Home Precious Metals
Options

California Chrome......Yea or Neigh?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
True champ or soon to be forgotten nag?

I am rooting for him as his second trainer is Alan Sherman!

Don't think though that Secretariat needed a nasal strip to win the Belmont. image

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if I get it in the pool at the bar. I got blown out on the Derby pool, sigh.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Good idea folks.....one week without a new thread. let's see how it works out."

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Good idea folks.....one week without a new thread. let's see how it works out."

image >>

but, but..He's trying to hit 10k posts by his 1st Anniv. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Good idea folks.....one week without a new thread. let's see how it works out."

image >>

but, but..He's trying to hit 10k posts by his 1st Anniv. image >>

....but wait till you see the giveaway coin! image
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

but, but..He's trying to hit 10k posts by his 1st Anniv. image >>

Posts or new threads started? I would think he is gobbling bandwidth at blinding speedimage

CC looked spent at end of Preakness. I play on Nick Zito at Belmont any time he has horses thereimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been quite awhile since there was a horse this exciting. Cali Chrome has that underdog mantra, his owners are just really likable too. I hope that Seattle Slew's long lasting Triple Crown record will fall very soon, and I hope Cali does it.

Might just be another really good horse movie in the works!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *California

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>*California >>

Maybe California Chromium would have been a better name.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Kalifornia these days.

Holy crap, I just realized MG has not even been here a year, and all those posts? LOL image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>Kalifornia these days.

Holy crap, I just realized MG has not even been here a year, and all those posts? LOL image >>

Trying to get in to Guinness Book of world Stouts!
  • Options
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>*California >>

Maybe California Chromium would have been a better name. >>

California Chronic ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a triple crown winner but have my doubts. Two things bother me (or would if
    I owned this horse). One is that it is a LONG race. Second is that it is earlier in the day. I know
    that my horses liked routines and hated to be exercised at a different time of day. Like people,
    they like ruts too!

Of course I'd like to see CC win (pun intended).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    image CHROME
    Condor
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While CC has potential (I like those initials - being a coin collector)....The horse was definitely tired at the end of the Preakness.... the mile and a half could definitely be too much. Really good horse and interesting owners.... would like to see it win the Crown.... a lot depends on training though. Will definitely be watching....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seattle Slew (SS) is the first & last horse with repeating initials to 3-peat. in Seventy-Seven. '77

I say "yes"… But I won't bet with my heart or any of my "C C" coins. .

• Options
    Cheering for the old time trainer and his horse.

I see a fade though in the long Belmont stretch.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seattle Slew (SS) is the first & last horse with repeating initials to 3-peat. in Seventy-Seven. '77

I say "yes"… But I won't bet with my heart or any of my "C C" coins. . >>

Seattle Slew is one of the great-great grandfathers of California Chrome. Of course I'm rooting for him, have watched Jockey Victor Espinoza ride many a time at Del Mar.

Wicked Strong ridden by Maragh was at 6-1 last I looked and could be a strong contender at this distance race. His muther was a mudder. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seattle Slew (SS) is the first & last horse with repeating initials to 3-peat. in Seventy-Seven. '77

I say "yes"… But I won't bet with my heart or any of my "C C" coins. . >>

Seattle Slew is one of the great-great grandfathers of California Chrome. Of course I'm rooting for him, have watched Jockey Victor Espinoza ride many a time at Del Mar.

Wicked Strong ridden by Maragh was at 6-1 last I looked and could be a strong contender at this distance race. His muther was a mudder. image >>

I go to Del mar once a year, great venue, expensive drinks... I actually go surfing there.
  • Options
    neigh...............
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    C'mon CC !!!
  • Options
    Sorry to see CC get beat.

The owner's rant though was uncalled for.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry to see CC get beat.

The owner's rant though was uncalled for. >>

Yeah, but was there smoe truth there?
  • Options

<< <i>

Yeah, but was there smoe truth there? >>

We can always make it easier to crown champions. Maybe make it the Double Crown!

My second home was the racetrack in the 1970's. The Standardbreds raced at the highest level every 7 days. The Grand Circuit came through town twice a year. These were the best trotters and pacers in the nation and they raced the mile each week. Not every two weeks or 3 weeks or 5 weeks at the thoroughbreds do. Never a complaint about race frequency from the owners, trainers or drivers.

Art Sherman had 21 days to prepare this horse for 150 seconds of racing. He also received special permission for the horse to use a breathing strip.

Nice horse but not the best today, at least over the mile and a half distance.

No excuse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah, but was there smoe truth there? >>

We can always make it easier to crown champions. Maybe make it the Double Crown!

My second home was the racetrack in the 1970's. The Standardbreds raced at the highest level every 7 days. The Grand Circuit came through town twice a year. These were the best trotters and pacers in the nation and they raced the mile each week. Not every two weeks or 3 weeks or 5 weeks at the thoroughbreds do. Never a complaint about race frequency from the owners, trainers or drivers.

