Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay and PayPal to split into two companies

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
Announced seconds ago...

Link

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Good news in my opinion. It shouldn't have been done in the first place.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    About time.

PayPal has tons of value. Ebay is an anchor holding it back.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay will probably have a tougher time keeping track of people avoiding fees unless there is cooperation between the two.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting news, considering PayPal has essentially been the eBay police through their control of funds. I wonder if eBay has been developing something internally to control how people pay for and receive money for eBay listings.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they split? Aren't they both profitable enterprises? Is there some tax benefit for them? I have PayPal linked to my eBay account so I'm guessing eBay purchases will involve more steps in the future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going forward which company will now suck more? Or will it be a race to the bottom?
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be a planned response to the anticipation of competing payment services that are on the horizon. Ebay may see the future as better if they move away from paypal.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do miracles ever cease ?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This could be a planned response to the anticipation of competing payment services that are on the horizon. Ebay may see the future as better if they move away from paypal. >>

Perhaps PayPal wants to move away from eBay in anticipation of competition to eBay from alibaba.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay will probably have a tougher time keeping track of people avoiding fees unless there is cooperation between the two. >>

They are splitting into two NY stock exchange tickers...they aren't becoming truly independent non-related companies.

They will remain in bed together, and likely tightly linked to one another.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are negotiating a multi-year partnership agreement, so they will stay in bed for a long time.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • PayPal will also allow people to pay with Bitcoins. Wonder if this is connected?
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This could be a planned response to the anticipation of competing payment services that are on the horizon. Ebay may see the future as better if they move away from paypal. >>

Perhaps PayPal wants to move away from eBay in anticipation of competition to eBay from alibaba. >>

Yes, and, perhaps, Apple Pay (if that is what they are going to call it) With their desire to do more business on mobile and so many carrying iPhones, they could lose a lot of potential business if all thier eggs were in paypal's basket.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this will allow the use of Apple pay
    LCoopie = Les
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Good move all the way around. Sellers will soon have a wider choice of payment options.

....if any are left.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed both companies get a new CEO?

Also noticed that buy / sell advice is both ways in this thread. image
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Look for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Visa, Mastercard, etc to scoop up Paypal.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say this, but I am considering buying eBay stock today. I never thought this would happen, since PayPal is probably worth more than the current eBay/PayPal combined.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    My very first thought when I read the OP's title was that they want to be a big part of BABA's payment system in the future and to edge out the up and coming Apple Pay.

"Look for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Visa, Mastercard, etc to scoop up Paypal"

If only my crystal ball was working.......let us know if you get a tip on which one it's gonna be. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Going forward which company will now suck more? Or will it be a race to the bottom? >>

sell ebay.. and buy/hold paypal
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>My very first thought when I read the OP's title was that they want to be a big part of BABA's payment system in the future and to edge out the up and coming Apple Pay.

"Look for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Visa, Mastercard, etc to scoop up Paypal"

If only my crystal ball was working.......let us know if you get a tip on which one it's gonna be. image >>

does it matter? All those companies are so large compared to PayPal. If you believe it will be scooped up, then buy Ebay like Ian said he was thinking of. I was thinking the same but probably won't
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    This is good news, because most of the draconian eBay policies are to ensure that they don't lose money through Paypal...such as rather than face a chargeback which they might have to eat, they simply deduct the money from the seller's account.

What the analysts miss, is that the success of Paypal is due to it being FORCED on most ebay users.

The best news of all...

John Donahoe, eBay’s current chief executive, will step down from that role once the separation is complete.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

• << <i>This is good news, because most of the draconian eBay policies are to ensure that they don't lose money through Paypal...such as rather than face a chargeback which they might have to eat, they simply deduct the money from the seller's account.

What the analysts miss, is that the success of Paypal is due to it being FORCED on most ebay users.

The best news of all...

John Donahoe, eBay’s current chief executive, will step down from that role once the separation is complete. >>

He will still be on the board of both companies. Ebay will be able to use Bitcoins also for payments. There is a lot of connected reading if you click all the links and those with ebay stocks just got an 8% jump.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Government probably told them that's what they need to do.Otherwise,the combined entity ebay/PayPal, if allowed to exist,would eventually run afoul of Anti-trust law.Also,there's undoubtably some tax advantage to both ebay and Pay in doing a split.

Now what are they saying in the announcement?image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Visa, Mastercard, etc to scoop up Paypal. >>

Google to make play for PayPal
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, Visa, Mastercard, etc to scoop up Paypal. >>

Completely agree
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So henceforth if PayPal hoses you on an eBay transaction, please itemize your complaint into separate threads...

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news in my opinion. It shouldn't have been done in the first place. >>

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So henceforth if PayPal hoses you on an eBay transaction, please itemize your complaint into separate threads...

image >>

We may need to update the rules to 12 from the current 10 so we can include ebay and pay pal.
  • Withe the article stating that bitcoins will be able to be used a swing to all an all digital monetary system may happen sooner than later. Digitizing US money would reduce minting costs as they could cut down to the minimum needed for those that can not get a banking account. It would also open up a Federal digital monetary system, say based on a social security card for all transactions. Oh this would let the Fed GOV go back to a gold standard. They could reset the national debt hum very interesting. Any roleplaying geek from back in the day remember Shadow Run?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good news in my opinion. It shouldn't have been done in the first place. >>

image >>

It wasn't they were two separate companies at one time that are separating again.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Db coin hit it. Watch as this opens up paypal to be bought by google.
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARGH!!! I like how easy to pay for a auction win now. Seems like nothing can just stay nice and easy!image
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ARGH!!! I like how easy to pay for a auction win now. Seems like nothing can just stay nice and easy!image >>

I highly doubt the change of ownership will impact the purchasing experience on eBay.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh..oh, is google's plan to use billpay?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It wasn't they were two separate companies at one time that are separating again. >>

What do you mean?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Carl Icahn is maneuvering for an ebay sale to Alibaba.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect Carl Icahn is maneuvering for an ebay sale to Alibaba. >>

I can't believe it, but I'm beginning to agree with your mindset more & more.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this negate the requirement of eBay to pay by PayPal and thus eliminate PayPal's disastrous new 6 month return policy?

A 6 month return policy for ANY reason is nuts.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My very first thought when I read the OP's title was that they want to be a big part of BABA's payment system in the future and to edge out the up and coming Apple Pay.

If only my crystal ball was working.......let us know if you get a tip on which one it's gonna be. image >>

Thats what i was thinking. I thought Google was going to buy them Oh wait no one was to know about that sorry. image

Hoard the keys.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this negate the requirement of eBay to pay by PayPal and thus eliminate PayPal's disastrous new 6 month return policy?

We can hope for this.Disastrous is the right word.I'm thinking it's disaster by design for the greater good,though.ebay has been floundering of late.Getting the PayPal monkey off their back should be the good ticket to helping right the gargantuan ship we call ebay. The monkey gets off their back and they still get the money.I can't imagine it getting any better for both ebay and PayPal.

Let's look for PayPal to reverse their 6 month return policy.It simply doesn't make good business sense to have a policy like this in place.PayPal is not the merchant,you are as a seller of goods.Return policy should be under your control as the seller.Don't like my return policy,don't buy from me but don't come back 179 days later and tell me you want a refund because the junk silver coins you bought from me are worth less than you paid for them.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect Carl Icahn is maneuvering for an ebay sale to Alibaba. >>

looking more like it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file