Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double Dot Found on 1965 Cent

Comments

• Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, have never heard of it. Maybe the over 65 crowd?
  • Options
    Nope but that is the Milwaukee journal the newspaper where I live...
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    ....and here I've been throwing '65s in the trash for years.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I guess the smart move was selling them for $20+ while the dealer was buying.
    I've never heard of them, the interest must have dropped off the screen.
    $20+ was still a good size chunk of change in 65.
    Ed
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not over 65 (close, though) but I remember the ads in Coin World back then as a teenager. That was the year, 1965, that the mint dropped mint marks from the coinage to prevent hoarding by all of the "evil coin collectors" of that era. That's the main reason I never voted for Eva Adams for any ANA office but that's another story.

Anyway, as the article says, a group of these "double dot" coins was found in the Kansas City area which presumably meant they were minted at the Denver facility. A lot of dealer hype followed promoting these coins as "1965-D cents" - remember, "hole plugging" was still in vogue back then. The mania didn't last very long although some dealers made decent money off these things and, today, the coin is just a curiosity.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the only "dot" coin in my collection........ image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, have never heard of it. Maybe the over 65 crowd? >>

Yes, I'm 65, and I've heard of it. Back in 1965, when the mint removed all of the mint marks from coins, it was said that this piece was minted at the Denver mint. It was marketed as a piece to fill the "1965-D" cent hole in your collection. It worked for a while, but has been forgotten for well over 40 years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clearly remember the 1965 double dot.

It was promoted as a way to fill the 1965 D slot in Whitman albums

I looked for ages, and finally found one back then.

No idea where it is today.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I was into collecting back in 65 and remember the article in the KC Star. I used to get my coins at TG&Y coin dept. I brought several rolls of pennies and found 10 of the double dot cents. I traded a few away but still have 4 right out of the roll so I would guess they are in uncirculated condition.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Thread Alert

Extracted the article from the OP:

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the hype. Don't think I ever saw one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen one either.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wnicholson....Welcome aboard....How about a picture of your double dot cent...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 5:19PM

I vaguely recall something about that, just after the hype over the 64 pointed tail dime hype. At about that time, everyone was looking for the next 55 doubled die mint error or 1960 small date Lincoln.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'd like to see one of these too

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file