Home U.S. Coin Forum

Album toned?

I purchased this coin on ebay.My question is would this be considered as album toned? If it is,would it be better left in this condition?It is a reverse of 1878 not listed corectly.

Not bad for 21.50.
Mark Anderson

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to create a link
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm,,,NO , shake and bake.... AT all day, imo

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Artificially toned image
  • Looks AT like some of the other coins listed. When you get the coin you should post some better images.
  • That does not look like an album toned coin. AT

Eric
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Ugly AT !!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • So what dose the seller do to get fake toneing?

Dose this ruin the coin?

Can the tone be removed so its not a total loss?

Hey live and learn.
    Mark Anderson
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Album toning starts at the rims and works its way toward the center. Sadly this coin has been treated with a dose of chemicals that has covered it with garish colors.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what dose the seller do to get fake toneing?

Dose this ruin the coin?

Hey live and learn. >>

The coin is damaged from this. It can be removed by dipping the coin, it might not all come off, and the resulting surfaces will probably be dull and lifeless with limited or no mint luster. The coin might have been cleaned and hairlined from the beginning. Quite often coin doctors do this sort of thing to hide problems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what dose the seller do to get fake toneing?

Dose this ruin the coin?

Hey live and learn. >>

Throw it in the junk melt pile........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Lesson lerned .Its to bad what historical researchers are learning about the1879 reverse of 1878.I have read some estimates of possibly only 90,000-500,000 minted in early 1879 .Most put into circulation and heavily warn today,evidence that a large part went to melt and the remaining what are now higher grade coins today are actually coins that where later released from private hoards.i believe the private hoarders were aware of their low mintage purchased what they could and sat on them(hoarded) For sale to collectors later at a profit.I don't believe the total number minted of the1879s were all second reverse.I believe the second reverse coins were early1879s and then switched back to the reverse of1878s and the remaing mintage were of this die type.

This would make the1879s second reverse the first die variety of the morgan dollars and a potentially low mintage coin.

All the seller did was destroy a potentially valuble coin with his lack of knowledge of the history of the coin itself.....or he could have made alot more money!Lol.
    Mark Anderson
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a good thread on Album Toned Coins.

You can peruse some nice examples here. You'll notice that many have a "bullseye" look with more vibrant toning just inside the rim in a circle or semi circle.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Thanks.The reson I thought it might be album toned is because the reverse looks nothing like the obverse and in most albums the obverse faces out to the viewer .I thaought maybe it sat in an album for a really, really long time .Actually the reverse shows a very nice strike with very little toneing around the edge of the coin .This is my quandary. Ill mske a decision when I see it inhand .Thanks for the help.
    Mark Anderson
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heated side up will tone a lot more than the side down.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Hey coin study you should turn on your private messages so that people can talk to you off thread. The coin looks chemically treated with LOS and was most likely placed on a cloth to do so and the overrun toned the revers. I looked at the auction to see the picks.
  • I got the message the coin is ruined.I think I'll just stay away from toners.thanks for all the help all.I'll chalk it up to lesson learned.
    Mark Anderson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file