Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Worst of the Worst at ANA...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Holy cow! This might make me wander out to Rosemont just to see 'em!

“Worst of the Worst” Morgan Dollars in PCGS Exhibit at ANA Convention

"The Professional Coin Grading Service will display the "worst of the worst" collection of Morgan dollars during the ANA 2014 Chicago World’s Fair of Money, held August 5 to 9."

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many will have CAC stickers. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine what these dollars would say if they could speak....... yikes!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many will have CAC stickers. image >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.... unique display, but not an area of interest for me... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst known is such a silly concept. Makes money for the grading companies though.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    To each his own in the coins they decide to collect...but I don't get it.

Never any interest in the low grades for me.

Mike
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Worst known is such a silly concept. Makes money for the grading companies though. >>

Exactly. Just another TPG game to increase submissions. I don't see how this can be considered pro-collector when the grading costs for these low grade coins are higher than the value of the coins themselves.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options

<< <i>Worst known is such a silly concept. Makes money for the grading companies though. >>

<< <i> I don't see how this can be considered pro-collector when the grading costs for these low grade coins are higher than the value of the coins themselves. >>

Kinda like riding my Harley. If I need to explain you wouldn't understand.
    Silly? So it's like collecting medieval coins? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I've collected low grade coins (and had them slabbed) way before they established the low grade registry.
    JJ Singleton, An uneducated opinion from someone who has probably never attempted to purchase slabbed POP1 Low grade coins. The "value" far exceeds the grading fees.
    Besides, what does the value have to do with collecting or "pro-collector"?
    So did my CC Gold Collection meet your standards, but not my Peace dollars?
    Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean you need to knock it.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it.

It's not my cup of tea, but it's right down my alley, _______. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End of the Trail Collection - what a great name! image

Actually, I'm impressed with collections like these - it often takes a lot of knowledge to correctly attribute a worn out coin!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Worst known" collecting is a waste of collector's time and money.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Phew! When I saw the title of this thread I thought the OP was on his way to getting banned from this Forum.

I think whatever gives someone pleasure in coin collecting should be encouraged.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Phew! When I saw the title of this thread I thought the OP was on his way to getting banned from this Forum. >>

My first reaction as well.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm familiar with that set... a lot of them have stickers.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Brings enjoyment and fun to those that hunt for, collect and submit them though. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Exactly. Just another TPG game to increase submissions. I don't see how this can be considered pro-collector when the grading costs for these low grade coins are higher than the value of the coins themselves. >>

Each coin can be graded at the Economy level which is $20 and I'd like to know where you can purchase an 1893-S and an 1894 at less than $62 each?

There are many coins within that collection which cost well over $50 each regardless of grade. Finding low ball candidates that do not have damage can be quite a challenge.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a little bit goofy, but I suspect it will draw foot traffic at the show.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kinda like riding my Harley. If I need to explain you wouldn't understand. >>

That says it pretty well. And I don't have a Harley. I like Canadian silver dollars. I don't know why, I just do. People like what they like.

Link to the set in the Registry. The set is imaged. Worst of the Worst
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm familiar with that set... a lot of them have stickers. >>

I hope none are gold.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

>>

I hope none are gold.
    Lance. >>

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    image indeed!

Eric
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And not a DMPL among them...image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it should be called the "finest of the worst." no? seems to me the worst of the worst wouldn't grade at all.

i like the idea of lowball sets. some lowball coins have a lot of character...more so that their high end counterparts. it depends on the coin though.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always scratched my head at the premiums paid for lowball coins. I would love to know how much this set cost to put together.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Brings enjoyment and fun to those that hunt for, collect and submit them though. image >>

A good friend of mine who used to post regularly here made a decent profit collecting/slabbing a low-ball set.
  • Options
    i paid a premium for this coin:

(looks way better in hand...sea green toning)

it's tied for the lowest graded for that date. it has a lot of character in hand...sure, it's not as nice as looking at a high end piece that's original...but it has it's own merits.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>To each his own in the coins they decide to collect...but I don't get it.

Never any interest in the low grades for me.<<<

+1
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    In addition to the Low Ball registry set of Morgan dollars, PCGS will also display a superb grade collection of U.S. Assay Commission medals dating back to 1860. Here's a link to the full PCGS announcement:

Click here for news release and photos

-donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get into lowballs either but can appreciate them from a distance...

David Kahn once had a 1795 50c in AG3 that was so spectacularly wholesome I must have looked at the images online a dozen times before it sold.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me a lot of history was saved from the melting pot. Where have these coins been? Whose pockets were they in? How were they spent? The imagination can run wild. Now they are preserved.
    I don't collect them but I like them.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect them, but I do appreciate the time and effort into it and I enjoy looking at them. Then again, I strictly collect circulated coins.

Haters gonna hate.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the lowball coins are cool -- it is a display of coins that served commerce to their fullest ability!
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    Before you judge the set, understand this was put together by a disabled Vet with a spinal cord injury.

