Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it just my listings that are not selling?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't sold a coin from acoinshop.com for almost 6 months, so I told my nephew to start putting the stuff on ebay starting at a dollar.

The people will take a deal when there's meat on the bone. And if it takes me spending 2 million dollars to make my first million, by golly…. I'm gonna do it. image
  • Options
    I have been getting many offers froom ebay including a buy over 200.00 this weekend and get a 10% ebuck bonus next weekend. The ads are for more common items and item you would see as gifts. I have not gotten any offers for bullion or coins in a couple of weeks. I can also say that the common, easy to verify numismatic items are selling fine for me when I do list them but items like errors not in the CPG or in the price guides are getting little if no play. Things may change also when the new CPG is out in force for the market.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I adjusted my prices down about 20% a couple months ago and sales took off...so I inched prices back up image and it's been good.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    What sort of spin are the big time Dealers putting on things? They always got a rationalization for everything, after all.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Boss -- it's DEADS-VILLE out there.

The normal fall/holiday season has not happened yet. Will it? That's the question.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    The "spin" will be some kind of mish mash about the economy, the multiple number of major auctions and incredible coins that hit the market just before the fall season. That budgets have been stretched to accomodate the killer sexy coins that have come on to the market. Eluding to the high five and six figure coins that many deep pocket collectors can afford, all the while ignoring the run of the mill guys who buy $300 to $1500 coins. Then the widget talk will include the late date Walkers in 66 and how there are too darn many of them over hanging the market. Then the standard "now don't get me wrong" truly rare coins are in demand it's just the dreck that over shadowing the market has to be absorbed or "fresh material" has to appear and when it does it's just snapped up quickly. Don't be a slave to the price sheets there is no reason why Morgan dollars in MS 67 should be retailing below $1000.
    What with Christmas and the holidays just around the corner it's time for the market to take a breather and find its footing. Get ready for a rally in the market to come sometime early in the new year. Which of course it will not as truly key coins will continue to drift in EF to AU grades and the cry will be Dealers having made million dollar deals are not exempt from taxes and are gearing up for the March 15th tax filing deadline for S corps. The market has a lot of dealers vying for the collector business , but the true consumer those collectors adding to their collections $500 to $1000 coins are feeling the pinch throughout all the economic malaise and the holidays. Well, happy holidays and we'll see. We at @$#@ Rarities see this as being good for the hobby and look forward to a strong 2015.
    This will stroke all of us into holding on and not selling many of us realizing that we have lost another 25% of our $$ spent and not very liquid as we will hang on to our coins. Although look for Retail prices to drift 15% and the gap will be a true 35% until another 5 years goes by. Then of course I could be wrong and in that case ...Nevermind
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    The "search" has been broken in Google Chrome for a while. Stumbled upon it by accident.

Search 1869 in Coins US every day. In Chrome nothing but 1C-3CN comes up. But there is so much garbage, you might not notice it. I couldn't find my coins than it hit me.

I then tried Safari and the same search in that works like it should.

It is not a cache issue, I've tried everything...

In Chrome for some reason all US Coins search will yield only 1C-3CN coins...go ahead and try. Do a search for 1869 in Coins US in Chrome. I tried this on on all 3 of our Macs and also my iPad. Same problem.

If you cannot replicate it then maybe it's my ISP but I doubt it's Comcast...
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True about Chrome? I don't use it (Firefox/Safari), but if so, that's a big hit and reason to either correct prob or DUMP it.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've only sold coins twice on Ebay over the past couple years, so I'm no expert on that. Sales were good for both times too.

What I am seeing lots more of now is crazy BIN's way over PCGS guide for very ordinary material, lots more than I usually see. A recent example coin is a 1944 PCGS MS-66 Walker I was looking for to fill my short set. BIN's on Ebay were starting at $220 and going up to almost $380! If there was a CAC sticker on it, there was a good chance that additional jack was added. PCGS Guide is $235 for this date. The vast majority were way over that amount. I know sellers can set their prices to whatever they want, but anyone complaining of slow sales while pricing stuff up in the stratosphere for regular items needs to take a hard look in the mirror. I ended up getting a very nice 1944 on the much maligned Stacks site for $165 with all the juice and fees added in.

That being said, I have been getting a few nice PCGS type coins for good prices in the true auctions. >>

The plus grades and CAC sticker mania may be taking their toll. As fewer and fewer coins are made elite there is a downward pressure on all the rest.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been saying this for awhile at this site and was either ignored or worse. oh, well.......................
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In a nutshell: bad economy and fewer younger collectors to fill the shoes of older collectors passing away.

I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

I scanned the room to see that there was one YN present out of the 30-odd customers who had drifted into the room by then. I gave him a nice XF Liberty nickel and a Canadian nickel and the dealer whose table I was at at that moment gave him a darkside piece, plus another dealer gifted him with a 60-coin album. The show promoters were actively operating a YN giveaway as well. I don't know how many showed up after that. I always try to give a coin or two away to YN's at the shows that I visit and I would encourage others to do the same. >>

That is why I took my TV set down, same BS everyday, different pile.

