Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did Gallery Mint make all its "coins" out of original metal content?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Saw this coin and got to wondering...

Could not find much online, but saw an old auction listing that stated those offered were gold, and also saw this. So does this mean it's solid gold? This one is listed at .91oz...apparently originals only weighed 17.5 grams.

Figured there would be more info online, but maybe I was looking in the wrong spots. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gallery Mint made "exact" replicas of the early Mint products. The metal content was the same as was (as best as could be determined) the engraving and manufacturing processes. The Eagles were NOT 0.91 oz, but 0.916 fine (91.6% gold or 22 karat).

Here is Verne Walrafen's site about all things Ron Landis and Gallery Mint Museum.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    The "Wright Quarter" patterns, Judd -13, were struck in white metal. The Gallery mint replicas of these were struck in silver and copper, not the original metal.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gallery Mint made "exact" replicas of the early Mint products. The metal content was the same as was (as best as could be determined) the engraving and manufacturing processes. The Eagles were NOT 0.91 oz, but 0.916 fine (91.6% gold or 22 karat).

Here is Verne Walrafen's site about all things Ron Landis and Gallery Mint Museum. >>

Thank you!

So This eBay listing isn't correct...
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Gallery Mint Museum 1796 eagles debuted in June 1998 for $325 proof and $270 uncirculated. Weight: 17.5 grams, Fineness: 22k (.9167 fine gold, balance silver/copper alloy), Diameter: 33mm, Edge: Reeded, Proof mintage: 300.
    Also, the Wright Pattern quarter designs by the Gallery Mint Museum included uniface pewter splashers (Judd 13-14) and copper, which is Judd-12. I don't recall them making one in silver at all. Generally, they were historical reproductions, meaning designed in a similar fashion and style, minted on the appropriate style presses, and of the same fineness, weight and size as the originals.
  • Options

<< <i>So This eBay listing isn't correct... >>

Off the mark by a 78% increase in weight.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, items specifics state the weight is 17.5 Grams. Perhaps someone that really wants it could mention that to the seller in an offer!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gallery Mint made some very nice products... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "Wright Quarter" patterns, Judd -13, were struck in white metal. The Gallery mint replicas of these were struck in silver and copper, not the original metal. >>

I don't blame them for avoiding the white metal. As a collector of 19th political tokens, I try to avoid or cross over to copper or brass pieces when white metal pieces are part of the mix. The stuff is soft and sometimes unstable.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>LOL, items specifics state the weight is 17.5 Grams. Perhaps someone that really wants it could mention that to the seller in an offer! >>

Well, you have an issue price in 1998-99 of $325-340 with a mintage of 300. The intrinsic gold value is now double the issue price at $680. The seller is apparently taking prices somewhat below double that. I don't think $1K is too high of a value for that. I would like a better look at it for that price.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how are these perceived as collectable and the ones made in back alleys are not? i'm genuinely asking.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    In Coin World this week, 7-14-14, page 5, is the announcement that Monaco is going to create replicas of the Brasher Doubloon and sell them for "less that $2000."

How are these perceived as collectable and the ones made in back alleys are not? Good Question!
  • Options
    Monaco has used Ron Landis' talents on a few repro designs over the years.
    Now I understand why he was so excited to travel to see a historical rarity for study several months back. I wonder how the new Brasher design will compare with his earlier one (which is still available from Tim Grat's Eureka Springs mint)?
    Coin World article
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    how are these perceived as collectable and the ones made in back alleys are not? i'm genuinely asking.
    . >>

All of the Gallery Mint products had the word "COPY" punched in the design, usually on the reverse, as prescribed by law. Since that requirement of the Hobby Protection Act was met, these pieces were perfectly legal to sell and own.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    made with similar alloy and methods as the originals. Not a bad way to hold silver at a modest premium to melt, respect for these hand made, pre CAD replicas could someday increase and the bullion content puts a floor under the value

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file