Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It has taken me 30 years to complete the only possible complete mint state grading set of 1942 zinc

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
in 1982, I started with a raw circulated 1942 zinc plated steel pattern cents ( J-2054) which took me 5 years to locate.

These were the prototype zinc plated steel planchets used for our 1943 cents. These were struck in the Philadelphia Mint in November 1942.

I kept looking and missing chances to upgrade to mint state versions of these througout the 1980's and 1990's. I finally found a mint state piece after 2000 and traded up for it.

Andy Lustig had the finest graded piece which was graded NGC MS-64 and was stunned that he had it!! I acquired it at the 2009 (?) Coinfest show.

I truly believe that one day, these patterns will compete with their 1943 copper cents brothers for fame!!

Here are great pics taken by Todd. I am looking for the MS-63 picture!
Note that the PCGS 62 graded pattern is now CAC stickered.

NGC MS-63 obverse
NGC MS-63 reverse

Plus a bonus picture that I believe should be graded AU-55.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! If they ever compete with the 43 copper cents in price.........you will be one rich dude!image
  • Options
    Note that PCGS is arguing with itself as to the PR vs MS designation!!!!

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very cool!! Thanks for sharing these.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Note that PCGS is arguing with itself as to the PR vs MS designation!!!! image >>

The MS seems to have more of a matte field IMO. A flat finish. Personally, I don't see the proof strike quality but I definitely see the MS.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing - I didn't know they even existed...

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Amazing set and achievement. That said I doubt they or much of anything will ever compete with the 43 coppers for stardom, just too much build up and Hollywood with those. 70year head start of Americana pop culture head start is hard to overcome IMO as seen by the price difference with just the 44 steelelies
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!

Also, none of these are proofs. I'm confident that PCGS would change the designation to MS, if asked.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know about these either. Very cool. Could you explain a little more about why this is a "set"? Have you obtained one in every grade, or are these all different finishes or treatments?

Congratulations!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Holy cow, what a fantastic set! That is history!!

That obverse is beautiful and dignified, I really like it.

Thanks for sharing these, they are new to me as well.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool set!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That's neat.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best threads I have read here in awhile. Very cool patterns! Congratulations on accomplishing your goal.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool set of coins. How many of these exist?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i> What a cool set of coins. How many of these exist? >>

The various publications and auction houses state that a half dozen (6) exist in all grades but I already own 6 and am aware of at least 3 or 4 in various grades including 1 raw one.

So I would state that there are 10 in existence that I am aware of.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very cool and a nice achievement. Congrats!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful and exciting achievement! Congrats, Oreville!
  • Options
    so that's where they all have been hiding
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins and neat idea, but the genuine coin does not seem like it belongs. If the purpose is a "grading set," and you want to include "Details" examples of what to look for, then I would think you would need one each with the various problem types.

Just saying.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that PCGS Registry Sets allow for the inclusion of Genuine slabs, with the provision they receive zero points. My point, I guess, is that you can have a physically complete set despite not all of the coins having an assigned numerical grade.

If I were trying to complete a set of rare pattern, etc. and one of them were Genuine, I'd be thrilled to have the Genuine example. Especially if it were the only one on the market for decades. Love the one you're with ... image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and interesting.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Impressive - Congrats on a hard earned accomplishment!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very kewl stuff. Weren't these also struck in plastic? Not sure you can even strike plastic. Thanks for sharing.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty darn sweet. Very impressive! Congratulations!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY impressive accomplishment. I think it's the mark of a true numismatist to set such a difficult to reach goal and then reach it. I hope your family is as proud of the tremendously historical set as they should be of you!!
    Mark

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Freakin' awesome, oreville. Like the 1913 Liberty nickels, once those go their separate ways, I don't imagine they'll all ever be back in the same collection again.

Congrats on a marvelous achievement!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool accomplishment.....congratulations. image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations and well done. They're all beautiful and a great piece of numismatic history . image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, but the complete grading set requires non-stickered pieces as well...

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome set!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm pretty sure that PCGS Registry Sets allow for the inclusion of Genuine slabs, with the provision they receive zero points.

<< <i>

Wow, once in a while I realize I'm really right about the TPG biz being totally FUBAR. Points. Really!?! No points on a unique piece of history but a bunch on a 70 ASE?!? (No offense to the poster, I know you're just the messenger!)

On the other hand, without it, we're all without a stable hobby. I don't like it but I'm old enough that I can only imagine the chaos without.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's pretty cool.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, once in a while I realize I'm really right about the TPG biz being totally FUBAR. Points. Really!?! No points on a unique piece of history but a bunch on a 70 ASE?!? (No offense to the poster, I know you're just the messenger!)

On the other hand, without it, we're all without a stable hobby. I don't like it but I'm old enough that I can only imagine the chaos without. >>

Kaline6, a couple things to clarify:

- the hobby was perfectly stable before PCGS Registry came along ... However, yes there was some mild chaos before grading became commercialized (slabbing)

- Points are not FU'ed ... without points, how would PCGS determine "highest graded" sets? Some points are for the completeness of a set, while other points are awarded for the grades. And these are all separate for each set. So an ASE set (is there even such a thing?) will have zero impact on the OP's set. They are in totally different categories and do not compete on any level.

You should read the PCGS.com info regarding registry sets. You may find it interesting and I may even be wrong about a detail or two (but I think I've gotten it correct).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Note that PCGS is arguing with itself as to the PR vs MS designation!!!!

image >>

I was going to say something about that......

Nice set!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool seeing all of these together. Oreville, my friend, you collect some interesting stuff!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I did not know that existed. Interesting pattern. No denomination is shown.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Probably to prevent them from being confused with circulating coinage? Denomination must be shown on all US coins. It's in the rules ... 31 U.S. Code § 5112 - Denominations, specifications, and design of coins

excerpt for those with click-aphobia: >> United States coins shall have the inscription “In God We Trust”. The obverse side of each coin shall have the inscription “Liberty”. The reverse side of each coin shall have the inscriptions “United States of America” and “E Pluribus Unum” and a designation of the value of the coin. <<
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Sir I have been stunned into complete awe of your amazing set, no matter the value, to have such a significant and rare part of our numismatic history is nearly beyond my comprehension. Thank you so much for sharing this with us as people such as myself (low on the starting steps) would never get to see somethig such as these.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful, thanks for posting
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Purchased an ANACS AU-55 and will post picture soon.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very cool set - thank you very much for sharing your personal set with us.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Purchased an ANACS AU-55 and will post picture soon. >>

maybe you can get a name change being you own almost all of that scant mintage to

1942 oreville pattern cents

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Oreville!
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the best threads I have read here in awhile. Very cool patterns! Congratulations on accomplishing your goal. >>

+1
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great achievement....Congratulations....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnificent set and achievement!
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list