Art Sherman had 21 days to prepare this horse for 150 seconds of racing. He also received special permission for the horse to use a breathing strip.

Nice horse but not the best today, at least over the mile and a half distance.

No excuse. >>

Okay, got it.

But he said every Triple Crown hopefully has been targeted in the last 20(?) years. Was there a rule change? Or just our grapes?
  • Options

<< <i>But he said every Triple Crown hopefully has been targeted in the last 20(?) years. Was there a rule change? Or just our grapes? >>

Do not know if there has been a rule change. The Preakness and Belmont have always been pretty wide open races.

The owner was just frustrated I suppose. We have all been there. Fortunately we don't have an audience of a billion pair of eyes!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it was the truth.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

But it was the truth. >>

That the winner of the race performed in a cowardly manner? How so?
  • Options
    ....and by the way, his horse tied for 4th, he didn't finish a close second to the cowardly winner.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But he said every Triple Crown hopefully has been targeted in the last 20(?) years. Was there a rule change? Or just our grapes? >>

Do not know if there has been a rule change. The Preakness and Belmont have always been pretty wide open races.

The owner was just frustrated I suppose. We have all been there. Fortunately we don't have an audience of a billion pair of eyes! >>

That's why we have alts and don't use our real name...er...nevermind. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe now we can get back to other non-PM discussions. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

But it was the truth. >>

That the winner of the race performed in a cowardly manner? How so? >>

"Cowardly" was an unfortunate use. Maybe he should be forced to sell his horse? Seems to be all the rage for rants.
  • Options
    Derry! Kentucky Derby trophy. image

""The trophy was supplied by Lemon & Son, a Louisville jeweller (and the oldest retail business in Louisville) from 1924 until 1999. From 1975 onwards, the trophy has been manufactured by the New England Sterling company, located in North Attleboro, Massachusetts.

The trophy, which is topped by an 18-karat gold horse and rider, includes horseshoe shaped handles, is 22 inches tall and weighs 56 ounces, excluding its jade base. Most of it is 14-karat gold; some components are 14-karat green gold.

To complete the trophy by April, construction begins during the fall of the previous year; the completed trophy takes approximately 2000 hours of labor. Typically 29 parts are combined into 19 components which comprise the trophy. Various construction techniques are used, including casting (the horse and rider that top the trophy), stamping and metal spinning.[3]

The trophy is believed to be the only solid gold trophy that is annually awarded the winner of a major American sporting event. As of 2008, its material raw value was $90,000.[4]"""
  • Options
    ....a bit of research is a good thing.

Medal Count and Wicked Strong were both in the Kentucky Derby. The first beat CC in the Belmont and the second tied him.

Even with the "cowardly" winner out of the race, CC is tied for second.

...oh yes, the race would have been different, but I doubt that the results would have been.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's the grift here?

You have to qualify for the Derby but not the other two races? If thats true then the owner is right I think.

There is a lot of money bet on a triple crown hopeful just because of that possibility , money that may not have been bet on california chrome without that narrative . It seems like it could be lucrative to torpedo the whole thing with a horse that has no way to win that.

where does horse racing fall on the spectrum of legitimacy? 100% above board, about even with wrestlemania , or somewhere in the middle?

• Options

<< <i>where does horse racing fall on the spectrum of legitimacy? 100% above board, about even with wrestlemania , or somewhere in the middle? >>

In my experience, fairly legit at the stakes racing level.

Lower levels it is as straight as Don Kings hair.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had CC in one of the pools on a total luck of the draw..........sigh, would have splurged on some surfNturf if it popped.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Chrome was not a fast horse. The competition was weak in the Derby and Preakness, but came out for the
    Belmont.

Chrome's time would not have won any Belmont in the last 50 years.

• Options

<< <i>Chrome was not a fast horse. The competition was weak in the Derby and Preakness, but came out for the
    Belmont.

Chrome's time would not have won any Belmont in the last 50 years. >>

Great point. A full five seconds behind the Belmont record.

This horse is more Mr. Ed, than Secretariat.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But it was the truth. >>

He also knew the field going into the race, so if he felt the deck was being stacked against him, he could have pulled his horse or betched about it then.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

But it was the truth. >>

He also knew the field going into the race, so if he felt the deck was being stacked against him,he could have pulled his horse or betched about it then. >>

People should just forget about the whole thing , its just a way to pry money out of bettors hands. Triple crown fairy tale part 27. These triple crown hopefuls are about as interesting as the downhill skier that comes in 15th after we sit through an hour long tearjerker about how motivated he is by his mom's cancer.

I tried to watch this race yesterday but the lead up was too ridiculous. 2 hours and 50 minutes of dreck for a 1 minute race followed by a 1 minute rant image

• Options
    I tried to watch this race yesterday but the lead up was too ridiculous. 2 hours and 50 minutes of dreck for a 1 minute race followed by a 1 minute rant.

Learned long ago to stay off the channel until ten minutes before post time.

Lock up raw is your friend.