Home U.S. Coin Forum

1938-42 Cameo Proof Jefferson Nickels

BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2022 5:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum
Coins in this time period rarely get the cameo designation. I have several that have contrast,
but not enough for the designation. Here is how many are currently available.

May 14, 2014
1938: 1
1939: 3 as Rev of 40
1940: 8
1941: 0
1942 T1: 1
1942 T2: 9 & 1 DCAM

1937 Buffalo: 13

I just threw in the Buffalo since there is only one year with any that graded as cameo.

1960-72 Deep Cameo Proof Jefferson Nickels
https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/920486/1960-72-deep-cameo-proof-jefferson-nickels#latest

1950’s Deep Cameo Proof Nickels
https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/223046/1950s-deep-cameo-proofs-a-follow-up-after-four-plus-years-and-not-much-has-changed-can-s#latest

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope some pix will be posted here, 'cause that's what I was hoping to see.

A CAM Buffalo nickel? Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

A CAM Buffalo nickel? Wow. >>

Yeah, that's what I said when I first bought the coin below.... WOW!!! Sold it last year to a very happy customer:

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised to see how few cameos there are for those early Jeffersons. Tiny, tiny numbers.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised to see how few cameos there are for those early Jeffersons. Tiny, tiny numbers.

after careful consideration it shouldn't be surprising at all. in fact, it makes sense to me when all the factors are taken into account.

the effort to strike a simple Proof coin in 1936 was a challenge to Mint employees after a 20 year hiatus firstly because no one had ever done it before. they not only had to familiarize themselves with the entire process, they then had to figure out how to perfect/replicate that process, something which actually took until the mid-1970's to do on a consistent basis. I would imagine that from a single pair of properly prepared dies and properly prepared planchets the Mint of the 1930's could expect perhaps 10 coins with appreciable Cameo contrast(this is conjecture on my part). add to that no special consideration for the packaging or long term storage and we get the small numbers. I have been waiting for nice DCAM's to show up for 15-20 years and it hasn't happened so I don't expect it ever will: in short, they almost certainly don't exist. the generation that would have initially owned them has passed and they never seemed to find their way into any of the major collections that have come up for sale.

this last point is sort of perplexing. as a group we are always ranting about how boring the Modern designs are and the fact that they are produced in such large numbers that it isn't worth paying them any attention. Cladking has driven this home for anyone who has been listening. I have tried to do my part, there are a few archived threads which attempt to document the slow pop growth of 1950's era DCAM coinage at a time when it was very lucrative to find/encapsulate/sell these coins(I notice the Baron has pulled it up!!). father time has a strange way of making us notice truth we have refused to acknowledge in the past, these coins are no exception.

but, I digress. we should probably get back to discussing baseball coins and other interesting topics of the day.image

imageimage
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 40 rev of 38 that on a good day the obverse might make cam, BUT forget the reverse image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Buffalo CAM is awesome..... Cheers, RickO
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think Jeffersons are difficult try Washington quarters. To my knowledge PCGS has never designated a cameo from that era.

jom
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you think Jeffersons are difficult try Washington quarters. To my knowledge PCGS has never designated a cameo from that era. >>

Agreed, I have never seen a 36-42 quarter in a PCGS cam holder (there may be none as I didn't check the pop reports). Why should that be if the die making processes were similar to the nickels? Planchets for the the silver coins are much softer than those for nickels, so one might expect some cameo quarters may be out there. I've been looking for cameos since about 1989 but never seen a single quarter that merits a cameo designation. This seems strange to me - if the same die processes were used, there should be many more cameo quarters than cameo nickels - just like the 1950-59 era.

In my experience, I have never actually had my hands on a 36-42 cameo nickel in the 25 years I have been hunting for them. I do own a few moderately contrasted examples but they will never get into a PCGS cam holder. I'll keep looking, but I doubt I will ever find one in the wild.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the scarcity and beauty of early cam proofs. I feel its not till 1953 when the mint can start making them in numbers so anything before that is a special coin IMHO.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 1941 green label PR67 holder that has nice contrast. I'm aware of a 1939 with similar contrast. I just don't think PCGS understands Jefferson nickels, one of the reason there are few designated cams. The other reason, collectors just sitting on them, keeping them in their collections although mine's for sale. /image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭
    This is one I bought a couple of years ago. It doesn't have a cameo designation though. PCGS PR67

illini420 that is a great buffalo!
    I just don't think PCGS understands Jefferson nickels

it has been discussed here before, there seems to be a mindset which views Silver frost as similar to Nickel frost.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver frost is different from nickel frost; and vice versa.

