Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is Your #1 Question About the Saddle Ridge Hoard ?

FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
There are so many unanswered questions regarding the Saddle Ridge Hoard. What we wouldn't give to have the answers
to all the unanswered questions. For me, right now I'd really like to know the identity of the person who offered to pay $40
over spot for those Coins. Yeah, no kidding, tell me who it was.

Anyone else got a #1 question they'd like an answer to.

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    #1 question for me is........ why all the fuss?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#1 question for me is........ why all the fuss? >>

+1 and why are there so many threads (not posts). the shipwreck finds blow this out of the water imo but the info on those seems to be kinda sparse by comparison. maybe i need to search the archives better?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why people would pay such enormous premiums to buy coins which are otherwise available at lower prices.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I think the popular thought is that these are overpriced
    For many of them -not so
    1889-s ms63 coins are right at auction prices
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    Number one question would have to be who SHOULD these coins legally belong to? As in, who buried them there in the first place; and assuming they were not stolen, does that person have heirs?

Number two question is how was question number one blown over so quickly and successfully by the main dealer (Kagen?) without intervention by Justice, the heirs of prior land owners, or the IRS?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I think my number one question would be, why Amazon rather than a more established venue? How did Amazon even enter the picture on this one?
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the popular thought is that these are overpriced
    For many of them -not so
    1889-s ms63 coins are right at auction prices >>

But the population for 89-S in 63 just went up by over 50%.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 for me - where's my coin?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's to stop them from adding a couple dozen or more coins to the hoard that were just sitting around?

I know, always a negative and conspiring attitude, but money is always a motive.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like a list of the coin details, cert numbers, grades for those sold on Amazon and Kagin's, and the list prices for those sold on Amazon.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>#1 question for me is........ why all the fuss? >>

+1 and why are there so many threads (not posts). the shipwreck finds blow this out of the water imo but the info on those seems to be kinda sparse by comparison. maybe i need to search the archives better?
    . >>

In terms of value, this is true, however, these shipwrecks are a part of history and most have documentation defining the event with approximate locations based upon naval and historic records.

The Saddle Ridge Hoard, on the other hand, was a completely accidental find "on someone's home property".
    Of course, I'm sure there are coffee cans of silver buried somewhere or another but 8 cans of $20 gold pieces?

Personally, I think the significance of finding a 10 million dollar stash of coins in your yard has a certain air of holey shamoley attached to it.

Now, the question that I have is "What City or Township does this couple live near in Gold Country?" I have quite a few neighbors on 10, 20 and 30 acre parcels and since I live within 8 miles of Coloma, it would be fairly cool to find out that this find was close to Cool, California.

Yep, yep, yep!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Would you pay a large premium for a "transformed" "restored" shipwreck coin from an unknown wreck of unknown origin sunk in an unknown location for unknown reasons with unknown results? What kind of story is that?

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the popular thought is that these are overpriced
    For many of them -not so
    1889-s ms63 coins are right at auction prices >>

But the population for 89-S in 63 just went up by over 50%. >>

Of course this isn't the 1st time something like this has occurred.

I recall back around 2008 when the population of 1977 MS66 Eisenhower Dollars (typically a difficult year) doubled while the more difficult MS68 grade of the same coin, also doubled.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My #1 question is...why haven't I won the California Lotto's Fantasy 5 yet so I can be a player for a couple of these baby's? image

Erik
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is - Why would anyone pay a premium for these coins? After all, it is the coin that matters, and the fact that it was buried for a while is meaningless, at least to me. I have found many buried coins while metal detecting...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Who bought the 1869-S coins, and are they nice?
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's to stop them from adding a couple dozen or more coins to the hoard that were just sitting around?

I know, always a negative and conspiring attitude, but money is always a motive. >>

image Now there's something to ponder.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I really care about is "How the heck did they get there?"
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why this is called a Hoard? Isn't a hoard a collection that a named someone owned and had stashed and then found? They built these coins up with a typical wooden box with a .10 name plate and booklet that says What? "Hoard found in tin cans buried by a tree!!" The only history that can even be identified by these coins are the dates. Nothing else! It wouldn't surprise me that 5 years down the road that anyone even remembers Saddle Ridge Hoard.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the coins suddenly be considered stolen property if the rightful owner of the hoard is discovered at some future point? If so, will the finders of the hoard, Amazon, Kagin's, or the new owners of the coins be held responsible for paying back the rightful owner(s)?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish people with money to burn like that would just buy it at a cheaper price and donate what was not spent on it to a shelter or food pantry instead. go figure.
  • Options

<< <i>i wish people with money to burn like that would just buy it at a cheaper price and donate what was not spent on it to a shelter or food pantry instead. go figure. >>

Don't I recal that " John and Mary " were going to help their neighbors with their Gold money? And most importantly they will be
    helping themselves. Everyone is coming out a winner on this one.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody really know what time it is ?

