition would most likely be $25,000 per student, rather than $45,000.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

When you're footing $90K/yr in college bills, then you can LOL. I don't care how much you make, that hurts >>

Dbcoin most likely has a good point here. Many universities structure tuition based on income an need rather than cost of education. If they did not rely on dbcoin to subsidized everyone elses kid, the tuition would most likely be $25,000 per student, rather than $45,000. >>

My daughters roommate is from a "poor" family that has 9 kids. She got a free ride. My daughter pays full rate. Fair? If you make over $100K, forget about getting aid. Better to be in debt up to your eyeballs with no assets as far as college aid goes.
  • Options
    I always wondered and gave advice to some people a few times, why become a citizen when u get everything free right now, bout 4-5 years ago, lol....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Down 5% today and close to $20. (6.5% dividend based on $20 share price) D. Hall did just recently sold 20k shares for a cool $440+k .. thinking of retiring? He still owns 8% of the company's outstanding stock.
    Thanks dbcoins for the October "head's up."

edited to correct my math
  • Options

<< <i>Down 5% today and close to $20. (6.5% dividend based on $20 share price) D. Hall did just recently sold 20k shares for a cool $4+ million .. thinking of retiring? He still owns 8% of the company's outstanding stock.
    Thanks dbcoins for the October "head's up." >>

It's a simple company to predict. They tell you every day what their numbers are. They have actually made up some of their October shortage but are still behind last year. There is still a few weeks left for them to make a mad dash and catch up. I still like the company but I defer to their numbers.
  • Options

<< <i>They tell you every day what their numbers are >>

Where are they posted?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They tell you every day what their numbers are >>

Where are they posted? >>

30 day cert rate, 1 year cert rate, daily odometer, warranty costs, backlog (updated weekly)
    PCGS stats

daily odometer
    PSA stats

I keep a spreadsheet and compare it every day looking for trends
  • Options
    Thanks..
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have issued shares.

Wall Street bankers are blasted all the time but revered when they recommend a company do stock buybacks which are the biggest scheme going. Investors psychology is awesome.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>They should have issued shares.

Wall Street bankers are blasted all the time but revered when they recommend a company do stock buybacks which are the biggest scheme going. Investors psychology is awesome. >>

Investors don't take kindly when you do a secondary at a high and leave them no room for profit.
  • Options

<< <i>

Wall Street bankers are blasted all the time but revered when they recommend a company do stock buybacks which are the biggest scheme going. Investors psychology is awesome. >>

Investors don't take kindly when you do a secondary at a high and leave them no room for profit. >>

Investors should care about where the stock will be next year, not next week, and they've been conned into thinking stock buybacks are a good thing.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving back up....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still holding for my 10%+ yield. That's why I don't sell. Where do I put the cash then??
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Still holding for my 10%+ yield. That's why I don't sell. Where do I put the cash then?? >>

Under the bed...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still holding for my 10%+ yield. That's why I don't sell. Where do I put the cash then?? >>

Current yield is 5.9%.
    Still great!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    earnings will be announced Feb 4 after COB. Look for flat numbers. Almost no growth. No growth companies aren't rewarded. This has gotten ahead of itself. January 2015 coin certs are up 1% over 2014 coin certs. Are other 1% growing companies getting rewarded?

I can't play here at this point in the cycle. Love the company, just not growing. Stock at $24, should be $18
  • Options
    One positive aspect...dividends have been increased effective 2/28 to $.35 per quarter .. $1.40 a year. That alone, in my opinion, should prevent the stock from dropping below $20.
  • Options

<< <i>One positive aspect...dividends have been increased effective 2/28 to $.35 per quarter .. $1.40 a year. That alone, in my opinion, should prevent the stock from dropping below $20. >>

Not if investors view the dividend as unsustainable, which it is. Companies that payvbig dividends-abscent cash flow- are saying "we cant find any opportunities or have any ideas to grow our business".

• Options

<< <i>One positive aspect...dividends have been increased effective 2/28 to $.35 per quarter .. $1.40 a year. That alone, in my opinion, should prevent the stock from dropping below $20. >>

I am scratching my head at this one. It makes no sense. None. They weren't covering the dividend with GAAP earnings nor cash flow as it was. They were making great strides towards covering the dividend and then they move the bar. Stupid move. They should have CUT the dividend to $1/sh. They would be covering it on cash flow and probably GAAP this year. They stock would have probably initially went down then risen. Take a look at all the negative comments on SeekingAlpha to their latest article. People who don't know the company won't touch it.

