Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My First National: Day 1 & Day 2 Update

It's been an exhausting day, but fun and productive, and I got to meet about 10 board members. What a great group. Spent a lot of time at BBCE and finally got to meet Steve, Rick, Reed and gang. As cool as expected.

Here's the unopened. Almost all from BBCE. I like my 79 Dorsett and Newhouse racks. 82 Fleer fills a hole. And 76 BK has recently taken hold if me. Got the last one Steve had, and scored 4 more packs at 25 each, and got thumbs up from Steve. The 78 baseball are questionable, but came at a bargain price from same guy that had the 76 BK. Rollers look good, corner folds not so much. Explained to seller and took em for 10 each...alarm bells, but it'll give me something to rip tonite. And based on the price for the packs that checked out, these were basically free. Also filled some early 70s BB/FB pack holes and got another 75 regular. Threw in some assorted racks, Star Wars and Wrestling to round it out.
Non-BBCE Packs:

Dropped off 4 cards for review at PSA, with another single card sub (Pistol RC), and renewed my Platinum to score these. I like that I got 250/500.

Now onto the graded cards. I'm pretty happy with my 4s and the prices paid for each. Got a few of these from CardCountry (Jeff) who was great to work with. Thanks Jeff. The Musial was a tough negotiation in several steps. I had to walk away once, but finally agreed on a number second time around.

A little something for my Mays registry.

And a few items for my RC collection.

Tomorrow I'll keep looking for 61F BK and 62T FB. Just not seeing that much of it, and when I do it's either not the right players or not graded but asking graded prices.

Will also be looking to grab either a Ruth, Cobb or Gehrig.

Thanks for reading.
Jim
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Great picks ups!! Love the Musial rookie!!!

• Great stuff!
    Keep the updates coming.
  • Wow, Jackpot! What a great, diverse haul. My boys are jealous of the original Star Wars packs. I may have to find a reputable place to pick a few up for them. I love the Aaron and Koufax! You set a really high bar for anyone on day 1 of their first national. Perhaps, I should be setting aside more than planned for when we go next year. Good luck on the 78's tonight.
    Matt
    Looking for post-war hof rc's, raw or graded.
    Successful dealings: grote15, wilkiebaby11, BPorter26 and gregmo32.
  • ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    All around great pickups, very visually appealing.
  • stupid question, but how do people get all this stuff home from the National if they fly? I'd have hesitations about checking a bag with these items. Is there a facility at the National where you can mail stuff home?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I spy a Tony Dorsett rack packimage
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Boys!

UPS is on-site, but I'm gonna fit it all in my carry-on.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great score on the rookie Aaron and Koufax. They both have outstanding eye-appeal!
    78 rip results:

Collation was all over the place, but got a couple ok cards.

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Jim, I can tell you are having fun. I love the Mays, Koufax, and Aaron rookies. Enjoy day 2 and post some more pics of your finds.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Thanks for sharing. Nice stuff you picked up ... those "4s" present VERY well!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! Thanks for sharing. Nice stuff you picked up ... those "4s" present VERY well! >>

+1. Beautiful.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    LOL, all that on the first day! I love it. Great cards Jim. You had a fantastic first day. Have fun tomorrow
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome haul, Jim!! Thanks for sharing!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The Koufax and Aaron both look like 7's. Very Nice!!!
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Holy cats! Nice pickups Jim! That 72 Mays is sharp! Thanks for sharing!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    image Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious now, though. Steve said he would wrap packs in lots greater than one, but it looks like the '73 baseball and '72 football are single packs. I wonder if the policy has changed.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 4's look AMAZING! The Aaron is one of my favorites, congrats on nice pick ups.
    First pack of 83 Topps FB and last rip of the day. Not too shabby. I'm still buzzin from the day, but beat and ready to rest.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    That's quite a haul for one day, with some great looking cards for the grades.

Now that you've seen the National floor, I imagine you are happy you planned a few days to get through it all. By day #3 my feet were sore from all the walking/standing and my back from bending over to look at cards all day. image

Enjoy the rest of the show, Jim, and I hope the other days are as productive for you as this one was.

