Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

px

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
Specifically the low mintage 2.5 dollar Panama Pacific 1915 s.

Question: Do copper or toning spots affect the resale value of this coin? If so how much?

Assume a MS grade and assume it holders with either PCGS and NGC.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Properly graded it should not affect price on a coin with only 6,749 mintage. Such spotting on older gold is not a defect.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a slight majority of buyers will dislike copper/toning spots and see them as a distraction... but there are some buyers who will like it as a sign of originality and the coin being not "messed with."

Accordingly, I don't think the value is really helped or hurt by copper/toning spots... but you'll just have to find that right buyer who likes the look with the spots. So the liquidity of the coin at the going rate may be slightly decreased in my opinion.

All that said, really hard to say for sure w/o seeing the coin image

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tricky question, especially because the correct answer can change significantly from time to time.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about if the newb says "it depends"

if they look like hated "spots".....
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I buy gold Classic Commemoratives. When I look at an available gold piece, if it has a copper spot, I move on, plain and simple.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really big, unattractive copper spots pose a problem. A great many of the 1926 Philadelphia Sesquicentennial $2.50 coins have copper stains, and they do make the coin harder to sell which can translate to lower prices. I have seen that many Pan PAC $2.50 coins with those marks.

If you are thinking about buying the coin, I would pass, unless there is big price discount.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, the coin is in a PCGS holder MS63 No spots on the obverse just a couple copper/toning spots/smears on reverse near the rim on the reverse....
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks everyone, the coin is in a PCGS holder MS63 No spots on the obverse just a couple copper/toning spots/smears on reverse near the rim on the reverse.... >>

Despite the mintage, these coins are quite common. I'd hold out for a very eye appealing example.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper spots are a good sign that the coin has not been treated. Never a problem for most mature collectors.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any MS63 is low-end for the issue. They come nice. Original and not banged up. Good rich frost. The spread between 64-65 makes upgrading much less economically attractive, so fewer coins have been diddled-with. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a wholesome 63. If you've found that coin, buy it, spots or not. The market is quite stagnant. Even CAC coins are not selling strongly. You can be patient.

The only copper spots I don't like are the ones with carbon at their centers. Too may people attach a stigma to orange when it's black that's bothersome.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any MS63 is low-end for the issue. They come nice. Original and not banged up. Good rich frost. The spread between 64-65 makes upgrading much less economically attractive, so fewer coins have been diddled-with. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a wholesome 63. If you've found that coin, buy it, spots or not. The market is quite stagnant. Even CAC coins are not selling strongly. You can be patient.

The only copper spots I don't like are the ones with carbon at their centers. Too may people attach a stigma to orange when it's black that's bothersome. >>

Well said and good advice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file