SA CLCT article

I fear a coin slowdown will cause a dividend cut in the future.
  • Options

<< <i>

Not if investors view the dividend as unsustainable, which it is. Companies that payvbig dividends-abscent cash flow- are saying "we cant find any opportunities or have any ideas to grow our business". >>

Funny thing..CLCT has been paying so called "unsustainable" dividends for the last 5 years w/o any issues and the stock has gone up 7 fold. A lot of so called investors, have missed the boat on this one.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not if investors view the dividend as unsustainable, which it is. Companies that payvbig dividends-abscent cash flow- are saying "we cant find any opportunities or have any ideas to grow our business". >>

Funny thing..CLCT has been paying so called "unsustainable" dividends for the last 5 years w/o any issues and the stock has gone up 7 fold. A lot of so called investors, have missed the boat on this one. >>

Eventually they will be cut if things go downhill and the stock will fall dramatically. It is a tough purchase for anyone looking to get in now. Check out seadrill for an example. Wow did people get burned on that one.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Investors don't take kindly when you do a secondary at a high and leave them no room for profit. >>

Investors should care about where the stock will be next year, not next week, and they've been conned into thinking stock buybacks are a good thing. >>

I dont mind when a company buys back its own shares when it does it in smart manner versus a puny dividend. Take GILD for example. I am hoping they take advantage of the swings in their stock price and buy low, keep developing new drugs, buy out promising drug companies, and use that HEP C cash cow to move the company along.

Otherwise you are right. Sickening when a company buys back stock at highs just to boost their EPS and get high level exec bonuses due to reaching goals. Hasnt IBM been doing just that?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sickening when a company buys back stock at highs just to boost their EPS and get high level exec bonuses due to reaching goals. Hasnt IBM been doing just that?

Interesting, fc. IBM just announced some layoffs here. My thought is that bosses don't need to be getting bonuses if the company is laying people off. It speaks to their poor "general management" skills every bit as much as it reflects sound "financial management".

Somehow, the corporate culture needs to change. On its own. Without government interference. I wonder how that might ever happen.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Are any corporate buyouts possible on this or other numismatic companies? Great Collections?

What has been the history of this? Teletrade bought out by Stacks.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Take GILD for example. I am hoping they... keep developing new drugs, buy out promising drug companies..."

Isn't that their model.....what they have always done?
    Quite successfully and for a long time!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>earnings will be announced Feb 4 after COB. Look for flat numbers. Almost no growth. No growth companies aren't rewarded. This has gotten ahead of itself. January 2015 coin certs are up 1% over 2014 coin certs. Are other 1% growing companies getting rewarded?

I can't play here at this point in the cycle. Love the company, just not growing. Stock at $24, should be $18 >>

coin volumes down 6.5%
    card volumes up 5%
    overal volume down 5K coins/cards yr-yr (900k vs 895K)

revenue up 5%
    cash burn of $1M, down to $17.1M in cash
    Flat to declining volumes made up by increased prices does not excite me. Reminds me of cigarette companies with aging/dying client base

don't understand raising the dividend with these numbers. Out and staying out. January numbers were flat to down as well yr-yr so this quarter has not started out with any growth
  • Options
    Did CLCT really trade at 11.66 a few weeks ago?

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did CLCT really trade at 11.66 a few weeks ago? >>

For a few minutes maybe... before popping back up to 17-18 or so.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by: dbcoin Just sold my remaining at $25.15 and $25.21

Love the company but things are not looking so good at this point:

- metals prices have collapsed. Modern submissions will suffer, SAE's in particular
    - October was a terrible month for coins, 127K. Levels not seen since Q4 of 2012 when stock was $10. They need 150K to be cash flow break even.
    - PSA monthly specials are back to discounted prices. They are lowering prices to maintain levels
    - dividend yield is nothing special now. I can get that or very close from many other companies.

Not sure if these trends are one offs are a signal of things to come. Get to the party late and leave early. I tend to leave way too early. The stock could hit $30 on short covering. But leaving early means I don't have to clean up the puke.

I'll be back once coin certs trend higher. Great management here. Well run company.

DB nice call on this. I saw an article on SA and it reminded me to check back on this thread.

Also congrats to the few others that saw the peak and sold.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole