Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins I miss...Post one you miss.

I miss these....I liked them. All scans btw with simple Epson2450 all in pr set 1941 but 5c - 1938. The goal originality. Post a coin you miss. The Barber had a pop of 35 - wonder what it is now.

Eric

All Proof: 64, 63 Ex Benson, 65, 67

Pr64 1C (was more brown but very reflective), up to Pr66 Walker no "AW" (fully original I think), 38 nickel was Pr65, 25C Pr66, Merc was Pr65 the colors are pretty accurate

Eric

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember as a child the Mercury Dimes were still popping up in the late 60's. I thought they were really neat.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Eric I would miss those coins also. For them being don on a scanner a while ago the images are nicer than expected. I have a nice 51 proof nickel that has a very close look to yours. We all have coins we miss but then new additions come along to help reduce that feeling of loss. I can imagine how good these coins would look imaged with todays quality.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Eric I would miss those coins also. For them being don on a scanner a while ago the images are nicer than expected. I have a nice 51 proof nickel that has a very close look to yours. We all have coins we miss but then new additions come along to help reduce that feeling of loss. I can imagine how good these coins would look imaged with todays quality. >>

Thanks John,

I must correct - that Benson 10c is the Goldberg image. I forgot. The seller image was a glossy brown and dull so I looked the coin up online and bought it after seeing the old Goldberg catalog photo. The Rev is my icon.

Eric
  • Options
    I was just going to ask you about your icon and if it was one of our missed coins..
  • Options

<< <i>I was just going to ask you about your icon and if it was one of our missed coins.. >>

Hi John.

Yes it is. Benson wiped/cleaned his coins so this is secondary as it appears, but pretty nonetheless IMHO. Hairlines were very minimal. I sold a 92-PR63CAM (dipped, brown with touches of color) to get this pedigreed piece who history I could trace back to 1941.

Eric
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd miss that 38 Jeffy too !

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Thanks. I liked it too - subtle but there and even - the break was not nearly as bad in hand. . FWIW these were "my"grades too - with the exception perhaps of the Morgan 1$. It had real flash and contrast...strike. P-mint Pl not so easy...maybe that's why? The PL status? - different grading, right? Should be, no? Or is it under-graded/strictly graded - it is a 63+ or even 64 now? Or 63 as marked? Rev. was clean as often seen and same look/strike.

Does anyone see anything stickering? Do you like them? No? Do you find any eye appeal? Do you not care for the hazed Pr Washington or do you like it like that? It still had plenty of flash. That tone shows strongly here - it was light very light translucent/transparent milk and with very bluish cast over the whole in the glare and the mirrors were still watery under it. Very thin - more thick skin than tone. Looked very original to me. I guess that was why 66 and also it was very devoid of marks. The Merc was cream gold with deep periphery. I thought it looked pretty rich and strong for the grade. Same with the 41. And the 79. When I sold I made out OK image

Eric
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd reply to the thread but it hurts WAY to much to look back.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really, no regrets so far........
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a PCGS PR-61 OGH, and in a weak moment sent it South to a scumbag in Boca Raton.
    Almost didn't get paid for it also... image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No photo. A 1910-S I found in a stash my aunt let me go through when I was about 12. I sold it a few years later for $4. I left the coin shop feeling disgusted.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins I really miss I don't have images of... I sold them before i got into having coins imaged.

At the top of the list, a 1911-D quarter eagle in PCGS MS63 (rattler). Probably a 64 nowadays. Oh, and THE REST OF the COMPLETE Indian quarter eagle set I had, all in rattler MS63 - MS64 (with a good slug that would upgrade by current standards). Sold them for a relative song in the early 1990's. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No regrets---when I have sold coins in the past, I was done with them. The only two that come close are British sovereigns that I bought when I was 10---my paternal grandmother, a coin collector, took me to an ANA convention in Miami Beach (1967) and I purchased those coins from Dave Bowers. I now mildly regret having sold them a decade later, but they were nothing special, just memories of a time long gone.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1814 Plain 4 Classic Head Large Cent in PC 4 BN that used to be owned by TDN. Some Classic Large Cents have been graded higher (and I've seen then in hand), but this is the nicest example of the series in my book that I've ever seen. It was sold a year ago in January through Stack's with a number of other expensive Large Cents (no pics).
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Bumped for morning crowd. Post a coin you miss...

Comments on the coins I had collected? Good/ Bad? Original? No? Overgade? Stickworthy?

Thanks,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file