Finding any pre 1950 proof Jeferson with frosted devices and black watery fileds is very difficult. I have one raw nickel (1940) that has a a very light CAM look to it. It would never receive the desigation.

The points raised about 1936-1942 proof quarters is spot on. I have looked at these early proof quarters for more than 10 years now and have never seen one that would CAM. In fact, I have only seen one such quarter that had any frost on it at all. I saw a Capital Holder with 1936-1964 proof quarters in it at a Santa Clara show many years ago. I asked the dealer if I could look at it. He said yes and handed it over. To my surprise, the 1942 quarter actually had some light frost on the obverse only and had nicely mirrored deep fields. The obverse had a CAM look to it, due to the contrast between the mirrored fields and the lightly frosted devices. The reverse was brilliant only. I looked long and hard at the quarter and was amazed to see any frost on it at all. I mentioned it to the dealer and told him that I had never, ever, seen an early proof Washington quarter with any frost on the devices. I told him that his 1942 quarter was the first and only one I had ever seen and that I thought that the coin was very unusual and a keeper. He listened intently, lloked at the coin and then took the Capital Holder back. If it had been for sale as a raw single, I would have snapped it up, but I could not see buying the entire run of 1936-1964 quarters,

Maybe one day I will see that holder again and see the coin again.

Here is the 1942 PR66DCAM. It is in "The BNE Collection".
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Sweet coins !!!!
    Here's a 1938 Proof Jefferson w/ lots of cameo I picked up recently... probably even close to deep cameo image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the 1942 PR66DCAM. It is in "The BNE Collection".
    image >>

That one's awesome.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 37 Buff is WAAAAAAAAY over the top beautiful !!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A CAM Buffalo nickel? Wow. >>

Yeah, that's what I said when I first bought the coin below.... WOW!!! Sold it last year to a very happy customer:

image >>

a wicked nice coin image
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one GORGEOUS Buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    I would very much like to make the attempt to capture every angle of frost from a proof Buffalo nickel into one picture. I think I have the setup to do that. Anyone can reference the quality of the pictures of my early Jefferson proofs in my collection. But it won't be cheap.

Leo image

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is interesting that 39 and 40 are terrible years to find true cameos for Lincolns, while they seem to be good years for Jeffs.
    Doug
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is interesting that 39 (decent) and 40 are terrible years to find true cameos for Lincolns, while they seem to be good years for Jeffs. >>

Doug

<< <i>I would very much like to make the attempt to capture every angle of frost from a proof Buffalo nickel into one picture. >>

It was really hard to get a great shot of the coin as it is so flashy... I did a video of the coin to better show it off as a single photo just doesn't really do it.

Link to YouTube Video of PR67CAM Buffalo Nickel (may need to change settings to HD resolution)

• coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Keets, if you were complaining about that superbird and cameo, how bout that nickel you posted!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>I would very much like to make the attempt to capture every angle of frost from a proof Buffalo nickel into one picture. >>

It was really hard to get a great shot of the coin as it is so flashy... I did a video of the coin to better show it off as a single photo just doesn't really do it.

Link to YouTube Video of PR67CAM Buffalo Nickel (may need to change settings to HD resolution)

image >>

I watched your PR67CAM Buffalo Nickel video. That is an amazing Buffalo!
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I watched your PR67CAM Buffalo Nickel video. That is an amazing Buffalo! >>

+1

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    any denomination designated in those years 36 to 42 truly are rarities

you bet that buffalo is beyond amazing
    wow
    dcam got assigned on a 42 jefferson...jaw dropping

i don't think i've ever seen a 36 cam though...
    36 looked like the trying year as keets referenced
    struck me odd...buffalo proof in 38' wasn't offered
    had to be one of the mints most trying series designs...in nickel of all base metals

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The video really shows the true beauty of that proof Buffalo. Thanks for posting it!
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW-the still picture ain't bad either!
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Rock on you early Jefferson CAM'er and DCAM'er collectors!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous nickels folks, including he Buffalo.

