Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bids on HOF Coins Falling Big Time - Dump them?

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, the mint-as-many-as-they-want thingy takes all the pizazzz out of the offering...
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>the price quoted was from a dealer's dealer.. where my dealer even buys coins from on a regular basis.. those buying on the bay in for a rude surprise if they find out what is going wholesale price >>

!) Those "buying on the bay" can't buy from a dealer's dealer

2) If they are buying for their collection or even for potential future value they really don't care what the "wholesale" price (not available to them) is today.... >>

either the dealer buy price /wholesale goes up.. or the retail price goes down..my bet is retail starts going down at a quick pace

My coin club has been offered these coins all the way down from $800.. 700....600...550...480....425..and now $370.00 today 100 lots easy to obtain from multiple sources ...
    that post from a dealer at the Baltimore show saying melt price was near proved very propheticimage >>

At $370 i would buy them. You can get $625 on the bay there not selling like hot cakes but selling. Where can i buy them at this price? >>

Add 3 proof and 3 Unc for me and I'll piss off the other half

$370 is a great price for them. >>

well I will give the dealer's name that was quoting a melt price ....use your negotiating skills to get the best price.... And this dealer will be at the ANA show
  • I don't think there would be many jumping on the $370 WTB offer if put on the BST forum here.
  • JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

<< <i>Modern commemoratives remind me of tulip-mania and the irrational market that goes along with it. They are good in the VERY short term but after all the HYPE dies down you are left holding the bag.

I will say here what I've always said all along-----Your best investment potential lies in scarce, popular design coins, in high grade that were made for commerce and heavily circulated with few to little MS survivors.

You don't have to own an 1804 dollar or a 1916 Standing Liberty quarter but just buy the scarcest coins in the highest grade and of the best quality that you can afford. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! >>

I don't know about that. In the past ten years I built complete silver type set with most of the gold which cost more than most houses I've owned. I also have a complete modern silver/gold set which has way out performed the fist just based on the melt price of all of the modern gold pieces which I purchased before the gold run up. Most of the expensive type stuff (1796 50c & 25c, etc) where purchased in 2008. If I sold the type set today it would be for a lose but the "modern" stuff would most likely make a profit. None of this stuff was purchased to make money and most likely will never be sold. The life of a compulsive collector...
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If you like big markups from wholesale then you should get into the mattress business. Pay $350 for a memory foam mattress, sell $1200-1500.

Markup is how retailers make a living. Typical markup across all retail is 3x's wholesale. Average maybe 2.5 X's. Some industries are tighter than others, for example coins and clothing are extremely tight margins. But it's all meaningless because consumers don't pay wholesale. That's the whole point (pardon the pun).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday July 22, 2014 10:24 AM (NEW!)

Order 4299xxxx for Gold Proof placed 29 Mar @ 8:07 PM shows "Item is no longer available".

Order 4297xxxx for Gold Proof placed 28 Mar @2:17 PM is still backordered.

not my order. from another thread.

looks like the end may be near for the gold coins.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • nagsnags Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    I was foolish enough to watch the fellow on HSN last night. Apparently the price and market for these is incredibly strong! He's already talking up and setting up the future gouging on the Kennedys.

<< <i>I was foolish enough to watch the fellow on HSN last night. Apparently the price and market for these is incredibly strong! He's already talking up and setting up the future gouging on the Kennedys. >>

But, but, they are being offered in an alternate universe at $370.....image

<< <i>

<< <i>I was foolish enough to watch the fellow on HSN last night. Apparently the price and market for these is incredibly strong! He's already talking up and setting up the future gouging on the Kennedys. >>

But, but, they are being offered in an alternate universe at $370.....image >>

They were offered at 370.. coin club bought 100 at 370 . and more at 380 ..

can't go below melt...... and gold will rise sharply into late August ...... still a lot of gold hofs aroundimage
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But, but, they are being offered in an alternate universe at $370.....image >>

<< <i>I don't think there would be many jumping on the $370 WTB offer if put on the BST forum here. >>

if we can't make the number we want .....we'll dump them on ebay

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think there would be many jumping on the $370 WTB offer if put on the BST forum here. >>

if we can't make the number we want .....we'll dump them on ebay >>

I think the comment was saying if YOU put an offer to BUY (WTB) any HOF gold for $370 you would not get too many coins heading your way....just sayin'...

