Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gorgeous new Britannia Design

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
I know this isn't US, but I found this design to be gorgeous. I'm sure many of you can appreciate it as well.

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    Looks good. The last design was nice as well. Maybe those crazy Brits might put a naked lady on there one of these years.image
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that modern rendition of Una with her Lion is very appealing, and Una's a beauty. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! I want to be the lion!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Britannia designs are about on par with our Platinum designs. If only we could crank out more of these...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    France's Marianne usually has a nice rack so it's fitting that Britannia has a nice derrière. Now if The US Mint responds by giving Liberty a pair of nice feet it'll be certain to attract even more men to collect coins.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Beyonce !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That piece would go nicely with my bullion 2014 Britannia but at £92.50 I'll have to pass.

Gorgeous proof silver though.

• Options
    I love the platinum pieces, just don't feel like spending so much on them.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Beyonce ! >>

Funny was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot. The gown is very well executed. Her left hand looks a bit strange, though -- sorf of like a sloth paw. Also looks like she's standing in front of the Death Star.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thee 5 Ozer is also 395 pounds, or roughly $650 US. And you thought the ATB pucks were expensive...
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

<< <i>Thee 5 Ozer is also 395 pounds, or roughly $650 US. And you thought the ATB pucks were expensive... >>

It is less if you buy it from the Royal Mint and have it shipped to the US. The prices on their site include VAT.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Great design, but she doesn't look like she could whup anybody. I'd take Liberty on a Morgan dollar over her in a fair fight any day.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Britannias are beautiful coins. Wish I could've collected them from the beginning.

JH
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She looks somewhat pretty a little frail to me. Im Sure the queens doing her impression of a 1920 large cent on the other side. Her mug keeps me from buying much of anything she's on.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course she's beautiful. Apparently it was designed by "J.C." himself. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Wow! Hot hot hot. And classy. But messydesk is right, that left hand is creepy. What's up with that? The foot is normal but the hand is wacked.
  • Options
    Also wonder why no period after the C, just the J.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is sort of like this British Trade Dollar that was issued a little over a century ago ...

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Beautiful coin!

I see it listed at £77.08 for the 1 oz Silver Proof
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the mintage is in the 600 range. Can you imagine an ATB with mintage of 600 and what the price would be?!?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the mintage is in the 600 range. Can you imagine an ATB with mintage of 600 and what the price would be?!? >>

I think the mintage is more in line with 2500. Regardless, I ordered a handful.

AJ, Thanks for the heads up

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintage is 600 for the five ounce proof
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe the mintage is in the 600 range. Can you imagine an ATB with mintage of 600 and what the price would be?!? >>

I think the mintage is more in line with 2500. Regardless, I ordered a handful.

AJ, Thanks for the heads up

MJ >>

ah, I was referring to the 1 oz proof

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah wonders if me Scottish relations are going to mint an ouncer in commemoration of the vote on inderpendence next week?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>The mintage is 600 for the five ounce proof >>

The 5 ounce is now sold out.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her left hand looks like something from a space creature in a monster movie, the lion looks like he's from the Wizard of Oz, and she looks like she has tumors all over her body.

Other than that, it looks fine.
  • Options
    Ya'll can find all the negatives you want, but it reminds me of this image

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya'll can find all the negatives you want, but it reminds me of this image

image >>

Poor mans substitute!

No comparison to a classic United States coin with about 2 oz. of gold.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No comparison to a classic United States coin with about 2 oz. of gold. >>

Pan-Pan $50 gold pieces contain almost two and a half ounces of gold.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin....always liked the Britannia's..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 2014 version of Britannia, and these depictions of her, 100 years apart. The 2012 is the same design as Swampboy's bullion coin, but as a proof.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure glad I bought the 6 coin set a couple years ago. I just checked ebay prices! I REALLY wish I would have picked up a few of the "overpriced" 5 ouncers, as those are outrageous now!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen the 5 ounce Britannias on EBay with high asking prices, but I have yet to see auction records reflecting what these are selling for. Maybe there just have not been many recorded transactions...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Still a beautiful coin.... forgot about these...may have to look for one..just as a nice coin to have. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I have seen the 5 ounce Britannias on EBay with high asking prices, but I have yet to see auction records reflecting what these are selling for. Maybe there just have not been many recorded transactions...

Looks like they have sold from about $1,000 to $3,000
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&amp;_nkw=2014+5+ounce+britannia&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;LH_Sold=1&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=42702&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_sop=1&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;LH_Complete=1

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I think the Britannia designs are about on par with our Platinum designs. If only we could crank out more of these...

I'd like to see those on our circulating coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Thanks Jwitten

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Never understood the female warrior helmet thing. Strength via women wearing a symbolic helmet. Kinda weird, mho.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:
    Never understood the female warrior helmet thing. Strength via women wearing a symbolic helmet. Kinda weird, mho.

The concept of the female warrior with helmet goes back thousands of years. They are all based on the mythological goddess of Athena (AKA Minerva), who was know as the goddess of War and Wisdom.

Here is my favorite depiction of Athena/Minerva -- as seen on Benjamin Franklin's Libertas Americana medal

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2016 12:43PM

Yep. Babes. Spears. Lions defended by shields. Women with armored headdress. It seems weird to me to have this evolve as a national symbol.

In America, Liberty was a hairblown, headressless, mess.

But, in 1770, you got this -

Weird.

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

If anyone has a one ounce coin for sale let me know, beautiful design

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Britannia!

• Options

I had a couple of sets of gold Britannia's.....they are beautiful... sold them on the BST....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the majority of the Britannia designs.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

If interested in the design,you can order a 2015 "50 pound" directly from the Royal Mint or their site on ebay. Mint site says 75% sold out and 5 order limit. I got a few... :)

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinlearner said:
    If interested in the design,you can order a 2015 "50 pound" directly from the Royal Mint or their site on ebay. Mint site says 75% sold out and 5 order limit. I got a few... :)

Wonder what happens if the coin gets wet.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you can join the bidding at Stack's on the gold 2014 5 Oz which is now at 13k USD and climbing! Ouch! Wish I'd gotten that bit when it came out.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I am surprised with the level of interest... Here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file