That and as another member mentioned, the cost of living. But then again, who REALLY needs the LATEST I phone ???? I run a small business and get along more than ok with a desktop computer and a tracphone. If you have the means (and the time), growing a garden is very rewarding, and also learning to can. The food is better than alot of the prepackaged crap it the supermarkets today, and has way more nutritional value.

As the above quote says, too much fear in the world today. But, that is our faults, we have the power to turn off the set and stop listening to these idiots on there spreading the frear. We have the power to empower ourselves and others, choose faith over fear, and break out of what I call "the heard mentality". I noticed early on in my lifetime, alot of people seem to flock towards the latest trends, the newest technology, and the latest whatever else. But, is the latest stuff always the best ?

Speaking from experience, I guess I am a bit of a throwback. When I was in my preteen and teen years in the mid to late 1980's, I began to notice and to some level, see that all of the latest things were not always the best, but everyone my age was all over the latest things. I got plenty of razzing about being old fashioned, trust me on that. That is part of what got me into coins and paper money. I have always had a love for history, and I got into coins in 1988 as a means of an escape from the mordern world, as well as a valuable history lesson.

It seems like today, there is less care about our history, things of beauty, and creativity. Just look at some of the coins from the 1910's to the 1930's. When those designs are being re used on today's bullion coins, that should tell you something. When I see these coins, I think about how hard people used to work back then, for fractions of what we make today. People I know and knew that lived in that era seem to have had a stronger work ethic, more creativity, and more faith in themselves and others and a higher percentage of people were honest and even if they failed at something, they at least tried.

Ok, now I'll get off my soapbox.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My listings are doing great.

I do true auctions with a 99 cent start price.

You need to have items that people WANT to buy. >>

This.
    If it's lower priced stuff you need to do something to get buyers' attention, especially if there are a lot of competing listings. OP, what are you selling?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are selling like day old donuts. Even stale donuts taste good to a hungry man.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine are selling like day old donuts. Even stale donuts taste good to a hungry man. >>

nice coin photos .. what camera are you using ? also some nice coins.... I'll throw in some bids
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A while ago eBay took off the fees for relistings. Now, for the categories I care about, between 2/3 and 3/4 of the listings every day are relisted items -- the exact same items at the exact same price that didn't sell the first time. It's so hard to find the new stuff that I have to assume that a lot of casual bidders have given up looking.
    >>

+1

I don't search eBay like I did even a year ago, but when I run some specific searches I would say 90% of the coins I see are recycled. Eliminating the ability to do wildcard searches also hurts.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> In a nutshell: bad economy and fewer younger collectors to fill the shoes of older collectors passing away.

I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

I scanned the room to see that there was one YN present out of the 30-odd customers who had drifted into the room by then. I gave him a nice XF Liberty nickel and a Canadian nickel and the dealer whose table I was at at that moment gave him a darkside piece, plus another dealer gifted him with a 60-coin album. The show promoters were actively operating a YN giveaway as well. I don't know how many showed up after that. I always try to give a coin or two away to YN's at the shows that I visit and I would encourage others to do the same. >>

That is why I took my TV set down, same BS everyday, different pile.

That and as another member mentioned, the cost of living. But then again, who REALLY needs the LATEST I phone ???? I run a small business and get along more than ok with a desktop computer and a tracphone. If you have the means (and the time), growing a garden is very rewarding, and also learning to can. The food is better than alot of the prepackaged crap it the supermarkets today, and has way more nutritional value.

As the above quote says, too much fear in the world today. But, that is our faults, we have the power to turn off the set and stop listening to these idiots on there spreading the frear. We have the power to empower ourselves and others, choose faith over fear, and break out of what I call "the heard mentality". I noticed early on in my lifetime, alot of people seem to flock towards the latest trends, the newest technology, and the latest whatever else. But, is the latest stuff always the best ?

Speaking from experience, I guess I am a bit of a throwback. When I was in my preteen and teen years in the mid to late 1980's, I began to notice and to some level, see that all of the latest things were not always the best, but everyone my age was all over the latest things. I got plenty of razzing about being old fashioned, trust me on that. That is part of what got me into coins and paper money. I have always had a love for history, and I got into coins in 1988 as a means of an escape from the mordern world, as well as a valuable history lesson.

It seems like today, there is less care about our history, things of beauty, and creativity. Just look at some of the coins from the 1910's to the 1930's. When those designs are being re used on today's bullion coins, that should tell you something. When I see these coins, I think about how hard people used to work back then, for fractions of what we make today. People I know and knew that lived in that era seem to have had a stronger work ethic, more creativity, and more faith in themselves and others and a higher percentage of people were honest and even if they failed at something, they at least tried.

