Home U.S. Coin Forum

An 1808 CBH imaged by Lance

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
I will bypass the GTG on this one because she is in her correct slab, AU 58.
Do you agree with the grade ?
I really love those first generation CBH's.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Have to see it in hand for that one. It woul really have to pop luster/toning wise for 58 as it is a little dark and appears to have a few flat spots which says 55 to me. If in hand the flat spots are pure strike and the coin comes alive then 58 is a no brainer.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late die state and would say a solid 55 with a chance at 58....in this case it fulfilled that chance!
    Pete

PS edited to add, I really like it!
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see this piece making AU-58. It has a lot of little pings on the obverse, and there is obvious wear on Ms. Liberty's chin and neck. The eagle on the reverse also has wear on the neck and left wing. I'd have to see the piece in person to decide about the flatness in the curls. Since the die is broken I'll give it the benefit of doubt and say AU-55. The low end would be AU-50 if you are going to knock it down for the pings.

This is an 1807 half dollar from the same vintage of John Reich dies. This one has better luster and color than my photo is showing here, but it only got an AU-53. Reich's early half dollar dollars often produced uneven results.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gorgeous coin, I have no problem at all with it at 58, and that's even recognizing the few apparent test mark digs here and there, as they were contemporary to the coin the few times it was spent, to verify that it was real silver. They're small and inconspicuous, and more than made up for by decent strike for the later die state and very nice surfaces.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice, 58

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice image, sharp, crisp and the color looks spot on. Love all the die cracks and the way the stars and lettering pull away to the rim. Is this broad struck?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice image, sharp, crisp and the color looks spot on. Love all the die cracks and the way the stars and lettering pull away to the rim. Is this broad struck? >>

I don't think that "broad struck" is possible. These coins were struck without a collar.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gorgeous coin, I have no problem at all with it at 58, and that's even recognizing the few apparent test mark digs here and there, as they were contemporary to the coin the few times it was spent, to verify that it was real silver. They're small and inconspicuous, and more than made up for by decent strike for the later die state and very nice surfaces. >>

Great observation Baley
    You know your early coinage.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice image, sharp, crisp and the color looks spot on. Love all the die cracks and the way the stars and lettering pull away to the rim. Is this broad struck? >>

I don't think that "broad struck" is possible. These coins were struck without a collar. >>

I concur Bill
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty O-102a R2. This marriage die state has some neat die cracks, but the early die state, without the die cracks, is R5.

Looks like a NGC 58. PCGS would go 55 on a good day. My NGC 62, in this same marriage die state, would only cross at PCGS 58.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been many years but I have seen this one in person. Color looks accurate, but IIRC it had ample luster for an Au-58 that the image doesn't show. Also, the few dinks folks are seeing got to figure how huge the image is instead of taking a huge image as an absolute. I know people know it's a large image but they still always point out something that is very small on the actual coin and make it something serious.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm drooling!! Love the coin all the way. I too am fond of the type 1 capped bust . The imaging by Lance is beautiful as well. As far as the grade goes, you could have told me it's ms and I would not have questioned it. I don't see any rub by looking at the images. I also love the stretched out stars, VERY cool. image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing 1808......wonderful image Lance.image
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    GTG is always a lesson in futility with images .. for many it is fun .. I enjoy it occasionally myself .. But it truly is a futile activity ... Same guesses; same reasons; same explanations.
    Still Very entertaining

Edit: Very pretty coins - Bill - Really nice looking skin on your 53; great look
    imageimage
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super sweet 1808 ! 58 looks just right from here...is it NGC or PCGS ?
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking early bust half!
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    compare with PCGS No. 30688478
    I brake for ear bars.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome coin photography....Cheers, RickO
  • Looks like a great coin. It would likely sell at around the same price regardless of grade
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file