Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many coins have two PCGS cert numbers? - Amazing Broken 1884-CC Morgan!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2021 11:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum
This is one of the coolest photos from ANA I've seen thanks to Mike!

How many coins simultaneously have more than one PCGS cert number (aside from crackouts)?

This would be a great use of the PCGS dual holder. Also, if these were separated, how would you know the top coin's date/mm unless you had the bottom one too?

This is now owned by Allen Rowe of Northern Nevada Coin:

1884-CC Morgan Dollar Mated Pair Split After Strike - Mike Byers, Allen Rowe Specimens

https://northernnevadacoin.com/amazing-broken-cc/

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool

Dual holder candidate for sure.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the top COOL!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dual holder candidate for sure. >>

I saw those at the show and that was my first thought too...

Way cool
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    What is the purpose of putting this single coin in two different holders with two different cert #s? I would have put it in a double holder or in a larger holder with the coin split because it is the same coin it should not have different cert#s. If two holders were the only option they shoul have the same cert# with the label stating top and bottom with a holder#1 and holder #2. Of course this is just my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the purpose of putting this single coin in two different holders with two different cert #s? I would have put it in a double holder or in a larger holder with the coin split because it is the same coin it should not have different cert#s. If two holders were the only option they shoul have the same cert# with the label stating top and bottom with a holder#1 and holder #2. Of course this is just my opinion. >>

It might be that they didn't offer double holders when this coin was certified (just guessing). But that would look ultra-cool in a double holder. Outstanding piece.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coin....and a CC as well.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Haha...I love it. Very cool.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, that "Broken CC" dollar is owned by Northern Nevada Coin and it is not for sale. They have a page about the coin on their website as well.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2021 8:57AM
    > @illini420 said:
    >
    > By the way, that "Broken CC" dollar is owned by Northern Nevada Coin and it is not for sale. They have a page about the coin on their website as well.

I can understand that it's not for sale when their tag line is: NORTHERN NEVADA COIN • Home of the "Amazing Broken CC"

Here's the link to their Amazing Broken CC webpage. Thanks for the photo and info Mike!
  • Options
    What would the value of this coin be if sold today?
  • Options

<< <i>What would the value of this coin be if sold today? >>

From the PCGS Price Guide:

3450668: $265
    3450669: $265

But I wonder if that's $265 x2 for the 2 certs or just $265 total since each cert is 1/2 a coin image

I'm not really sure but there are some amazing Morgan errors out there. I imagine if would be expensive to assemble them into one set.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, if these were separated, how would you know the top coin's date/mm unless you had the bottom one too? >>

Because the mint mark would be on that piece, and since it's a CC, it wouldn't be hard to match it up with known CC reverses and determine the date.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, if these were separated, how would you know the top coin's date/mm unless you had the bottom one too? >>

Because the mint mark would be on that piece, and since it's a CC, it wouldn't be hard to match it up with known CC reverses and determine the date. >>

Ah yes image
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 1:56AM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the separation came after the coin was found, or if the two pieces were in a 'bag' of coins....Not important, just curious. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm impressed that the two pieces were circulated down to XF.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 11:24AM

They could of at least identified the Liberty Nickel as the No Cents variety.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    They could if at least identified the Liberty Nickel as the No Cents variety.

That would be nice. It should go back. It would be nice to get that attribution in a dual holder with TrueViews :)

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

VERY cooL!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@oih82w8 said:
    They could if at least identified the Liberty Nickel as the No Cents variety.

That would be nice. It should go back. It would be nice to get that attribution in a dual holder with TrueViews :)

I like the solid gasket holders better than the current prong versions though. TrueViews could be taken through the legacy holders to save them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting coin. Nice.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2021 2:19AM

Revival

1968-D Split Quarter - Partial Reverse Clad Layer Missing - NGC XF45
    1968-D Split Quarter - Partial Reverse Clad Layer - NGC XF45

Yet another one:

Photos by Hendrix Electric.

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, these are some amazing “coins”. At what point are they just considered damaged metal and no longer a coin?

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I sold this unique mint error to Allen Rowe of Northern Nevada Coins. Here is a link from my archive which has more information on this coin:

https://mikebyers.com/uniquemorganmatedpair.html

It was also featured in my mint error coin book.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was working at Coin World for some of the GSA sales and I remember when the GSA sent us a press release for this coin, saying that it would be sent at random to some lucky buyer. Good publicity stunt to boost sales as far as I am concerned. They said that they would include a letter with the coin explaining the significance of the error and asking the recipient to contact them when he or she got it.

Months go by and no word back. Finally the wrote to the buyer (they had picked him at random but kept track of his information) and asked him if he had received it. He replied that he had but he had not opened the package. Should he?

The coin could have sat unopened for decades!

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Mr Byers,
    you have certainly handled the greatest u.s. mint errors imaginable!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned this one many years ago ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@Byers said:
    Yes, I sold this unique mint error to Allen Rowe of Northern Nevada Coins. Here is a link from my archive which has more information on this coin:

https://mikebyers.com/uniquemorganmatedpair.html

It was also featured in my mint error coin book.

Great info Mike! :+1:

I've added your name to the OP :)

• Options

I just noticed I can't call this coin the "Mike Byers, Allen Rowe Specimen", it has to be the "Mike Byers, Allen Rowe Specimens" plural :D

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a pair of split after strike Liberty Nickels. I also own one half of a split after strike. Would love to find the other half. It should be in an ANACS holder somewhere.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

We had a discussion on this the other day. Is this a “split planchet “ or a “split coin?”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@astrorat said:

We had a discussion on this the other day. Is this a “split planchet “ or a “split coin?”

Should simply be described as “1890 5c Obverse (Reverse) Half Split After Strike” IMO.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very interesting coins.
    Thanks to all for showing and providing especially the history that goes along with them.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited March 14, 2021 3:24AM

Here's one from @CascadeChris I just ran across again called Zombie.

I like how the detached piece is an ERror ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/984747/i-like-ike-post-your-eisenhowers

It was posted back in 2017, and I just noticed he hasn't logged in for over a year! :(

Hope he comes back soon!

• Options
    edited March 16, 2021 9:04PM

From Northern Nevada Coin like the Broken CC.

This one even has two TrueViews!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file