Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Half Eagle NEWPs

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
So half eagles are my specialty and I enjoy sharing so here are a few recent additions.
1848 $5 P58 CAC, an under rated Philly date

1841-C N55 CAC, a difficult Charlotte date which has outstanding eye appeal

1852-C P53 CAC with a confirmed interesting backstory. Coin came from a New Hampshire attic, found after generations.

Thanks to a forum member for two of these pieces and Doug Winter for the 41-C.

Comments

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the coppery color on the 1848.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Them are great looking coins. You have a good eye for gold coins.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those three are superb! The P mint has a needle sharp strike. Is the coloration due to copper in the alloy, and is that common on P mint coins from the era? Both of the C's look totally original. Thank goodness the finder of the "attic coin" knew enough not to "brighten it up" with a little Ajax. image
  • Options

<< <i>Those three are superb! The P mint has a needle sharp strike. Is the coloration due to copper in the alloy, and is that common on P mint coins from the era? Both of the C's look totally original. Thank goodness the finder of the "attic coin" knew enough not to "brighten it up" with a little Ajax. image >>

I have only seen a handful with this level of coloration, the other being an 1851. I think that the color is either imparted from the alloy or the storage medium, say a leather pouch. My guess would be the latter but i'd be curious of the opinions of the forum. I have admired this coin from the first time I saw it and am very happy to own it!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I have not seen enough of them to form an opinion as to the origin of the color. It would make sense that a leather pouch or purse, with its tanning agents, could impart color to the alloy. I have a seated dollar with an overall purple hue which I think derived from that. I too would be interested in other opinions.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They deep "layered" look of the patina on the '48 is nice. The points of the stars and feathers are crisp too.

Me likey!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1848 is amazing. I love that look.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the '48 will match very well with your '48-C QE, B. The '41-C and '52-C are both lovely additions indeed.

Nicely done!

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous Gold ½ Eagles......the 48 really stands out, but the 41-C and the 52-C are stunning.
    GB

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    All great additions….I also really like the tone of the 1848.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    dagman100dagman100 Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Beautiful coins! As you would say, they definitely have "soul".
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those are all very nice coins. the southern gold looks just like you want to for circulated pieces. the 48 is in an amazing state of preservation for an AU piece. i would love to see the luster on that one!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, thanks for sharing !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great coins, I really like the 52
  • Options
    While I like all three, my favorite would be the 41. On the 48, I would say leather pouch or something similar.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real nice pick-ups. The 52 is choice!!
  • Options
    Rumor has it the 48 came from a church cornerstone along with a few other similarly colored coins. Interesting back story.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gold coins...great additions to your collection.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the coppery color on the 1848. >>

I agree, I'm loving the look of that 1848.

JC
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have already complimented the 1848, but it really speaks to me!!!
    I have loved coppery toned gold for years.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your coins look like gold coins should look like. 'nough said.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are beautiful.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file