Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping has begun.image

The race to first strike and 70's is on.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine have shipped.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> As far as getting coins out in time for First Strike the Mint does not give a Rat's A** and they have no reason to. >>

I highly suspect that they do care about customer satisfaction and if offering to ship coins early that are still waiting for their mint packaging would improve that satisfaction, I'm confident they would be all ears.

Generally speaking, it's ironic that it's always the same negative comments about the mint with each new product yet the same buyers keep returning for the same abuse. Those with complaints should offer suggestions to fix things directly to the mint, learn to live with the abuse, or just quit being a customer. Their creation of the "waiting room" because of a locked up website during "rush hour" shows their willingness to try to improve.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Given the tight ER/FS dates, looks like there will be a good premium on those coins.
    My 12:08 hasn't shipped yet, IS&R no cancel box since last week. Card charged.
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    My 12:07 order has now shipped

<< <i>Given the tight ER/FS dates, looks like there will be a good premium on those coins. >>

Don't you mean "good premium on these labels?" image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

You are correct!!!!!image

Now if it wasn't labels we were talking about with the Gold Kennedy's (FDI - Philly, Denver, etc.) but different MM's - then we would have something.

The US Mint is behind the times a little. The postal service created a rarity that could have been sourced by the average guy in the "non inverted" Jenny

I always said the US Mint should produce a set of commems, at different mints, and you can either buy the complete set of MM's (limited) or singles are luck of the draw.

Mintages not known until after sales are completed. One month window.

<< <i>My 12:07 order has now shipped >>

We need a new label "First Day Issue - Internet Orders" image

For those purchased on 8/5 and have a ship date of 8/12......................HAHAHAHA
  • JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Any update on sales number lately and shouldn't the price go up $37.50 tomorrow?

<< <i>

<< <i> As far as getting coins out in time for First Strike the Mint does not give a Rat's A** and they have no reason to. >>

I highly suspect that they do care about customer satisfaction and if offering to ship coins early that are still waiting for their mint packaging would improve that satisfaction, I'm confident they would be all ears.

Generally speaking, it's ironic that it's always the same negative comments about the mint with each new product yet the same buyers keep returning for the same abuse. Those with complaints should offer suggestions to fix things directly to the mint, learn to live with the abuse, or just quit being a customer. Their creation of the "waiting room" because of a locked up website during "rush hour" shows their willingness to try to improve. >>

Sure they care about their customers and want quick and convienent turnaround, however first strik is not on their agenda.

Always fun to kick someone when their down. It's like the saying goes

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Disclaimer: Not directed at anyone personally.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>Any update on sales number lately and shouldn't the price go up $37.50 tomorrow? >>

Still showing sales at 56,694. Should see the weekly update at coinupdate.com on Wednesday.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any update on sales number lately and shouldn't the price go up $37.50 tomorrow? >>

Still showing sales at 56,694. Should see the weekly update at coinupdate.com on Wednesday. >>

As posted (somewhere else around here), if gold stays above $1300 until tomorrow's London fix, the price will go up to $1277.50.

Latest sales figure was 67,100 on the second day of sales. Sales data was released from the mint yesterday, and K15 was not listed. Unless they add it in today, we won't have any numbers for the gold.

Edited to add: Should have included the K14 data. Sales of the clads through Sunday was 112,134, an increase of 14,479 over last week.
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Anyone else notice that the "survey box" does not seem to come up anymore while on the mint website since the Kennedy fiasco? I have not had one survey come up since things started to go bad at the shows.... Maybe it's just me...
    12:08 shipped
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Sales (net) have hit the wall apparently. The mint's xls sheet shows 62,341 as of 8/10 while they were 61,700 as of 8/7.

<< <i>Sales (net) have hit the wall apparently >>

And now the backwardation begins!!!

Look for lower numbers in the next two weeks.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing changes more than "already changing" has changed anything. And it's fun to watch the reactions, subsequent to this change.
    Looks to me like : "business as usual" and no change at all.

HE>I

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sales (net) have hit the wall apparently. The mint's xls sheet shows 62,341 as of 8/10 while they were 61,700 as of 8/7. >>

Ah, they put it under "precious metals products" rather than "special collectables"...
  • Tuesday August 12, 2014 11:04 AM Sales (net) have hit the wall apparently. The mint's xls sheet shows 62,341 as of 8/10 while they were 61,700 as of 8/7.

This is nothing new. Probably be lucky to sell 75k total
    I agree
    How are dealers gonna sustain the hype for these? The paid actors, the fake $100,000 sale (c'mon, you know it doesn't pass muster). And now the supply floodgates are opening presently.... thousands of these will be in public hands by the end of the week. Hows it all gonna play out.

<< <i>Hows it all gonna play out >>

IMO, just like the UHR.

<< <i>

IMO, just like the UHR. >>

Will it have the UHR's staying power? That coin's still doing OK, even after that promotion that ended a couple years ago where they got a big bounce and drop.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>How are dealers gonna sustain the hype for these? The paid actors, the fake $100,000 sale (c'mon, you know it doesn't pass muster). And now the supply floodgates are opening presently.... thousands of these will be in public hands by the end of the week. Hows it all gonna play out. >>

Whelp, I followed the money trail to "a" coin vault and their entire stock of 100's of coins in all sorts of wrappers was available early yesterday and completely sold out by the mid/end of the day...

Edit: Looks like they now have replenished their stock a bit. Now on to dumping the 69's and additional Proof 70's Chicago stock, currently showing an additional 61 coins available at $4,995 ea.

So, that's several 100's at 5K per pop, and apparently nothing left to sustain unless you're considering the chase for the FS/ER coins which simply fits within their normal margins.