~chicago~ >>

25 or 6 to 4

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the story on how they ended up buried there

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>Does anybody really know what time it is ?

~chicago~ >>

Does anybody really care? Oh no-o-o-o

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the story on how they ended up buried there >>

My #2 question is if there is another nearby hoard. If I had thousands gold coins to stash, I would split it up. Maybe the original land owner had a big ranch or something and split up their gold so maybe there are more cans on some adjacent land.
    Ed
  • Options

TTTT

Well here it is over 5 years AFTER the discovery of the Saddle Ridge Hoard. Has any information come out that most STILL don't know about?

I'd still like to own a hi-grade 1800's $20 Liberty. How are values on these S.R. Coins holding up?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to know why they told anyone and made it all public.

bob :)
    PS: I know of a miner (in the early 1900's) that stashed his gold/silver on his claim. When visiting a nearby town he was murdered. The stash is still there most likely. I've searched and will continue to do so as I can. I eliminated his cabin and his mine (I think so on the mine). So, it's buried above ground somewhere....
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not interested in having one of those coins five years ago, and still not interested. I sure would like to find some gold coins though.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can anyone believe the Saddle Ridge coins were not stolen from the SF mint?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I’m not a dingbat?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can anyone believe the government wouldn't have confiscated the coins if they thought they were stolen from the SF mint?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 5:52PM

I wonder how much the thing finally realized. How much did owners get out of it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 question for me is why i can't be lucky enough to find a hoard. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

1 question for me is why i can't be lucky enough to find a hoard. :D

Do you search?

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question: What does it feel like - emotions, excitement, wonder, when a person actually finds a buried treasure on land they own?

To find an old can of buried gold coins, does it seem like you are the luckiest person in the world? Not so much that what you have found has a high dollar value, but what you found is so rare that it has happened to only a few people in the history of the world.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:

How would they have been stolen? Secondly, living in the very city where gold coins were actually minted and would have been available at banks and in daily commerce fresh out of the mint, why would it be so hard to believe that they could not have been acquired by legal means?

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 8:53PM

If the Saddle Ridge coins were owned by a collector, that collector's heirs deserve to lose any claim on the coins discovered. Who would bury their collection so carelessly? The burial job was hastily done, indicating theft.

Considering what was found and where it was found, to so casually rule out a theft from the SF mint is folly.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently read an article hypothesizing that the hoard could have been accumulated over many years by a miser. I don’t want to misquote the details, but it seemed plausible.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a related note, there’s currently an 1865-s from the hoard on sale rn AU details- cleaning on eBay. That’s puzzling. How did it come to be cleaned? Is it from botched conservation? Was it cleaned when the hoard was assembled?

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

My #1 question would be, what did the coffee cans that they were in sell for???

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who were the previous land owners of the site where the coins were found? There should be decent records, but the location isn’t publicly known.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    On a related note, there’s currently an 1865-s from the hoard on sale rn AU details- cleaning on eBay. That’s puzzling. How did it come to be cleaned? Is it from botched conservation? Was it cleaned when the hoard was assembled?

I read that after the couple found the coins they attempted to clean some of them. Not sure how many and what made them stop cleaning the coins.
    There were quite a few detailed coins that were slabbed.

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@mr1874 said:

How would they have been stolen? Secondly, living in the very city where gold coins were actually minted and would have been available at banks and in daily commerce fresh out of the mint, why would it be so hard to believe that they could not have been acquired by legal means?

In 1901 at the San Fransisco mint $30,000 in coins went mysteriously missing. The chief clerk, Walter Dimmick, was convicted of the crime under circumstantial evidence. The coins were never recovered. Whether the Saddle Ridge coins were those coins or not, we can only leave up to our imagination. News articles after the Saddle Ridge discovery played it up to make it sound like they were obviously the same coins. The only person(s?) who would actually know are long dead. It's a fantastic tale though.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the revival. Owning one of these is pretty cool as their burial gave us a time capsule. Likewise I think it would be cool to find the coins Captain Cook’s men buried at Point Resolution at the entrance to Cook Inlet in Alaska.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    If the Saddle Ridge coins were owned by a collector, that collector's heirs deserve to lose any claim on the coins discovered. Who would bury their collection so carelessly? The burial job was hastily done, indicating theft.

Considering what was found and where it was found, to so casually rule out a theft from the SF mint is folly.

To so casually rule out the possibility that the coins were obtained legally is also folly.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

How difficult would it be to completely fake a hoard/find?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to know how much hype is going to be on this group of coins in 10 years, I already see several examples selling for way less than when they were sold the first time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file