Home Precious Metals

Selling Silver and Gold - spot -x?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
If you want to move it fairly quickly and we are assuming items with no extra special value,
what is a reasonable deal to expect if you sell to say: a pawn shop, or a coin shop, or a we buy gold shop?
COA

Comments

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    None of the above.
    BUT.....the best price I got for a $5 gold commem was at a pawn shop. A bit higher end, but still a pawn shop.

The coin shop was a distant second and the cash4gold was: "I think this is gold plated."

It was a common commem (:Funnyimage in PCGS plastic.

Sell it on BST
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What are you looking to sell?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without question post it here and within a few hours someone will PM you and more than likely buy it providing your not acting like the pawn shop or coin shop image
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Ampex buys. Take care. jws
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    75-90% of spot.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    My local shop pays spot +$1 on ASE's
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

It pays to scout all the local places well before you intend to sell anything. I like to go in every shop I see , sometimes you get lucky and see someone else selling to the shop. Depending on how that looks you might scratch that place off your list right away.

If it looks like they are okay then ask to buy something similar to what you saw sold to the shop. I like to spread that over more than one visit but you can try to do it in one if you are smooth you It's a simple way to get an idea of the spread at that place.

If you like silver then buy some even if its a bit high. I'll over pay for silver if I think it might build a bridge or two.

Of the 4 or 5 places I frequent as a buyer there are only 2 I would want sell to.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ampex buys. Take care. jws >>

Not sure about Ampex buying, but APMEX buys PM's, coins, rounds and bars, with the price quote available online.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not sure about Ampex buying, but APMEX buys PM's, coins, rounds and bars, with the price quote available online. >>

The quote displayed is for sales of $10K or more and may not hold for smaller amounts.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not sure about Ampex buying, but APMEX buys PM's, coins, rounds and bars, with the price quote available online. >>

The quote displayed is for sales of $10K or more and may not hold for smaller amounts. >>

Yup, but I've always received the quoted price on gold items for sales under $10K. U can always pick up the phone and call them.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The quote displayed is for sales of $10K or more and may not hold for smaller amounts. >>

Yup, but I've always received the quoted price on gold items for sales under $10K. U can always pick up the phone and call them. >>

I'm just going by what their website has posted. Never had a reason to call for lesser amounts.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the BST here.... the local shops are a ripoff.... they hate me since I expose their nefarious pricing schemes. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup, but I've always received the quoted price on gold items for sales under $10K. U can always pick up the phone and call them. >>

I'm just going by what their website has posted. Never had a reason to call for lesser amounts. >>

"For a transaction of less than 10,000 USD the price paid will be at the discretion of APMEX and may be less than what is displayed."

May be less, does not necessarily mean: will be less.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm just going by what their website has posted. Never had a reason to call for lesser amounts. >>

"For a transaction of less than 10,000 USD the price paid will be at the discretion of APMEX and may be less than what is displayed."

May be less, does not necessarily mean: will be less. >>

Agreed. Best to call either way.
    theknowitalltroll;