FYI: the last 3 raw sold yesterday on Ebay for $610 (unc), $590 (PF) and $635 (unc)....APMEX has been selling them for $818.95 (CC) and has only 6 PF and 12 UNC left

...and "the coin club" found someone who sold them 100 for $370??? image

<< <i>can't go below melt >>

......I'll give you that one

<< <i> and gold will rise sharply into late August >>

......ummmm....it's gone nowhere in the last 4-5 months..nothing says "sharply" up to me in a month >>

<< <i> still a lot of gold hofs around >>

yes, almost all have been delivered. Price should level off soon....
    There is always someone who makes ridiculous price claims. And there are plenty of fools who
    are easily parted from their money. Talk is talk and what I am hearing is not what I am seeing.
    Still money to be made on these and now thousands of people are starting to be informed that
    their orders are being cancelled. Thoes who dump deserve the losses they incur.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>There is always someone who makes ridiculous price claims. And there are plenty of fools who
    are easily parted from their money. Talk is talk and what I am hearing is not what I am seeing.
    Still money to be made on these and now thousands of people are starting to be informed that
    their orders are being cancelled. Thoes who dump deserve the losses they incur.image >>

the Mint is pulling a scam on some of its customers .. delivering a gold hofs over 4 months after it was 1st offered... after the price drops below their own Mint issue price
    The fact prices for the gold hofs collapsed over 2 months bodes poorly for the coins down the road. .just look a the 2006 ,2011 Anniv sets .. the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot ..

Can you believe no one took up my offer to call the coin dealer, who was buy price for gold HOFS was at spot gold price .... dealer was saying the demand fallen down quite a bit
    The coin club bought the gold HOfs for a short term trade .. not holding past late August
    Even one of my friends was counting on making a big kill on the gold hofs to vacation in Europe . well he in now at Indiana Dunes State park

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    If I had any today I would hold them for a price increase but I wisely sold all of mine when the price was super inflated.

They will never reach those highs again in my lifetime.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is always someone who makes ridiculous price claims. And there are plenty of fools who
    their orders are being cancelled. Thoes who dump deserve the losses they incur.image >>

the Mint is pulling a scam on some of its customers .. delivering a gold hofs over 4 months after it was 1st offered... after the price drops below their own Mint issue price
    The fact prices for the gold hofs collapsed over 2 months bodes poorly for the coins down the road. .just look a the 2006 ,2011 Anniv sets .. the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot ..

Can you believe no one took up my offer to call the coin dealer, who was buy price for gold HOFS was at spot gold price .... dealer was saying the demand fallen down quite a bit
    The coin club bought the gold HOfs for a short term trade .. not holding past late August
    Even one of my friends was counting on making a big kill on the gold hofs to vacation in Europe . well he in now at Indiana Dunes State park >>

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    All my latest Coin Investments are rock solid. I buy Coins at face value and barter them for goods and services.

It works out great. Maybe one day I'll reveal my secrets. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take a look back at the release date and prices, and maybe someone would like to do some "follow-up" with current trends.

03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Proof $5 Gold Coin $424.75
    03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Uncirculated $5 Gold Coin $419.75
    03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Proof Silver Dollar $51.95
    03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Uncirculated Silver Dollar $47.95
    03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Proof Clad Half-Dollar $23.95
    03/27/2014 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Uncirculated Clad Half-Dollar $22.95

image where are they now ? Eventually they'll end up with a collector somewhere who will pay FMV.
    Raw Gold proof & uncirculated still a steady sell at $ 600 on Ebay. Will pick up now that orders are being cancelled.

Still a long way from melt.image
  • $600 on eBay is close to $500 net. Still more than melt but hardly worth the trouble to me when you consider possible bad eBay transaction, lost in mail. Time to move on to the next mint hosing.

