Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No longer valid

To all the hard-core Jeter collectors:
How high do you think a lot of 2 sealed cases of 1993 Topps Inaugural Marlins sets (16 sets per case) would go?
These cases are currently in auction at SmallTraditions.com (ends Sat 9/27/14). These sets are rare enough to find (only 4000 produced) so sealed cases would be incredibly rare. Sets are selling on eBay anywhere between $125 to $200 per set and PSA 10 Jeter's are going for around $550 each. No BGS 10's exist yet. There are 32 sets/ 32 Jeters in this auction!
My question to you is this: If you were the winner of this auction, would you
A) Open both cases (32 sets total) to get them all graded.
B) Open 1 case (16 sets) and keep 1 case sealed.
C) Keep both cases sealed as it is undetermined if any sealed cases exist.

Comments

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I smell a group rip
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    B. Rip one, keep one.
  • Options
    If you choose:
    A) Rip all 32 sets - if half come back graded PSA 10's that at least $8,000 plus you have the other half which could all be 9's @ $100 each = $9,600. (Note no BGS 10's exist yet you could get the Pop 1)
    B) Rip 1 keep 1 - same scenario = $4,000 + $800 + 1 case still sealed (Value ??????)
    C) Keep both cases sealed = (Sky's the limit on this value)!
    So many profitable scenarios. I say these cases end at $6,000 to $8,000 for both cases.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Where do you see sets selling from $125 to $200? These sets appear to be selling for $70-105, as they have been for quite some time. 1993 Rockies/Marlins Sets

I wouldn't put any premium on a sealed case, as each set is individually sealed. I've never gotten a premium for a sealed set case (even Tiffany cases).

I also wouldn't trust the 4,000 number without support. The sets are not individually numbered like the 1998 special sets are.

But to answer your question (finally!), I would keep them both sealed.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I smell something else...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Is Curt Schilling in that set?
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    I read the print run was closer to 10K, but who knows!

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question to you is this: If you were the winner of this auction, would you
    C) Keep both cases sealed as it is undetermined if any sealed cases exist. >>

I would immediately start spamming message boards trying to get maximum dollar.

But that's just me.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My question to you is this: If you were the winner of this auction, would you
    C) Keep both cases sealed as it is undetermined if any sealed cases exist. >>

I would immediately start spamming message boards trying to get maximum dollar.

But that's just me. >>

Nothing in the rules prevents this ;rolleyes:
  • Options

<< <i>If you choose:
    A) Rip all 32 sets - if half come back graded PSA 10's that at least $8,000 plus you have the other half which could all be 9's @ $100 each = $9,600. (Note no BGS 10's exist yet you could get the Pop 1)
    B) Rip 1 keep 1 - same scenario = $4,000 + $800 + 1 case still sealed (Value ??????)
    C) Keep both cases sealed = (Sky's the limit on this value)!
    So many profitable scenarios. I say these cases end at $6,000 to $8,000 for both cases. >>

Closed at just over $3,500?

Maybe you should have spammed the board more under false pretenses, eh'? image

Snorto~
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If whoever won this auction is on here I would pay 75 for a sealed set..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I was a bidder on these case, but at nearly $110/set, I felt there wasn't any meat left on the bone. Definitely a buy and hold at that level. Sets can be had for less on the bay and I don't see much if any premium for the sealed cases. If the buyer is willing to take $35/set less than he/she paid, I am also a buyer in the $75 range.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>If whoever won this auction is on here I would pay 75 for a sealed set.. >>

And you really believe he would sell one to you at that price after paying $110 per set? image
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Yes that's my buy price. Every card but Jeter is pretty much worthless and if you get stuck with an off centered or one that the stamp is starting to lose its foil you are cooked.. Do you honestly think these are going up in value? Sounds like he invested in these two cases so good luck on them I hope you make out down the road?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Any interest I had in these cases was outweighed by a gut feel that I would be shilled.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any interest I had in these cases was outweighed by a gut feel I would be shilled. >>

Fixed it 4ya image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>Any interest I had in these cases was outweighed by a gut feel that I would be shilled. >>

You would be 100% correct

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    Raw copy just sold for total of $112.39 after shipping. Jeter Raw Marlins
    And FYI OP there is a BGS 10. I do think now is good time to sell Jeter not buy.
    As everyone talking & giving him tribute. Next season come around the demand will be lesser. Similar to what happen to Rivera.