Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint Survey

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
I received a prompt for a survey regarding my purchases from the US Mint.

It gave me the opportunity to let someone know of how dissatisfied I was with the latest antics of our Treasury Department. Specifically the Over the Counter Sales of products on the day they are released and the impacts it has for the online ordering system.

When asked why I would not be referring customers to the US Mint, I responded with:

"The current trend of the United States Mint is to sell coins over the counter at National Coin Shows on the day that the product(s) is/are released. In doing this, these products quickly sell out thereby pushing online orders into backordered status. Unless customers travel to these coin shows, they can expect their orders to be delayed by months. My recommendation would be to purchase the coins in the after market for timely delivery since it is obvious at this point that, unless something changes, the US Mint is not treating their customers in a fair and equal fashion but instead are subsidizing Coin Dealers who employ shills to stand in line at Major Coin Shows to corner the market on certain US Mint products. This leaves the potential customer with the choice of risking NOT receiving an item vs having to pay heavily inflated after market prices. Additionally, with the exception of products that contain silver, most US Mint Annual Sets lose money in the after market."

When asked about the "Reusable US Mint Bag, I explained my "Extremely Dissatisfied" response with:

"Are you serious? You actually want folks to walk around with a bag that advertises that they are coin collectors and risk the possibility of burglary or home invasion? Why not sell T-Shirts that say “Follow me Home and Rob me because I collect Coins”?

The uselessness of a reusable US Mint bag simply cannot be expressed. Free or Not. And to be perfectly honest, I would have rather received my US Mint order(s) instead of a bag which ended up in the trash.

Perhaps my sentiments would be different had the bag been manufactured "in the United States of America" by "American workers" instead of being manufactured in Viet Nam by underpaid workers AND had the bag been less conspicuous regarding its origins. This is the United States Mint, a Federally subsidized arm of the United States Government which is supported by United States Taxpayer Dollars yet they cannot find the means to order or purchase products manufactured in the USA by United States workers? Needless to say, I am shocked."

Yes, these reusable bags were manufactured in Viet Nam and just maybe, one voice can be heard.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on, right on, right on !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    you are just a debbie downer today
  • Options

<< <i>you are just a debbie downer today >>

Oh I know it!

That freaking survey set the tone coupled with the fact that I STILL don't have those silly HOF Unc Half Dollars!

I am totally undecided on the Kennedy Gold Coin. I mean, I want one but I think I'll have to fly to Chicago to even get one!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Are you serious? You actually want folks to walk around with a bag that advertises that they are coin collectors and risk the possibility of burglary or home invasion? Why not sell T-Shirts that say “Follow me Home and Rob me because I collect Coins”? >>

Good for you!!!

I love that response. imageimage

Maybe some of the dumb clucks at the mint will read that and know that some of us a smart enough not run around with tie clips that read, "I collect coins." And I yes I've seen those on the chests of some real "old fogies."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what you said.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee - I agree with every thing you said to the mint. I ordered a silver proof HOF coin on-line the first day they went on sale for my failing father-in-law hoping to give it to him for fathers day. Not only has the coin still not come but we lost him to cancer last week. Our government is very disappointing. -Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I am one hundred percent in agreement. Well Done!
  • Options
    Same here, gave them the feedback they need to correct their issues and stop creating all of this stupid stuff they make.

And told them what to do with their bags image
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same survey. Your points were said a lot better than I did. I also hit them up on not using USPS flat rate shipping.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone at the mint going to actually read a reply to a computer survey?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Lee - I agree with every thing you said to the mint. I ordered a silver proof HOF coin on-line the first day they went on sale for my failing father-in-law hoping to give it to him for fathers day. Not only has the coin still not come but we lost him to cancer last week. Our government is very disappointing. -Bob >>

I cannot begin to imagine the loss you must feel.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone at the mint going to actually read a reply to a computer survey?

image >>

The survey is conducted by a third party which will compile the results and report back to the US Mint. I need to author a letter to Coin World. We know they read that one.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I answered the Mint's surveys in the past. I have never seen any impact to their business model. Nothing but an exercise... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lee
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this,
    about the black Mint bags, but they are
    really kinda cheap plastic on the outside;
    they don't 'work' as well as pure canvas
    bags, imo, - and we have to use those
    now in L.A.

And I do agree completely about the
    security issue - I can't even give 'em
    to family members for the same reason!

(I don't want my 92 year-old mother
    walking out of the grocery store with
    THAT bag!)
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file