Home U.S. Coin Forum

Goldberg Pre-Long Beach

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is up... Discuss goldberg

Comments

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection of collector grade bust halves, typical low-ball estimates. AU busties for $300? What year was that accurate? I've bought them for that, but it's been a while.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭
    Goldberg has the best photos of all the auction houses, by far, IMHO.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldberg has the best photos of all the auction houses, by far, IMHO. >>

Agreed!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some really nice gold listed...... Cheers, RickO
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing for me.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw nothing either however thanks for the post! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some really nice gold listed...... Cheers, RickO >>

There is a lot of gold and better quality than in usual auctions but I didn't see any really stunning coins in the gold series that interest me.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for lot viewing in a few weeks... always fun to go to Goldbergs and check these out. Plenty of good stuff worth checking out in this auction. Of course when I see some of them in hand I'll change my mind I'm sure... but I also always come across a few coins flipping through the lots during lot viewing that I end up buying too. Some of them seem to jump right out of the boxes at me and I just have to win them image

• The recently discovered 1922 High Relief Peace dollar proofs which were discussed in another thread are in the sale - very cool!

1922 High Relief Peace $1 PR67 CAC
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hoard of the 1856 upright 5 $1 gold coins are not in the sale. They look like they were pulled.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing for me either. I was disappointed that there were no types and/or dates of anything I really wanted.
    I hate that because I have had some money burning a whole in my pocket since the Dalton, GA show. I sold a bunch of stuff there that no longer interested me.

Maybe some of my dealer friends (3 or 4 in particular) who know what I am searching for will find something soon and relieve me of this burden.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing for me either. I was disappointed that there were no types and/or dates of anything I really wanted.
    I hate that because I have had some money burning a whole in my pocket since the Dalton, GA show. I sold a bunch of stuff there that no longer interested me.

Maybe some of my dealer friends (3 or 4 in particular) who know what I am searching for will find something soon and relieve me of this burden. >>

What a nice problem to have...........
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

<< <i>

<< <i>Nothing for me either. I was disappointed that there were no types and/or dates of anything I really wanted.

Maybe some of my dealer friends (3 or 4 in particular) who know what I am searching for will find something soon and relieve me of this burden. >>

YWhat a nice problem to have........... >>

The bigger problem is, unfortunately, that those pockets are not very deep.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldberg has the best photos of all the auction houses, by far, IMHO. >>

Brian is right. Goldberg has images I can always trust.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Discuss >>

No Saddle Ridge! image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

YWhat a nice problem to have........... >>

The bigger problem is, unfortunately, that those pockets are not very deep. >>

It's funny, considering your Icon pic...there are a couple of sweet looking Gothic Crowns in the auction !
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Barber material.

Site is dang clunky. Hire decent IT people!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Either I am losing it, or I saw some coins on display at the Goldberg table at FUN which I thought were destined for this auction, but which are not here.

Also, I just arrived at the EAC hotel in Colorado Springs.
  • HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Is it me, or has nice civil war gold disappeared from the market.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

Nice Civil War gold is hard to find.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it me, or has nice civil war gold disappeared from the market. >>

Was it ever available? The last few HA sales had a ton but it was mostly processed unfortunately.
  • PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the compliments on the images everyone..... I do my best!
    Lyle
    Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping that 1937 Buffalo PCGS MS68 has a jaw-dropping amount of luster that the photos don't capture... because I have a PCGS MS65 with a better strike, booming luster, and fewer marks than that.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Illini: << Plenty of good stuff worth checking out in this auction. Of course when I see some of them in hand I'll change my mind I'm sure... but I also always come across a few coins flipping through the lots during lot viewing that I end up buying too. Some of them seem to jump right out of the boxes at me and I just have to win them.>>

Unfortunately, I cannot attend this auction. I have attended many Goldbergs sales in the past.

I hope that Illini shares his opinions about some of the coins in this auction after he sees them. Whenever practical, I write about coins that I have personally examined or at least ask other experts to write notes about the coins that they view. This time, I had to work from the catalogue and I wrote an article that is, I hope, helpful to people, especially beginners.

Key Date U.S. Coins in Goldbergs Auction Next Week

Did any of the forum members view the key dates and semi-keys that I discuss? Thanks.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be going to lot viewing tomorrow and probably again over the weekend. I can't provide comments on all of them as I'm reviewing some for clients and also some I plan to buy for my own inventory.

But if anyone has questions about any of the lots in particular, I'd be happy to check them out and comment back here about them if I can.

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file