Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1st time caller, long time listener...

Greetings! I'm recently returned to the hobby after about 20ish years. I have about a zillion questions but for now, can some of you enlightened collectors give some advice on the best way to increase my chances of high grades when I submit cards to PSA? I have read through the grade standards page, but I'm sure there are techniques I'm ignorant of. I have already joined the collectors club, so I have 15 slots ready to go. And if it matters, I primarily collect Nolan Ryan (major co. Issues, all yrs.) and HOF's mid 70's to early 80's.

Muchibus thankibus in advance!
The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.

Collecting Nolan Ryan Gem 10
George Springer everything
Carlos Correa everything

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!!

It might take a few subs to get the feeling of what or how to sub. The one thing that seems to be necessary is owning a loop to inspect the card closey for any surface wrinkles and corner issues.
  • Options
    Welcome,

Its a learning experience for sure, my first subs in 07 I thought were for sure 7-8 grades popped 5 and 6's. If you don't already own any PSA Cards it might do you some good to buy a couple and inspect them and the grade they received.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

As already stated, a loop is your best friend.

I'm assuming these cards are from your PC. But, if not, careful when buying raw cards as there are many trimmed cards out there on the market.

Good luck with subs image
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    "Welcome to the Jungle" This is great group of collectors with wealth of knowledge and experience. The best part is that they are always willing to help answer questions and provide sound advice when asked!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post scans or closeup pictures of the cards you're planning to submit on here (I need to dig up the thread on posting pictures here). There are a lot of well trained eyes that can point out areas of concern and set your expectations appropriately.

ETA: Oops, almost forgot image
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    Your pledge name is Zuko.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the group.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. It's a whole lot of fun when you get it right. For the experts: what is the best loop (loupe?) to purchase?
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the advice and welcomes! I will definitely take it to heart...

Someone else asked what kind of loupe is best. Would that be like a jeweler's loupe?

Zuko out... :-)

Carlos Correa everything
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, thanks for the advice and welcomes! I will definitely take it to heart...

Someone else asked what kind of loupe is best. Would that be like a jeweler's loupe?

Zuko out... :-) >>

I use a Bausch & Lomb loupe (yep, like what a jeweler might use) which I've had a long time since I started out as a coin collector. I know a lot of coin collectors like Zeiss, but that is a top-shelf brand and possibly overkill for use with cards. I'm sure others can chime in with some ideas of what works well with cards and won't break the bank.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High intensity light also a must. Bright sunlight is best, but it's not always sunny.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>High intensity light also a must. Bright sunlight is best, but it's not always sunny. >>

+1 and a hand-held black light is also good for detecting alterations/recoloring (i.e. 71T black borders touched up with a sharpie).
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! The people here are really good at helping look at cards based on quality scans. Much more often than not, the consensus matches up with the actual grade. Don't be shy about asking everyone to take a look.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Thanks to all, I'm looking forward to learning and participating. :-)

Carlos Correa everything
  • Options
    Welcome. I think it takes a little practice. I have been two years now and is getting better each time. Part of the fun learning a new skill