Home Precious Metals
Options

Wait, silver buffalo that says "German Silver" on the back?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
This, an ASE, and two morgans were on sale at the local Auction.

The silver buffalo said, German Silver, on the back. Felt like 1oz for the second I got to pick it up and drop it,
and I didn't notice a .999 right off. WTF?
Do you think this meant, made in Germany w German .999 silver, or the fake German silver?

(btw, The silver and old beat up worn 1992 ASE went for $31 each, which shows poor state of the customer base knowledge.
The basic, to almost culled Morgans did about the same. One was an O but still a crazy price for nearly cull quality coins.
So the first thing I did was ask if I could sell some there.)
COA

Comments

• Options
    German Silver = Brass...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    German silver is not silver. It's a nickname.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    German Silver is a common name for an allow of copper, nickel and zinc. Also called nickel-brass.

The Feuchtwanger cent token is essentially German Silver, though he added certain trace elements and then patented the result.

What you saw was a perfectly legal fraud.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but a fake for the souvenir collectors...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>German Silver is a common name for an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc >>

Same holds true for: Nickel Silver and Tibetan Silver. NOT SILVER but alloys of non silver.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."