Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Acquired my centerpiece

SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
Based on the various completion/white whale acquisition posts in the last few weeks, it appears that this summer has been very numismatically successful for the members here. It's been equally fruitful for my collection - apologies for the darkside post but this coin has an early US tie-in.

In school, we all learned about Brutus’ assassination of Julius Caesar. For me, it was a compelling story, further enhanced by the reading of Shakespeare’s play which told of the events of the Ides of March. However, my deeper fascination with it came when I began collecting ancient coins, learning that, fortunately for historians and collectors alike, Brutus minted a coin commemorating this turning point in Western history.

It was given a #1 ranking by a consortium of collectors and dealers in the “100 Greatest Ancient Coins” book published by Harlan Berk. The trouble with this type is that it’s very hard to find in good condition and regardless of the condition, its popularity drives up the price.

I am extremely fortunate to have been able to acquire a solid-silver example of this historic type. It’s graded nearly EF and considerably better in hand and in my photos than the auction house’s poorly lit images showed. Around 80 examples are known, 30 of which reside in museums, with many of the remaining coins available to private collectors are in extremely poor condition or corroded due to the impure silver in which they were struck in Brutus’ moving mint.

The obverse bears a portrait of Brutus, the most famous of all assassins. The imagery on the reverse of the coin proclaims that the tyrant Julius Caesar is dead and includes the date of the assassination (EIDibus MARtiis, the Ides of March, the 15th of March, 44 BC). The daggers represent Brutus and Cassius, the two leaders of the uprising against Caesar. The daggers surround a liberty cap as a reminder that Caesar was killed in the name of liberty, freeing the Roman people.

This liberty cap featured on early US coinage comes from the same symbolism. Joseph Wright drew inspiration from the Libertas Americana medal, which also showed a liberty cap (pileus) as on the reverse of this coin. Wright used a Phrygian cap worn in ancient times by newly freed slaves to signify their freedom. This was an important message on US coinage, especially after the public concern over the chain cent, and further reinforced the freedom given to the citizens of the newly founded country.

I still have a number of coins on my wantlist but this has been by far my most sought after type after learning about it when I first started collecting. It is certainly an amazing feeling to finally have acquired it!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin and neat history lesson surrounding it.

With this coin out of the way, what is the next project?
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with me lacking any knowledge of ancient coins....or most ancient history....this one just pegs the "cool meter".

Congrats!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a remarkable piece, and I thank you for the tie-in to US coinage. Great post!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Love the story, love the coin even more. Awesome pickup. Thanks for sharing.

merse

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow...that's amazing. i really like it a lot.
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Great story! Congrats!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your images and write-up are enough to make me want one...and I've never before had an interest in Ancient coins.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amazing history that is told by coins. Whether it is Roman, Green, Indian or US, it's all
    a fun learning experience.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wanting one of these for some time, but have not seriously went after it. The Ides of March is my Birthday so I thought it an appropriate coin to have.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coin! Congrats!!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    A truly beautiful and historically significant piece, one with genuine crossover appeal and a type I have admired for years.

A tip of the laurel wreath to you, fine sir!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on acquiring such a beautiful example of a great coin!

This kind of thing is what numismatics should be about.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the pickup.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic addition and one to be proud of!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!!! That is my favorite coin ... US, world, or whatever. I liked the coin so much, I convinced Ron Landis at the Gallery Mint Museum to create a replica. Great coin from a most interesting time in history.

Congrats on finding such a nice example. They certainly are tough to find in decent condition. When I gave a lecture on this coin to a Roman history class at Colorado College I would have given anything to have an example to pass around.

Simply awesome!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that is a coin that will thrill you every time you look at it for the rest of your life, one of those Supreme Acquistions that I suppose we all have. I am happy for you, sir, and many congratulations.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Very cool! How many varieties are there? It seems many have different character fonts - I am seeing at least 3 or 4?

Eric
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Just wow.

Congrats! That's what this hobby is all about.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    absolutely amazing, Congratulations...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the history behind your beautiful coin. Congratulations and may you acquire the others that you are currently looking for. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! Congratulations!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

If I ever got into ancient coinage, pieces like this would be sort of things I'd like to find, but right now I'm branching into British coinage.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Extraordinary.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed! Thanks for the interesting background info on it as well!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not just cool in a numismatic sense, but it is also a real connection to history. I love it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Thanks for taking time with the great write up.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    Great coin, great post !!! Thank you for sharing ... really amazing how that survived 2000 years.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great tangible link to the past!
    Congrats on a beautiful acquisition and a solid investment. This is a coin most anyone would want to own.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a cool coin. image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so very COOL! I can imagine how thrilled you must be!!!image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the congratulations. Our hobby is a tough one because we can't share it with most of the people we know for security reasons, but at least we're able to share them online. I've learned a lot from this forum and greatly enjoy the level of interaction and historical insight from all of your coins as well.