He needed a hobby to consume his time and at one time had a grading set of 1889-CC Morgans complete up to MS-63.

He sold those off and started doing the lowball sets.

To the CAC question, most of his coins are CAC stickered.

While this type of collecting does not appeal to most, not many can claim 97 of 97 top pop coins in their set. His feat will not be duplicated unless someone buys his set whole in the future and finds a coin to improve the score.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Phew! When I saw the title of this thread I thought the OP was on his way to getting banned from this Forum. >>

Sure. Shoot the messenger. image

<< <i>I think whatever gives someone pleasure in coin collecting should be encouraged. >>

I just don't understand the "Since I don't collect it, it's a waste of time" attitude. It's one thing not to care, but to deride it? Why?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theoretically, with enough time and patience, anyone could duplicate this set by taking higher graded coins and just wearing them down over time. I know people on this forum carrying AG coins in their pockets right now trying to wear them down just a bit more for a lower grade! Might take many many years to duplicate this set, but it's certainly possible. Can't really say the same about high grade sets image
  • Options
    The work that went into these sets is amazing and well worth admiration even if you do not like the sets.
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977

<< <i>Theoretically, with enough time and patience, anyone could duplicate this set by taking higher graded coins and just wearing them down over time. I know people on this forum carrying AG coins in their pockets right now trying to wear them down just a bit more for a lower grade! Might take many many years to duplicate this set, but it's certainly possible. Can't really say the same about high grade sets image >>

Theoretically, you could say the same for high grade sets. Look at the same 97 Morgan set on the High end. Jack Lee was passed by California. California was passed by Coronet. None of those major sets have had all top pop coins for all 97 coins. But theoretically you could get all 97 top pop coins with money and time. Time probably being the hardest thing to overcome.

A majority of the Sourdough coins were found and graded by sourdough. Of course he has help along the way. One thing about this set, while more judgment than fact, each coin is the worst gradable coin for that year and mint. When an even worse example comes along, he replaces his coin with the worst one.

Until someone tries to get a Poor 01 grade, they will not fully appreciate how hard it really is to get that grade. Most coins that worn would be graded damaged or some other genuine identifier by PCGS.

To each their own. You may not like the set, but do not discount how hard it is to get all top pop coins in the registry. Whether top or bottom of the grade spectrum, this set is 100% top pop. Show me another set that is 100% top pop that is not modern. Good luck finding one.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the Body Bag Registry set of modern Beijing Counterfeits. I have a real interest in $3.99 German
    Silver Morgans.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Theoretically, with enough time and patience, anyone could duplicate this set by taking higher graded coins and just wearing them down over time. I know people on this forum carrying AG coins in their pockets right now trying to wear them down just a bit more for a lower grade! Might take many many years to duplicate this set, but it's certainly possible. Can't really say the same about high grade sets image >>

Theoretically, you could say the same for high grade sets. Look at the same 97 Morgan set on the High end. Jack Lee was passed by California. California was passed by Coronet. None of those major sets have had all top pop coins for all 97 coins. But theoretically you could get all 97 top pop coins with money and time. Time probably being the hardest thing to overcome.

A majority of the Sourdough coins were found and graded by sourdough. Of course he has help along the way. One thing about this set, while more judgment than fact, each coin is the worst gradable coin for that year and mint. When an even worse example comes along, he replaces his coin with the worst one.

Until someone tries to get a Poor 01 grade, they will not fully appreciate how hard it really is to get that grade. Most coins that worn would be graded damaged or some other genuine identifier by PCGS.

To each their own. You may not like the set, but do not discount how hard it is to get all top pop coins in the registry. Whether top or bottom of the grade spectrum, this set is 100% top pop. Show me another set that is 100% top pop that is not modern. Good luck finding one. >>

I certainly wasn't intending to discount the work that went into the set or the coolness of it. I will certainly check it out when it's on display. Of course people can duplicate the high grade sets with tons of money and if they can buy the current top pop examples when they are available.

I have had several coins graded Poor 01 and yes it is very difficult to get the grading company to assign that grade and not find problems worthy of a GEN holder. Even impossible to get a grade that low for some series as you really can't wear down some coins that far and still tell if they did or did not have a mint mark. You'll probably never see a Poor 01 1909 $5 Indian as you'd never know if it were a P, D, O or S mint. With Morgan Dollars the mintmark is protected and away from the rims just enough to where you can do the full series that low.

But the fact remains that one can certainly make their own Poor 1 coins from higher graded examples that cost relatively little. Never implied it was easy, but it is possible.
  • Options

while i agree with you in theory, it would take a long time to get one that looks like this:

i don't think one could start with an AG and get it to PO *with this patina* anytime soon.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the worst ones already made their trips to the smelter in 1979-1980 and 2011. It's surprisingly that many survived. image

I doubt if that many of these are the worst known. There's a lot of low grade circ coins out in the world that never see the light of day. A gold CAC sticker on your PO-01 would be reason to pull your hair out....lol.