Ok, now I'll get off my soapbox. >>

The trouble is government on all levels has become so intrusive that you can't sit in your little hole, ignore it and hope that it won't come down on you.

I don't know what's wrong with people these days. They have lost the ability to understand that control by a comparatively small group of self-serving, myopic statists is not going to result in correct or effective public policies. They can't see the logic that economic freedom where are large numbers of people who attempt to implement their ideas and dreams will bring about better results than the welding of power and the control of resources by the few. All they want and expect is "security" and a free lunch because they are "entitled to it" by virtue of the fact that others have more than they do.

I believe that this stems from our education system. As a baby boomer I was indoctrinated with this mind set by a few professors in the late 1960s and early '70s, but there were other educators with the opposing point of view. Now I think that the vast majority of educators push the herd mentality because they were indoctrinated with it and, for those with the insight, know it serves their financial agenda. Free speech and freedom of thought and action are stifled by political correctness and conformity.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for a change I bid on ten items and listed five. Won one already. Forgot to mention put one in the mail this morning too. imageimage
    Can't get sand between your toes if you don't play at the beach or sand box.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine are selling like day old donuts. Even stale donuts taste good to a hungry man. >>

Things began to back up when Ebay doubled their fees about two years ago. Sucked the liquidity out of the coin the trading on that site.

Been winding down since, with very few new purchases.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Things began to back up when Ebay double their fees about two years ago >>

This.

The biggest hit was raising the max FVF from $100 to $250. It raised costs and raised breakeven on sales. The margins were slim enough before, now you pretty much have to score big on the buy in order to sell for a profit. JMO...
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This set of coins is already 9 cents over face value with one day to go.
    >>

Free shipping?imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>From 11/1 I'm going to pay $200/month more for my family of 3 health insurance. This means $2400/year less for coins. >>

But just think of the fine collection that your doctor will assemble!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From 11/1 I'm going to pay $200/month more for my family of 3 health insurance. This means $2400/year less for coins. >>

But just think of the fine collection that your doctor will assemble! >>

The doctor will be the last to get it. It's had say who will end up with it, but when "health care reform" requires a woman who is over 60 (my wife) to pay insurance for child bearing costs, while she ends up having pay far more on co-pays for health care procedures she really needs, you know that the system is screwed up.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    What you put into your mouth will eventually pass thru the body, but what comes out of your mouth in the form of words comes from your heart. It's no wonder you don't see many YNs and the "hobby" sector $50 to $1500 coins is suffering. Nothing seems to be a past time for younger people everything is experiential. Not that many want to study the art, history or stories of the past. Too much like a science of sorts and a bit of work. The economy doesn't help things at all what with student loans and taxes if they have jobs and housing so expensive. I have noticed they eschew automobiles now too. Cities for the millennials group are becoming "sustainable infrastuctures" Getting back to the first sentence in this little rant. Dealers with their brusk, nasty and down right obnoxious manners are a big problem. The "dealing" with lies by omission and all the crazy nonsense with holders and first strikes and this and that. Dealers need a margin and they should explain and stick to that business story. Stopping the marginal nonsense with value that does not exist when selling and short changing the coin with non sense when you sell. EXAMPLE I myself went to sell an EF 45 CC dollar and the dealer says "yeah, here it it is an XF" and quotes a price behind XF 40 "ignores the EF 45 designation" kids can't tolerate the "education" and the loss. You buy a nice coin in and EF 45 holder pay the margin in the price when you sell you don't need to get "ripped" "OLD GREEN HOLDER" "NO LINE FATTY" "First strike" all stuff you don't need to pay for just buy the coin at the assigned price and grade and don't get "ripped" on the other end. You'll have more YNs. Don't tell me about the few bad apples. Nonsense, all dealers spend too much time overcharging and under paying . They need a margin and they need a fluid market, but not at any excessive expense. I don't think the younger generations will tolerate "the learning curve" "education" nonsense. These things go on and on and on, bw photo's to color ones to little holders to generation this to NGC and they traded briefly over PCGS to PCGS to rattlers to green to Blue and speculaton on loose grading eras to todays standards...........Blah, blah, blah.............
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO its a buyers market right now. Sellers market should come around again just like in the past.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO its a buyers market right now. Sellers market should come around again just like in the past. >>

Bingo
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    You think it is bad now?

Just wait til all of the newbs that are buying stuff from the Rick Tomaska TV show realize they have been had and swear off buying coins forever...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Is it just my listings that are not selling? >>

There is no lack of demand at the right price, there is lack of demand at the wrong price.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Is it just my listings that are not selling? >>

There is no lack of demand at the right price, there is lack of demand at the wrong price. >>

Good point, but to a reasonable degree a dealer sets a price that allows a profit. Wal-Mart does not re price their inventory due to a slow quarter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file