(I'll be replying in more detail to the specific questions a bit later this evening - thanks again!)
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Great looking coin and neat history lesson surrounding it.

With this coin out of the way, what is the next project? >>

Thanks! This coin for me completes the "big three" for Ancient Rome, along with the Colosseum sestertius and the Port of Ostia sestertius. (Images below). I can now relax a bit, with these "behind" me - I've been worried I'd be priced out of them as they've been increasing so much in the last decade, so I'm grateful that the cards all fell as they did.

I'm working on acquiring adjacent coins related to the story behind the Ides of March. I have a denarius of Julius Caesar which I posted here on the darkside and have just acquired a coin of Brutus' co-conspirator Cassius Longinus. There are a handful of other contemporary coins which I'll be adding as well to tell the complete story.

Then, I'll be working to finish the "Twelve Caesars" while expanding my Greek collection. While I have nearly the same number of coins representing Rome vs Greece, my Roman collection is far more historically comprehensive, and Greece has an extensive history which I'd like to depict numismatically.

My end goal is to be able to tell the major events of Greece/Rome in the first thousand years of coinage (ca 700 BC - 300 AD, a point at which the coins begin to decline aesthetically). While sets of ancient coins aren't quite as cut and dry as that of US coins, it's still very viable to complete a group depending on what parameters you like. There are many big-ticket coins that I have no interest in but I can work around needing to acquire them by using contemporary issues.

Here's the Port of Ostia sestertius (with a writeup here: Port of Ostia)

and my Colosseum sestertius (which I need to post in a separate thread). Next to the Eid Mar, this is my most exciting coin, being minted to commemorate the inaugural games held at the Colosseum in 80 AD and handed out by the emperor Titus to the first spectators:
  • Options

<< <i>Your images and write-up are enough to make me want one...and I've never before had an interest in Ancient coins. >>

Come over to the dark side, we're friendly, I swear image

In all seriousness, I initially assumed I wouldn't like ancient coinage because I had never been particularly intrigued by most of the history. However, I've found that it's mostly the way in which ancient history is told which drives people away. I'm hoping to improve this with more engaging text which hits on the high points, including enough "meat" to be informative but not so thick as to be boring. In writing up my Julius Caesar denarius, I read a few 500+ page books which nearly put me to sleep.
  • Options

<< <i>Way to go!!! That is my favorite coin ... US, world, or whatever. I liked the coin so much, I convinced Ron Landis at the Gallery Mint Museum to create a replica. Great coin from a most interesting time in history.

Congrats on finding such a nice example. They certainly are tough to find in decent condition. When I gave a lecture on this coin to a Roman history class at Colorado College I would have given anything to have an example to pass around.

Simply awesome! >>

Thanks! That sounds like it would have been a great lecture to attend. Have you given any other numismatically-themed lectures? There are certainly a plethora of coins from interesting historical events which could make up a curriculum by themselves.
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool! How many varieties are there? It seems many have different character fonts - I am seeing at least 3 or 4? >>

Thanks! Yes, there are a a handful of varieties, with eight obverse dies known. They were struck at a moving military mint and overall, it was a rather small mintage. However, its rarity is greater now because after Brutus was killed by Octavian, he and Mark Antony recalled and melted down the Eid Mar coinage as they didn't want anti-Imperial messaging to continue to spread.

Luckily a handful of coins slipped through the cracks, some of which were found in a small group, likely buried by the traveling mint itself (although all of those examples are quite corroded). My particular coin shares an obverse die with a few other examples, being identified by some scholars as the most aesthetic depiction of Brutus, and my reverse die is shared with just one low-grade example which resides in a European museum.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, and ElD MAR coin, congrats, that is a vary rare coin, one of the most famous if not the most famous Roman coin!!. I had only seen one in person at the Boston Museum Of Fine Arts.
    What an amazing Find!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brutus celebrating Cesar’s death

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great and rare coin!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic !

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin. Congrats.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this 4 years ago, belated Congrats, SmEagle,

By the way, how's the 12 Caesars collection coming along? Or are you finished?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin indeed!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest those of you curious about SmEagle's collection venture over to the dark side forum. He's been generous in sharing with us some of his amazing acquisitions, always with a nice write-up to go along with picture(s).

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow- really cool and really rare. I remember someone giving a presentation to our coin club and talking about that coin.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file