While I think they're cool too, I don't intend to pay huge premiums for the honor of buying them. But if I can snag them for AG/Fair money I usually do it. I rescued a rare 1843-0 Lg 0 quarter in "weak AG to Fair" from the smelter on one of my last visits to the coin shop. What were the odds it was a 43-0 let alone a large O variety. Wholesome coin too. But it's not a PO-1. Paid $8 as I recall.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.

Just a totally dumb idea for the collector.

Genius move for the grading company.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who never look at the left side of Pop Reports are clueless about Morgan dollar rarity. In PCGS MS67, 1881-CCs, 1885-CCs and 1903-Os are silly widgets (pops of 164, 65, and 70). In Poor-01 their pops are 3, 1, and 1. That's a grand total of five coins. Now guess what the 1893-S population is in MS65 and up. Go ahead, guess.

It's six.

People who have never tried to get a Poor-01 grade at PCGS are profoundly clueless about how hard it is. Writing a big check for a high grade coin may hurt, but tying to find a Poor-01 candidate to send in is torture.

People who think you can pocket-wear a Morgan down to Poor-01 have no clue how funny they are. Put one in your pocket now and get back to me in 2020 with an update on how it's going. I wish you well!

People who demean anyone for their choice of collecting pursuits are... well, I don't want to be kicked off this site.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I find it ridiculous that anyone would certify those coins in that grade. I fault the TPGs and especially the author of the "Mercenaries Guide to the Rare Coin Market". Those grading fees are just a waste of money.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I would like to point out is that a lot of lowball collectors do not get their coins graded/slabbed and at least for me, the premiums I pay are typically very slight at most or I just move on.

And it is a lot of fun to be able to physically handle your coins any old which way you want.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Phew! When I saw the title of this thread I thought the OP was on his way to getting banned from this Forum.

I think whatever gives someone pleasure in coin collecting should be encouraged. >>

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People who never look at the left side of Pop Reports are clueless about Morgan dollar rarity. In PCGS MS67, 1881-CCs, 1885-CCs and 1903-Os are silly widgets (pops of 164, 65, and 70). In Poor-01 their pops are 3, 1, and 1. That's a grand total of five coins. Now guess what the 1893-S population is in MS65 and up. Go ahead, guess.

It's six.

People who have never tried to get a Poor-01 grade at PCGS are profoundly clueless about how hard it is. Writing a big check for a high grade coin may hurt, but tying to find a Poor-01 candidate to send in is torture.

People who think you can pocket-wear a Morgan down to Poor-01 have no clue how funny they are. Put one in your pocket now and get back to me in 2020 with an update on how it's going. I wish you well!

People who demean anyone for their choice of collecting pursuits are... well, I don't want to be kicked off this site. >>

What you're missing is that a huge amount of gem Morgan silver dollars have been sent in to the TPG's for grading. Probably over half the MS67's in existence are now in slabs. How many Poor Morgan silver dollars do you think are still sitting out there raw and never tried? It's never been cost effective to slab them (these are the ones not yet melted over the past 40 years). I'd bet not 1 owner out of 100 (or 1,000) has any clue that their massively worn Morgan put away back during WW2 and/or handed down to them is actually a potential low ball set "rarity." One difference in those silly MS67 1885-c "widgets" is that you can't go out and make very more of them. Probably not even 30 more. Yet how many circ or MS61-MS63 1885-cc dollar are candidates for the low ball set should the price of P-01 examples ever happen to exceed the value of a BU coin? There's no technology out there that could speed up the wear on one of these to only a few hours or days...and then tone it down in a short period of time?

While the PO-1 pops are obscenely low, that could also be a reflection of low demand and lack of profit potential. How many Morgan dollar set collectors want a PO-1 1893-s in their set rather than a Fine-12 and then also have to pay more for the slug? Not many I would think. "Hard to do" doesn't necessarily mean "in high demand" or "with high value." While I do applaud and treasure the search, I don't think they should ever be worth more than say a Good example. I've seen this same logic used by people with Good-XF low mintage seated halves and quarters of 1879-1890. While those coins are indeed rarer than AU's and Uncs (and proofs) which were hoarded, the circs will for the most part never be worth more than a typical MS61 coin. I'd imagine an 1886 quarter in PO-1 to AG is quite rare. I'll still take a full rimmed good in its place though. I guess for an inexpensive type coin like a 1826 CBH or 1843 25c in PO-01 can have its allure in a low ball type set. I'm not buying the allure of a PO-1 1893-s dollar or 1815/2 half though. If that were the case, Vermeulle, Eliasberg, James Stack, the Norwebs, Wayne Miller, Monsterman, and others all went after the wrong 1893-s Morgan widgets. I am pretty sure than none of them had a PO-1 1893-s. But the buffing wheel is close at hand.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file