Home U.S. Coin Forum

'90-CC Morgan, NewP. (Update, grade posted in first post)

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering what you guys think this grades out as? I'm thinking 64. $630 BIN on eBay.

UPDATE: Grade is in;

And Trueviews done;

Comments

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Great photo by the way.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Great photo by the way. >>

yes, should be a 64 and certainly a nice pick up! But, where's the tailbar??

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the picture...but looks like it might have putty on the cheek. If not I'm in the 63 camp.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any reason it shouldn't 64 at PCGS. Price guide shows 1800 for a 64? Congratulations!!
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with a little tlc, i'm in the 65 camp, from the images.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I`ll be the first to say 64+
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Looks 65 to me.

CG
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good shot at 64 and a great buy if it is!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭
    The reverse looks very nice, but I also have a concern with the cheek/face. Do you have it in hand? How's it look?
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    First impression of this coin..........Nice 64, but quite possible it will 65. I think 64 due to luster correct me if I am wrong don't they come really flashy? That picture gives all the imperfections, but not quite all the luster. So...........64 and a very nice coin find too.
  • Nice pic sir, let us know what it looks like after its bath as I would be interested to see how the obverse looks. The obverse looks like it could just be on the verge of toning and giving that slightly cloudy look.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a very nice 64. I also like the die cracks!!
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Morgan FTB! Awesome price!

Erik
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a solid 64 with my eyes. Yes, 64 all day everyday of the week! I very much like the looks of this Morgan!! Nice pick up for sure!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I'll put myself out there and say that I do NOT like this coin- in particular the cheek. It does not look original to my eyes, and appears to have been smoothed. I don't think it's been puttied, it's more the texture that bothers me than the color. It does not look like metal on that coin should look like to me. I may be wrong and look forward to hearing what pcgs says.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to root for you, but I would take a closer look for altered surfaces.

That being said, you nailed that Redfield you sold me at 64!

Cheers!
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll put myself out there and say that I do NOT like this coin- in particular the cheek. It does not look original to my eyes, and appears to have been smoothed. I don't think it's been puttied, it's more the texture that bothers me than the color. It does not look like metal on that coin should look like to me. I may be wrong and look forward to hearing what pcgs says. >>

I think you are right. It looks like someone smoothed out the surface of the cheek.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll put myself out there and say that I do NOT like this coin- in particular the cheek. It does not look original to my eyes, and appears to have been smoothed. I don't think it's been puttied, it's more the texture that bothers me than the color. It does not look like metal on that coin should look like to me. I may be wrong and look forward to hearing what pcgs says. >>

Light use of an eraser awhile back? I could see that in the pic's also.

Edit to add....3 reasonably hard hits on the cheek keep it away from a 4 to me!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Vam is it kina looks like a EDS 9A. But what do i know. image Nice coin. image

Hoard the keys.
  • CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Looks 65 to me...

<< <i>It's a VAM 6.

I see your guys' concerns on the cheek, but I don't think it's from intentional alteration. Some of them actually don't seem incuse, they seem raised, as if from die polish or something. This is a pic under harsh light with the coin angled to try to capture the issues in the area;

I've got it soaking in acetone right now, we'll see how it looks when it comes out... and maybe I'll give it a real quick, weak dip. >>

...Acetone bath is all good, doesn't look like it will make it any better...weak dip, no no on this one IMO...there is nothing to burn off that baby but sweet luster image

Erik

<< <i>

<< <i>...Acetone bath is all good, doesn't look like it will make it any better...weak dip, no no on this one IMO...there is nothing to burn off that baby but sweet luster image

Erik >>

There is definitely some haze and a light fingerprint on the obverse, in front of the head. I'll try to get a pic of that later. >>

Unless that fingerprint is yours or the eBay sellers, then Acetone won't help any...either way though, it will never hurt image

Erik

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless that fingerprint is yours or the eBay sellers, then Acetone won't help any...either way though, it will never hurt image

Erik >>

The weak dip will, though. >>

...yes, you are correct; the weak dip will hurt that coin...no question image

Erik
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    64 crowd for me...sweet score at that price too
    as much as those specks want to irritate me...those fields carry such away...those are clean fields

those hits look like strike through with all those raised die polished lines

sweet example and congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 seems reasonable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>Got an email stating they're charging me extra to grade this. $12 more than econ price so I guess it graded problem free... The anticipation builds. >>

lol...you sent that under economy...hmmmm
    uh...yeah
    that's a lil more then a $300 coin there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got an email stating they're charging me extra to grade this. $12 more than econ price so I guess it graded problem free... The anticipation builds. >>

You should have never sent it economy. The coin in UNC, even UNC details, is worth more than $300. So, at the very least, you should have sent it under Regular.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure a 64...could go 65....We await the verdict........Cheers, RickO
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice 90cc. Could 65 IMHOimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< I've got it soaking in acetone right now, we'll see how it looks when it comes out... and maybe I'll give it a real quick, weak dip. >>>

Not sure I understand the point of a long acetone soak, and from that pic it appears to already have been dipped at least once or twice, so I don't think yet another dip is going to do much other than additionally flatten out the lustre. I think the best thing for that coin is just to leave it alone.....JMO.
  • looks 65 to me. You can remove those spots with a q-tip and dip.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks 65 to me.

CG >>

Me too. It's all there. Just depends if the cheek is really as good as it appears.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

That's not right. Will PCGS be refunding people who pay for Express or Walkthrough on coins that don't grade? Of course not.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For sure a 64...could go 65....We await the verdict........Cheers, RickO >>

Whoa ...3 Face marks ,and also 1 on reverse ....Let us know what the grade turns out.... My PCGS, from years ago , turned out to be a 63..with less marks

<< <i>

<< <i>

You should have never sent it economy. The coin in UNC, even UNC details, is worth more than $300. So, at the very least, you should have sent it under Regular. >>

Unc details 1890-CCs with a harsh cleaning go for $200-$250, for one thing.

Secondly, I expected and welcomed the upcharge. It's a lot better than paying the $32 plus handling plus separate shipping since they require a separate submission and separate shipping charges for each Tier. I only had One coin that was too nice for econ. So whatever. Saved me money, makes me happy, and that's what PCGS hopefully wants... Satisfied customers. >>

^^^ i love it^^^
    right on

truly my reply was more so in friendly banter...not scolding you

best of luck with this grade too

• BodinBodin Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    64+ from me! Great score!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRAVO!!! image
    When in doubt, don't.

<< <i>Grade is in.

image >>

BAM!!!! NICE WORK FTB image

Erik
    wow
    merry christmas to you image

"you suck"....<<< not in capitols though image

huge congrats

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and a lovely Christmas present from PCGS (deserving I'm sure).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tidy little windfall. Congrats!
  • morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! I did not imagine that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file