<< <i>$600 on eBay is close to $500 net. Still more than melt but hardly worth the trouble to me when you consider possible bad eBay transaction, lost in mail. Time to move on to the next mint hosing. >>

Just mentioned Ebay in relation to value of the coin not profit. Many people still willing to pay $ 600 + to get the coin.
    People paying almost $ 800 on APMEX to get them.

Ebay sucks. Thoes who pay $ 100 to make a $ 600 sale need to find a better way to market their coins.

<< <i>the Mint is pulling a scam on some of its customers .. delivering a gold hofs over 4 months after it was 1st offered... after the price drops below their own Mint issue price
    The fact prices for the gold hofs collapsed over 2 months bodes poorly for the coins down the road. .just look a the 2006 ,2011 Anniv sets .. the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot . >>

image DUDE!....can you say image 2006 raw 1500%+ over spot and 300% to 1200% over issue price
    .....................................................2011 Annie set just under 700% over spot and 250-400% over issue price
    .....................................................08/07 Let's just say raw equals 2000% over spot ...graded more than that...

Yup.....real scam they got going there.

Beliefs do NOT equal facts....

BTW...your above statement does make the $370 more understandable.....not that it makes sense...but because it is consistent with other beliefs
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$600 on eBay is close to $500 net. Still more than melt but hardly worth the trouble to me when you consider possible bad eBay transaction, lost in mail. Time to move on to the next mint hosing. >>

I pay (0) to sell on S/B no fee's to me and they do all the work. Loving it all the way to the bank.....

Hoard the keys.
  • its to the point you have to sell the silver at what you paid to move them. I have no problem helping them get in to collectors hands at a bit over cost. I have more proofs and unc silver in process and I might just cancel them. If they only shipped 6% of the silver I am real worried to see what will the prices be on these coins in the next 30 days or so.......

Does anyone know if your 4.95 shipping will be refunded automatically if you cancel online since they shipped the stupid bags and charged the cc? or do I have to call and request the refund for each order?

<< <i>its to the point you have to sell the silver at what you paid to move them. I have no problem helping them get in to collectors hands at a bit over cost. I have more proofs and unc silver in process and I might just cancel them. If they only shipped 6% of the silver I am real worried to see what will the prices be on these coins in the next 30 days or so.......

Does anyone know if your 4.95 shipping will be refunded automatically if you cancel online since they shipped the stupid bags and charged the cc? or do I have to call and request the refund for each order? >>

I cancelled an order for 6 silver and they auto refunded my $4.95

<< <i>

<< <i>the Mint is pulling a scam on some of its customers .. delivering a gold hofs over 4 months after it was 1st offered... after the price drops below their own Mint issue price
    The fact prices for the gold hofs collapsed over 2 months bodes poorly for the coins down the road. .just look a the 2006 ,2011 Anniv sets .. the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot . >>

image DUDE!....can you say image 2006 raw 1500%+ over spot and 300% to 1200% over issue price
    .....................................................2011 Annie set just under 700% over spot and 250-400% over issue price
    .....................................................08/07 Let's just say raw equals 2000% over spot ...graded more than that...

Yup.....real scam they got going there.

Beliefs do NOT equal facts....

BTW...your above statement does make the $370 more understandable.....not that it makes sense...but because it is consistent with other beliefs >>

dude you all miss the point .. gold hofs are the scam ..they are still being delivered while dropping below issue price .. the other older Mint products are the successful Mint products..... which highlight the scam the hof gold have become on it's customers
    Sorry for telling the truth about what looks like your inventory book.. but the that is the case
    talking up posts will not increase the price of a losing Mint product called the gold hofs ..
    What is believe dude , don't make no difference to me... but either the price of gold hofs rise or the retail price drops
    looks forum members were hesitant to call on the Chicago dealer that quoted a buy price for gold hofs at spot ..

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sour grapes make dry whine. ( Don't quote me if you can't spell my name)

Play Balling

<< <i>The fact prices for the gold hofs collapsed over 2 months bodes poorly for the coins down the road. .just look a the 2006 ,2011 Anniv sets .. the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot >>

Hmmm.....looks like you are equating the coins mentioned and the HOF's because of the " Mint scam"....