I have a 1942 proof nickel that has a slight CAM appearance, with lightly frosted devices, mirrored fields and a light blue tone to it. Very eye appealing. It would never get a CAM designation, but it does have the CAM look.

In addition to the 1938-1942 Jeffersons, any CAM or DCAM Jeffersons from 1950-1959 very attractive coins that are hard to find in the wild. Even the 1960-1969 proof and SMS CAM and DCAM Jeffersons are a treat.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>struck me odd...buffalo proof in 38' wasn't offered >>

Probably because none were struck in Philadelphia that year.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

one can make a .gft file to achieve this
    layer 4 images...set the transition to slow/mid

some find .gft image files annoying but they can achieve varied coin angle perspectives in one
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Keets, if you were complaining about that superbird and cameo, how bout that nickel you posted!!

well, if you weren't so intent on trying to find fault with my opinion you could probably make an insightful deduction: the pictures were taken with a single light source, the result being shadows under the chin and at the shoulder. please feel free to find fault with this post and I will try to help you with that, also.
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I have a few early cameo Jeffersons. Could find photos of these two. These were both given CAC Green labels. Sorry. don't know how to get the pictures to show directly.

1940 cameo jeff

1942 cameo jeff
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

@BaronVonBaugh said:
    Coins in this time period rarely get the cameo designation. I have several that have contrast,
    but not enough for the designation. Here is how many are currently available.

May 14, 2014
    1939: 3 as Rev of 40
    1940: 8
    1942 T1: 1
    1942 T2: 9 & 1 DCAM

1937 Buffalo: 13

I just threw in the Buffalo since there is only one year with any that graded as cameo.

Jan 30, 2022
    1939: 4 as Rev of 40, up 1
    1940: 10, up 2
    1942 T1: 2, up 1
    1942 T2: 15 & 1 DCAM, up 6 Cam

1937 Buffalo: 16, up 3

Very little change in eight years.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info on these.
    I like the way you revived an old post to a current one.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

None are designated Cameo but are nice coins. Threw the '42 Quarter in there because of the unusually deep mirrors.
    Roger Burdette's research indicates that Cameo contrast was not really intended to happen like the '50 to '64 coins show. Those dies were pickled longer before polishing and of course early die strikes (even starting in 1950) produced some stunning cameos.

@fiftysevener said:

None are designated Cameo but are nice coins. Threw the '42 Quarter in there because of the unusually deep mirrors.
    Roger Burdette's research indicates that Cameo contrast was not really intended to happen like the '50 to '64 coins show. Those dies were pickled longer before polishing and of course early die strikes (even starting in 1950) produced some stunning cameos.

I have a few nickels that have contrast, but not enough to get the cameo designation.

I would really like to see somebody post a nice heavy cameo '57 nickel that they own. It's the stopper in my opinion.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't around when this thread was first posted but those old Jefferson Proof Cam pictures are absolutely beautiful

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like seeing some of these old posts.

Hoard the keys.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener.... Wow... that '42 quarter is fantastic.... And a very good year ;) Cheers, RickO

Here's likely one of those grade increases in the pops. To me, cameras' don't lie. And I'd want more frost/contrast on my coin.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124900958911?hash=item1d14ad62bf:g:BoAAAOSwv65hQOOu

Here's one of mine,

Although its been graded a cam, someone wanted to see a 1957.

Leo

@leothelyon said:
    Here's likely one of those grade increases in the pops. To me, cameras' don't lie. And I'd want more frost/contrast on my coin.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124900958911?hash=item1d14ad62bf:g:BoAAAOSwv65hQOOu

Here's one of mine,

Although its been graded a cam, someone wanted to see a 1957.

Leo

Both are beautiful coins and I think both would benefit from new holders.

Recent upgrade PR68.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaronVonBaugh Beautiful I love the colors! Great reverse detail as well, and I know how hard they are to find this nice in high grades. Great pick up!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coins

glad to see you back Aspie, haven't seen you post in awhile +++

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file