Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm guaranteed to win a coin at next heritage auction

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
Famous last words. I've bid 25% over the highest recent auction prices but it's a great looking coin to my tired old eyes. We'll see. I've struck out consistently for the last 6 months on every bid I've placed. No flipping planned, i'll just hold it till I die then my daughters can sell it for half of what I paid.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    This should be interesting.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so long as you don't live (have a shipping address) in MN......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link please,,,,,,, imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've bid 25% over the highest recent auction prices >>

I'm afraid that is not a guarantee of anything.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you win the lot you can ponder why someone else didn't outbid you, and what it is that you missed in your analysis of the coin to allow your bid to stick.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No flipping planned, i'll just hold it till I die then my daughters can sell it for half of what I paid. >>

so all you have to do is get 50% of the value in they way of enjoyment and you're estate will be even with the house once again. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a streak of nearly a year before winning a coin in the last big auction they did. I didn't have to go 25% over bid either. Just happened to find the right coin at the right time. Good luck.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope that works out for ya. keep us posted on what you win, that would be great to see image
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Famous last words. I've bid 25% over the highest recent auction prices but it's a great looking coin to my tired old eyes. We'll see. I've struck out consistently for the last 6 months on every bid I've placed. No flipping planned, i'll just hold it till I die then my daughters can sell it for half of what I paid. >>

If you think your price is reasonable for an attractive coin that you want, good luck to you. However, Bidding $X is no guarantee of anything. And from what I've been seeing of late to me what are less than acceptable coins in expensive holders, I'd be hesitant to put a strong bid on anything either I or a trusted rep has not viewed personally.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just so long as you don't live (have a shipping address) in MN......

image >>

When will you people stop perpetuating this false information??

I called Heritage yesterday, and they are still selling to MN buyers any items that are consigned to them in auctions. The ONLY items they are not selling to MN residents are items that Heritage owns outright and sells "direct buy" to MN residents (mostly via their eBay auction account).

Let me repeat again -- items in Heritage auctions for which they are only the auctioneer will still be available to MN residents for bidding, etc.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Famous last words. I've bid 25% over the highest recent auction prices but it's a great looking coin to my tired old eyes. We'll see. I've struck out consistently for the last 6 months on every bid I've placed. No flipping planned, i'll just hold it till I die then my daughters can sell it for half of what I paid. >>

The last time I thought I had a coin in the bag at HA, a couple of people ran it to five times retail.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found that my only shot at winning Heritage auctions is if there are 3 or 4 of the same coin, (relatively speaking). Date, grade, quality, etc. It spreads out the bidders, and I can get the one of my choice at something approaching price guide prices.

Tends not to work for the super grades, or truely rare. image

(Yes...I proudly buy 'widgets'). image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've bid 25% over the highest recent auction prices >>

I'm afraid that is not a guarantee of anything. >>

NO guarantees at HA---sky is the limit and oftentimes buyers pay "stupid money".

This echoes the sentiment that "when you win an HA auction; you have paid the highest price in the country"

That is an old bourse floor saying.

The good news is that NOBODY offers the volume and selection of Heritage.

Go Hard or GO HOME is the order of the day.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    OUTBID NOTICE. grrrrrrrrrr

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    "No flipping planned, i'll just hold it till I die then my daughters can sell it for half of what I paid. "

I can relate to that. You got the fever when you see the lack of any rationale from a profit and loss standpoint and still can't help yourself.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    NO guarantees at HA---sky is the limit and oftentimes buyers pay "stupid money".

This echoes the sentiment that "when you win an HA auction; you have paid the highest price in the country"

That is an old bourse floor saying.

The good news is that NOBODY offers the volume and selection of Heritage.

Go Hard or GO HOME is the order of the day.

Which is why I disagree with HA pricing the retail rare coin market. Why should a different coin (same date same grade) on an auction venue represent "the market" for all coins, common or rare maybe uber rare.
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    I agree. If you win a coin on heritage, you've generally paid top market value. However, the payoff is that you know exactly what you're getting
    since their pictures are of good quality. I collect early copper, and the fact that they include an EAC grade, along with provenance is a big plus for me.
    Does it justify the premium? I'm not sure.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you win the lot you can ponder why someone else didn't outbid you, and what it is that you missed in your analysis of the coin to allow your bid to stick. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This echoes the sentiment that "when you win an HA auction; you have paid the highest price in the country" >>

Not exactly. Many of those Heritage coins go to dealers who then mark them up and sell them to collectors. Might as well buy at Heritage and cut out the middleman.
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This echoes the sentiment that "when you win an HA auction; you have paid the highest price in the country" >>

Not exactly. Many of those Heritage coins go to dealers who then mark them up and sell them to collectors. Might as well buy at Heritage and cut out the middleman. >>

True.

But remember that dealers use Heritage auctions (and the other auction companies too) as dumping grounds for coins that are unsalable to them.

So you are just as likely to buy a coin that numerous collectors have rejected when you buy at auction.

There is no substitute for seeing the coins ahead of time, and of knowing exactly what to look for when you do.

It is your money you are spending. No doubt you have worked hard to earn it. Spend it wisely.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file