<< <i>the 2008/2007 silver eagles 2009 UHR even the 2013 reverse Buffalo hugs above spot >>

Hugs over spot.....that would be a VERY big hug....

Obviously we see reality differently so I will let it lie.... sorry if I offended.
  • JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Breakeven sales price for proof gold on ebay is roughly (coin cost + shipping + ebaystore + mint shipping)/1-(ebay & paypal fees%) = (425 + 15 + 15 + 5)/(1-.06-.03) = $505.50
    So anything over that is profit.
    Decent breakdown....and I think this is near market bottom so let's see what happens going forward. I really do not see these going to near spot in the near future.

My opinion....

Oh, and scoop up those $370's when you see 'em image

<< <i>

Just mentioned Ebay in relation to value of the coin not profit. Many people still willing to pay $ 600 + to get the coin.
    People paying almost $ 800 on APMEX to get them.

Ebay sucks. Thoes who pay $ 100 to make a $ 600 sale need to find a better way to market their coins. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i> Many people still willing to pay $ 600 + to get the coin.
    People paying almost $ 800 on APMEX to get them. >>

Key point.....

<< <i>

Key point..... >>

lets see greysheet gold hofs.. 560... dealer buy point -20 -25 % ..back of bid..... = $447 - $420....
    If your only sales outlet is someone who pays less than what it is worth then sells if for more than it is worth.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE BUYING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Key point..... >>

lets see greysheet gold hofs.. 560... dealer buy point -20 -25 % ..back of bid..... = $447 - $420.... >>

As was mentioned quite a few posts ago....then don't sell to dealers...sell where you will get the best price and that is OBVIOUSLY not to dealers at $420. The prices that collectors are willing to pay have been posted a few times....but, as with everything, it is totally your choice

Dealer at $420 (minus shipping/insurance expenses)

Ebay at $600+ (minus Ebay/PayPal fees)

<< <i>

<< <i>

..or...here's a unique idea...don't sell into the glut. Maybe just hold it for a while....just a thought
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Breakeven sales price for proof gold on ebay is roughly (coin cost + shipping + ebaystore + mint shipping)/1-(ebay & paypal fees%) = (425 + 15 + 15 + 5)/(1-.06-.03) = $505.50
    So anything over that is profit. >>

If I'm wrong, please forgive (or correct) me, but I don't believe your equation takes into account the shipping charges to the hypothetical ebay buyer, so I see the 'break even' number being closer to $523/$524, solely based on how I ship (and to be used as a gauge only, due to the many shipping methods used), which is Priority 'small box'... shipping cost is $5.80 before insuring, insurance is $9.25 (using $525 as amount insured), now you're at $15.05...you need sig confirm, so add signature confirm at $2.90, and your total is $17.95 paying at the P.O., or $16.85 to print label from USPS website)....so, shipping Priority 'small box', your 'break even' number is now $523.45 at the P.O., or $522.35 if printing the label.
    I'll come up with something.
    Assuming you are offering free shipping....and why priority? First Class takes the same time to be delivered as Priority....small coin...minimal weight....1st class is the way to go
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "End user" ?

Why I am shocked image at that term!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    I used $15 as an estimate for first class shipping. Specific numbers will vary according to how everyone sells their coins. Just saying (as was said earlier in this thread) a profit is a profit, and one can still be had for these coins.

Have to admit I like these coins and will keep a full set for myself. Likely will hold on to a few gold coins & see how it plays out in the future (may try to sell during world series or opening day next year).
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have feeling that by the opening day of next year, that the people who are willing to pay a premium now for the HOF gold will have turned the page and moved on. The mintage is just too high for a modern coin IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I just cut 6 of my last 12 orders for silver prf and unc coins. I hope the mint refunds my shipping without a call like they have done for others. If this keeps up the last 6 orders will be chopped also.
  • What a clown show the Mint is. Does it really take over 3 months to mint a coin? Cancelling silver orders as its going to be a complete flood when they come out, prices will crash just like the Gold. Ok spend a lot of money minting the coins and then stuck with a boatload of them - what a crap operation.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I finally have a single Silver Proof on the way and a Silver BU is supposed to be coming about 10 days after.
    What a crap way to deliver Coins. It will cost me to do returns, might be cheaper to keep them. Of course if
    they are badly damaged that will be a real problem.