Snorto~
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing your day! >>

+1
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's quite a first day Jim!

Those 4s are just about as nice as one can get!

The Koufax RC is sweet!

Congratulations on your pickups - good show! image
    Mike
  • Those are some really nice looking cards and packs!!
  • Pretty awesome! Personally, I love those PSA 4's, especially the Koufax! WOW!image
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the variety of cards, packs and you branched out to a little wrestling too. Thanks for sharing.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff - that 72 Mays is a beeeee-otch to find centered like that.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    awesome fun!!! Great job on your rookie hofers...so cool
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That is a great batch. Must have been fun!

Did BBCE have a lot of Star Wars wax available? Do you know the prices?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Love the Koufax and Aaron cards

<< <i>That is a great batch. Must have been fun!

Did BBCE have a lot of Star Wars wax available? Do you know the prices? >>

Thanks Greg, only Star Wars I saw was the green packs, not sure what series and they were 10 each
    So when I left the show yesterday I was still planning on dipping into my first pre-war card. Either a Ruth, Cobb, or Gehrig, as my "souvenir".
    I looked at many on day 1, but by the time I got back to the hotel and started reflecting, I realized I was a little over my head. I just don't know enough to drop anywhere near a grand, just because. While I still intend to eventually add a few pre-war cards, I'll need to become more familiar with them over time. Stay tuned to the end for the replacement souvenir.

So let's warm up with some more basic unopened. Half of last nights 80s racks had a star on top or bottom, so I kept as is instead of opening. Bought replacements today and same "problem" LOL. 3 Mattingly tops, and a Winfield. Also got some random stuff to rip tonite.

On the advice of some, I decided to spend some time finding oddball things I liked that weren't expensive. Started picking through $1-5 bins and got some things that I think will fit some of my displays.
    Loved this. Didn't even think twice. Dodgers are my team. This is the year I was born. It looks cool. It's their 10yr anny in LA. I mean, what's not to like?

Stopped by PSA to pick up my single sub. Got what I expected, so happy for that. I've had this card for over 20 years and stoked to finally have it slabbed.

Next up, some Cowboys for my HOF and Ring of Honor collection.

I found ONE of the 61F BK I was looking for. Shocked how little of this I saw. It's raw, but I like it and got a solid price and hoping it can pull a 5. I paid a 4 price and can't see it doing worse than that.

Finally...my souvenir.

1960 Cello with Drysdale on top. So stoked on this. And I think I'm feeling much better going home with this than one of the pre-war cards.

It's been a blast, I'm on a plane home first thing in the AM, and I can call this show a huge success for me.

As great as it was to see everything and knock off some want list items, without question the highlight for me was the people. Mostly the CU board members and BBCE who I was able to put names with faces and have discussions with that I'm not able to have at home. It was awesome. While I don't think this will be annual for me, I know I'll be back.

Til next time.

Thanks for reading
    Jim

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim, you picked up some real nice items for your collection. Most of all it seems like you had a GREAT time!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Jim

what a nice haul !!

looks like a very successful trip--congrats
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!

How are the prices on older "new" wax - from the past few seasons?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

Excellent recap and thanks for sharing. You had an awesome National! That drysdale cello is one for the ages. Congrats!

Jeremy
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    sheesh, looks like you've picked the place clean. image

congrats!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an awesome trip, congrats on some fine pickups!
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Jim, I really enjoyed this thread, I can tell how much fun you had through this thread. I think you picked up some great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    I'm with you Jim - congratulations on the 60T cello with Don!
    Mike
  • One of my favorite threads I've ever read on this site. Muchos congratos señor!
  • Great stuff. Love the centering on Aaron and Koufax. Enjoy
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 60 Drysdale cello is awesome!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    First national?
    If it is, I guess they are right !! You always remember your first!!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff

Congrats on the pick ups
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 3:49PM
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Jim, thanks for sharing your treasures. You picked up lots of nice stuff, but more importantly, you had fun.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those 4's are crazy nice. Nicely done!!!

"Molon Labe"

I just scrolled down and again that Koufax caught my eye.

I have it in a 7OC and yours is way nicer!

Again - congratulations Tim.
    Mike