Lastly, there are other articles wherein those paid actors weren't there to simply create a buzz which is akin to the not only the dog eating the homework but eating the entire classroom, but were there to buy coins. Now if people want to be gullible and postulate ridiculous stories a career as a defense attorney may be in their future.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Tuesday August 12, 2014 11:04 AM Sales (net) have hit the wall apparently. The mint's xls sheet shows 62,341 as of 8/10 while they were 61,700 as of 8/7.

This is nothing new. Probably be lucky to sell 75k total >>

Yeah, I was thinking 70k before the fiasco and that might be close. 80k total would be a surprise at this point.

Does the mint price go up to $1278 tomorrow? image
  • "paid actors"?

That is a stretch. Did you see the video of those people? They didn't exactly look like movie stars...

The correct term is "extras". Some might have thought they were going to be in a TV commercial, but they were hired to buy coins. Anything else they were told was just to keep them from making a run for it with 3/4 of an ounce of gold in their hand after the dealer paid.

<< <i>

I'm thinking more like the baseballs.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FIRST POPULATION REPORT

The percentage of 70's is in line with the HOF results.

The designation of "DC" and "Philadelphia" are a little confusing. A population report search gives these numbers:

A strange mix of clad and gold under the same number as well as untrue first day of issue.

The point remains that manufactured hype was part & parcel of the thing. But Casman's probably right that the horse is already out of the barn... the dealers have already made off with the loot. It's all the more incredible when I tune into coin vault last night and they were selling complete sets of four 1st day issues in 70 for $20K and 69 for $15K. And the host said they would not break up the sets.
    Mine also has shipped. 8/5 12:14, one ordered.

Edited to add:
    And the email confirmation just came in 3:30 pm HST 5 hours later

• goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭
    2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin (K15)

This product is temporarily unavailable for product repricing.

Darn and I was just going to order some image Now Price: $1,277.50 I will definitely be getting some now...

From "Mint News Blog" cumulative sales as of 8/10:
    "To recap all sales data for the gold coin, after the opening day sales had reached 56,694. After the second day, sales had risen by 5,006 units to 61,700. Now after five days, cumulative sales are just 641 units higher at 62,341.

Sales for the two coin copper-nickel clad 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set have reached 112,134 units. Sales have been much steadier for the lower priced set.

To recap all sales data for the two coin clad set, after the launch date on July 24, sales had reached 68,974 units. As of July 27, sales had risen by 15,619 to 84,593. As of August 3, sales rose by 13,062 to 97,655. Now as of August 10, sales have risen by 14,479 to 112,134 units."

Sales really fell off after the initial rush didn't they. The prediction of 75K final mintage is looking better.

• Last 5 days they sold 641 and now the price is up to $1277.50. That should really put the breaks on. I'll be surprised if they sell 50 in the next 5 days.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design notwithstanding, this is reminiscent of the UHR release.
    I, for one, don't really care for the UHR design (I did like the profit it brought though, when I sold image ).

So, people can complain about the Kennedy, but it does look like it could track similar to the UHR in the early stages.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I am new to this, how did the UHR track in the early stages?
    WHAT A FLIP

Is there anything left after fees and shipping ? What a wasted effort!image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am new to this, how did the UHR track in the early stages? >>

Strong

And I'd ask dealers at the baltimore show months after they went off sale if they had any and they'd say "I wish I did"
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm thinking more like the baseballs. >>

I'm thinking more between the RPB and the UHR but not like the HOF gold.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    Pricing on the UHR and 20th Anniversary sets did much, much better after the coins were delivered.

People don't want to risk $1300+ on a pre-sale, especially when they can purchase the coin directly from the mint for less.

Prices should rise once the first batch is in collectors hands, are turned around into PCGS for grading and those first strikes are available on eBay.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

<< <i>looks like my 437098xx is still on hold,

437096xx is cancel box gone.

these were minutes apart, around 12:40 - 12:45pm >>

437096xx shipped.

437098xx is still on hold with cancel box.

<< <i>WHAT A FLIP

Is there anything left after fees and shipping ? What a wasted effort!image >>

How many will ship before FS cutoff? Will demand exceed supply for FS 70's? Will there be much of a premium?

With the latest reported sales it looks like demand for raw coins went over the cliff.

It's not over until the big lady sings.
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>WHAT A FLIP

Is there anything left after fees and shipping ? What a wasted effort!image >>

How many will ship before FS cutoff? Will demand exceed supply for FS 70's? Will there be much of a premium?

With the latest reported sales it looks like demand for raw coins went over the cliff.

It's not over until the big lady sings. >>

I guess the reason raw coin sale flat because order reached over 40k and no one want to wait 3 to 4 month for the coin like Gold BHOF.
    and I don't get it how the mint processing order, mine order 43707xxx still show ON HOLD.

<< <i>Pricing on the UHR >>

Not true on UHR's - early on you could get FS 70's for like $1700 bucks. Much less for raws.

Why would you think raws would outperform the mint price when they are still available? The only value would be in FS eligible. That value will come later once the FS PR70's price is set.
    I can just see the multi-coin holder now -

All 4 silver Kennedy's, 2 clads and the Gold. A nice 7 piece set.

<< <i>I can just see the multi-coin holder now -

All 4 silver Kennedy's, 2 clads and the Gold. A nice 7 piece set. >>

And maybe a Jackie Kennedy gold coming next year?

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can just see the multi-coin holder now -

All 4 silver Kennedy's, 2 clads and the Gold. A nice 7 piece set. >>

And maybe a Jackie Kennedy gold coming next year? >>

I'll be in for the Jackie coin, the first in a few years for me.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Should get mine tomorrow. 12:25 order, shipped yesterday.
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

NGC cutoff is September 12th. Kudos to NGC for the later date!!!!

NGC Cut OFF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file