I think I just need to take a break from all this US Mint game playing

<< <i>What a clown show the Mint is. Does it really take over 3 months to mint a coin? Cancelling silver orders as its going to be a complete flood when they come out, prices will crash just like the Gold. Ok spend a lot of money minting the coins and then stuck with a boatload of them - what a crap operation. >>

They will be stuck with zero coins.....exactly why they severely oversold the issue. I have a feeling they knew precisely what was going to follow.

<< <i>

<< <i>What a clown show the Mint is. Does it really take over 3 months to mint a coin? Cancelling silver orders as its going to be a complete flood when they come out, prices will crash just like the Gold. Ok spend a lot of money minting the coins and then stuck with a boatload of them - what a crap operation. >>

They will be stuck with zero coins.....exactly why they severely oversold the issue. I have a feeling they knew precisely what was going to follow. >>

Like any good retail business, a good marketing plan is necessary. Do we really need to wait for that movie to come out in theaters? By the time the advertising and previews have begun, it is often already finished. It's called marketing and promotion. Musicians do the same thing. We record a song, finish it and then begin promoting its release. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mint had already struck all the coins before they began releasing any sales dates.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

prices for gold ngc prf70s now in the $600-625 range on the bay ...raw below .. to the forum member who PM-ed me.. some problems with computer.. so can't reply........ coin club only buys and sells big coin blocks .. a gold futures low , next low
    The Mint is either incompetent running their business ,or are making fools out of it's customers to wait for delivery of coins purchased 4 months ago
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

They will be stuck with zero coins.....exactly why they severely oversold the issue. I have a feeling they knew precisely what was going to follow. >>

Now you done made me go look.

Gold..................................... Proof .......Unc
    .........Apparent final mintage: 32,026.....17,974
    Number of orders at sell out: 39,269......22,015
    Total cancellations since s/o: 679...........277
    Cancels in the last 4 weeks.: 207..........117
    ...............Cancels last week: 132..........51
    ..................Still oversold by: 6,564.......3,764

So if all the gold has been shipped, then the mint will be sending out 10,300 dear john letters. image

Silver.................................... Proof ........Unc
    .........Apparent final mintage: 262,091.....137,909
    Number of orders at sell out: 288,383.....151,046
    Total cancellations since s/o: 5,841.........4,210
    Cancels in the last 4 weeks.: 2,469.........2,123
    ...............Cancels last week: 817............821
    ..................Still oversold by: 20,451.....8,927

So cancels are picking up, but I don't see the mint getting stuck with any.

Oh, "last week" is July 14-20.

If anyone cares about the clads, they've sold 199,555 proofs, 127,954 uncs, or about 43% sold.

The proofs should pick up once the Y/N set is released, and in the week between 7/6 and 7/13, there was an increase of 15,000 uncirculated clads above the average sales. (The Mint was averaging about 2,000 clad unc's sold per week for the past couple of months, and it suddenly jumped to 17,000.) Someone or some company bought 15K units?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received an email from the mint that the HOF gold coin was sold out, and that I won't be getting one. This was after they sent me an email that they would be shipping me a coin on August 1. All I ordered was one coin, and that's all I wanted.

Many thanks to member ERICKSO1 who sold me a coin a few months ago. It was a very classy thing to do. image

What you have seen here is the kind of service you get from the government, yet many want to make themselves "wards of state." These are only coins, which we can live without. Just imagine if you were a veteran who is depending upon the VA for medical service.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭
    I may cancel 11 of my MS silver. Just hate cancelling a sold out issue, but prices are falling, but seem to be stabilizing at around $72 for the silver. But the majority of these have not even shipped by the mint yet, so they will probably fall to around issue price is my guess when they flood the market. Wish I knew.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file