Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Contemporary Counterfeit Cents - a Pictorial Record

The world was much different 100-200 years ago. The U.S. Cent was a denomination that actually had individual buying power...and the further back in time you go the stronger the denomination, more or less, it was. As a result, there was a greater incentive to counterfeit the U.S. Cent further back in time.

Over the past few years, but especially within the last couple months, I have had the privilege to acquire several interesting contemporary counterfeit U.S. coins, and among them different types of U.S. Cents - Large Cents, Indian Cents, a Lincoln Cent, and even a Feuchtwanger Cent. Recently I have also been assembling a photographic database of known and perceived contemporary counterfeit U.S. coins of all denominations.

I thought it would be interesting, informative and educational to share the different types of contemporary counterfeit Cents I have acquired as well as those images I have added to my database.

Large Cents:
Last Digit unknown (181X)
1815 - Hand-Cut die; fantasy date and designed like the later types (Goldberg sale 60)
1817 - Hand-Cut Die (Goldbergs sale 74)
1818 - Hand-Cut Die (Very popular contemporary counterfeit; one of just 2-3 known I believe)
This photo is from a Goldberg auction (I believe); unfortunately I do not own this one.
1818 13-Star Obv, Hand-Cut dies (Goldberg sale 67)
1819 - Hand-Cut die (Goldbergs sale 60)
1821 N-2
1822 Reeded Edge!
1826/5
1848 Small Date - Coinfacts photo (1 of about 10 known)
1856 Electrotype (relatively 'common' among the Large Cent counterfeits - at least 12 known)
Unknown date - broken planchet

Feuchtwanger Cent:

Indian Cent:

*Rick Snow has a large collection of Indian Cent counterfeits

Lincoln Cent:

Comments

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Were these made of copper and does anyone know the copper value within a large cent?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I have done the specific gravity on all the pieces I own. Unfortunately I'm not home now to share the relative metal/alloy I believe some were made from. Although, off the top of my head I know the second 1846 is made from primarily brass
  • Options
    Stone thank you for sharing this as I find it very interesting. At times I wonder what people will think of the counterfeits that are being made now in say 100-200 years, will they be collectible as physical money may no longer exist for actual commerce transactions.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat collection. I like that 1818 a lot.image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. I didn't know that there were contemporary counterfeit Feuchtwangers!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat stuff!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread, Stone!
  • Options
    So a question since this was all "real" money back then. If a coin was made to government specs - same weight, etc. why would someone give a hoot about getting a "counterfeit" coin. Obviously I am not referring to underweight and other spurious issues that did not meet gov't specs. But if someone received even a flat disc of copper weighing 208 grains then they were paid. Right?
  • Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the images.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    Some other large cent counterfeits I can think of...

An 1817

There's an 1818 "13-star" counterfeit, made by modifying the 14-star die making a large final star. It was in a Goldberg sale in the last couple of years, but I couldn't find it in their archives right now.

There's an 1841 counterfeit in Superior's September 1999 sale. I don't have the catalog, and if I saved the image I lost it later when my then-hard drive crashed.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection! Some were made for collectors, like the Birch and Getz cents, since the real deal was so expensive.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Thanks Stone.

I will go to the bank to see what I have in my contemporary cft collection for cents, and then post some.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat.

I knew about the Bust $1/2 contemporary counterfeits but not these.

Thanks for posting
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, Winston!.
    Some of those are quite good, like the first 1846, and the 1848 almost looks like a pattern.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    excellent share ! perhaps I will do a similar thread about seated dimes and quarters !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, informative AND educational....? Are you sure you're on the right forum ? image
  • Options

<< <i>I will go to the bank to see what I have in my contemporary cft collection for cents, and then post some.

excellent share ! perhaps I will do a similar thread about seated dimes and quarters ! >>

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice stuff and some are real eye sores. interesting stuff thanksimage
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    The 1818 13-star I mentioned earlier was in the Goldberg's February 2012 sale. I remembered a few of the details wrong. Interesting piece.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

<< <i>The 1818 13-star I mentioned earlier was in the Goldberg's February 2012 sale. I remembered a few of the details wrong. Interesting piece. >>

Awesome. I'm adding it to the list above image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see the photos back up. I was going to refer to them, but they are gone ...

Doug
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

-^^ +1

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DMWJR said:
    I would love to see the photos back up. I was going to refer to them, but they are gone ...

held hostage, along with all of mine by Photobucket

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

For only $400 a year, they will make your images show again. I'll never trust them again.

Larry

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 5:51AM

400 $ ?????
    I sent them eighteen hundred......For that, I can share up to 3 photos per month.......

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the pictures are gone... this was an interesting thread....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    400 $ ?????
    I sent them eighteen hundred......For that, I can share up to 3 photos per month.......

You are kidding right!

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photobucket ... an early cloud. I don't trust clouds

Doug
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, kidding dimeman.....

• Options

Lots of changes over the years with Photobucket. Some were good but the last few have been less than friendly. All the image are still there but, they won't show on forums unless you pay for the service.
    It's been free for all these years. I guess like everyone, they need money for the service. Wish they had came out with something better.

Larry

• Options

Lots of changes over the years with Photobucket. Some were good but the last few have been less than friendly. All the image are still there but, they won't show on forums unless you pay for the service.
    It's been free for all these years. I guess like everyone, they need money for the service. Wish they had came out with something better.

Larry

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing images are still hosted in this old thread from photobucket. wow

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2022 1:20PM

With the new discovery, there are now five known examples of the 1818 14 Star Counterfeit Large Cent. It is an R7+. There is rumor of a low-grade 6th example.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank so much for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file