Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1929 Buffalo.....one that actually has a decent strike....Grade revealed

Didn't really need the coin, but it is not too often you come across a 1929 with a decent strike. The reverse is quite impressive in my opinion for the date.

Buff guys....feel free to share your opinions....including grade.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd put that in the upper 5%, maybe 2%. You almost never see full demarcation across the Buffalo's shoulder. Easy 65.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Nice one!
  • Options
    That reverse is very strong for the year and the obverse is just a little soft compared to the revers. I wounder if this could be because of a die change and you lucked out finding one produced early on. Your reverse looks better than this MS66. I would rteally like to know what yours is graded and what holder it is in.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shamika knows the series -- I agree with his thoughts. Very strong reverse for the date.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this coin is well struck it almost always involves the reverse. I've never seen full detailing above the braid ribbon on a 1929 Buff.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image he I buy stuff I don't all the time, Cool PU

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That reverse is very strong for the year and the obverse is just a little soft compared to the revers. I wounder if this could be because of a die change and you lucked out finding one produced early on. Your reverse looks better than this MS66. I would rteally like to know what yours is graded and what holder it is in.

image >>

nice buffalo image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great strike on that Buff, for sure. At this point the luster will dictate what the grade will be. From what I can see with your image I would go 65. Great pick up...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Here's my 29 pcgs ms-64+ but I look at it as a 65, great luster with this one.

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.

Not high in grade, but I really liked it for the strike and price.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the comments.

Not high in grade, but I really liked it for the strike and price. >>

I don't know what ya paid for it, but I like the strike too.
  • Options
    I would give 64+ to 65 $ for that one as I have seen worse in a 65.
  • Options
    CHD that is a 65 to 65+ all day long and a chance at 66 IMHO. That could be because I like these very much but that is a nice Buff.
  • Options

<< <i>CHD that is a 65 to 65+ all day long and a chance at 66 IMHO. That could be because I like these very much but that is a nice Buff. >>

Thanks, it does have great luster. The strike is a bit better than you normally encounter at the market place but the luster and near blemish free condition is what made me pull the trigger on this one.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice strike for sure but where I think you really won on for the grade is the luster". Based on the slab pic I'd say it is one of those that goes 65 on luster alone.
  • Options
    I got lucky with my 1929 buff. It was a raw purchase from FleaBay that I sent in to our host. It's PCGS MS65. I liked the strike and the color on this one. There is even a very faint line in the braid on the obverse, which as Ron mentioned is usually quite flat:

• Options

<< <i>I got lucky with my 1929 buff. It was a raw purchase from FleaBay that I sent in to our host. It's PCGS MS65. I liked the strike and the color on this one. There is even a very faint line in the braid on the obverse, which as Ron mentioned is usually quite flat:

image >>

This is very nice, a great addition to any herd.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got lucky with my 1929 buff. It was a raw purchase from FleaBay that I sent in to our host. It's PCGS MS65. I liked the strike and the color on this one. There is even a very faint line in the braid on the obverse, which as Ron mentioned is usually quite flat:

image >>

They don't come much better than this as far as the obverse detailing above the braid tie is concerned. I've looked at a couple thousand of this date in my strike study (which I started in 2001) and have never seen anything even approaching full detailing there. The reverse does rarely come with a full or near full strike tho.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Buff....could easily see 65...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Surprising, I thought that would have been a 65 easy, especially with NGC.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    They don't come much better than this as far as the obverse detailing above the braid tie is concerned. I've looked at a couple thousand of this date in my strike study (which I started in 2001) and have never seen anything even approaching full detailing there. The reverse does rarely come with a full or near full strike tho. >>

Here is the obverse of my 29-P in 65. Took a while to find it..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file