Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, how many Dan Carr Moonlight Mint pcs do you own?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
I currently own 87 pcs counting HTT and all. I had another 8 pcs of 1964-D Peace Dollars that I sold.

So,,,,,, fess-up and tell us how many you have so others can make fun of us imageml

GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    At least 8 for me! I think he does great work!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    none.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None. I'm just not interested in anything that was produced after 1933.

Even though many of his medals are interesting I have made the decision to stick to early material only.

So far as the fantasy coins go I won't buy or sell them as it is my opinion that they should be marked as copies.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought two 1964 peace dollars and a roll of his silver rounds with the 1913 buffalo nickel to celebrate the centennial of the buffalo nickel.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think about 28.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One.
    Larry

• Options
    it would be interesting to know what percentage of the total mintage(s) are owned by Forum members.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I own probably 50 unique pieces and 2 rolls of buffalo nickel bullion coins.

I have really liked Dans work since he got his press, and bought one of each coin he first minted with it.

I sure wish there was a subscription option or something, I've missed some issues!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess somewhere between 150-200 image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five or six..... should have more... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    none

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    None. Wish I had started collecting them years ago.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    2, with one more that I want.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    none, while I respect his work, I think he is 1) defacing genuine coins to 2) make new dates that look too much like existing coins, and 3) it just does not seem right to me. I know not all of his items are made that way. at least I don't think they are.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first heard if this guy from a summer seminar buddy. He was all excited about an upcoming release. It wasn't even remotely close to my collecting goals but eventually I took a min to see what this body of work was all about. Bought the Uncle Scam htt. It exceeded my expectations. Exquisite silver art round with great subject matter that only gets cooler the older it gets. Think it was 80.00. Most of the other items I like seem to sell out before I get to the party and I can't stomach buying them from flippers on eBay.

Like DCs work or not, naysayers and market purist end up sounding like chumps contrasted with a person with this much moxy and creativity. Whatever, that's my only comment about the controversy surrounding the guy.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the larger coins- such as his Morgan dollars. I kept a couple of the 1963 Kennedy halves and look forward to pairing the 1965 Peace dollars with them.

I think having a pair of Kennedy/peace dollars sequentially graded with ANACS would make for a lovely presentation.
    (Just like the 1964 Franklin and 1964 Peace dollars.)

Daniel came out with an overstruck Gold coin a few months ago (that rapidly sold out) whereas the host coin needed to be provided by the buyer. That was an interesting concept
    yet a difficult one to come to a decision with. After grappling on what to do the decision was easily decided as the program sold out before I could get off my butt and send one in.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Dan Carr pieces because:

(1) He's one of the few, if not the only independent designer, engraver, minter today.

(2) His pieces span multiple areas: private pattern designs, commemoratives, HTTs (many in the middle class do feel these are hard times), fantasy dates, coin club medals (we need them!), etc.

(3) He tries new things such as his overstrikes, hologram coins, selective gold plating, etc.

(4) His variety enables him to be viewed as as a modern combination of Lovett with his original designs and Dickeson and others (John Adams Bolen, Thomas Wyatt, Alfred S. Robinson, William Idler, John Adams Bolen, Prof. Montroville Wilson Dickeson, C. Wyllys Betts and, later on, Thomas L. Elder) for his over strikes.

(5) His fantasy date overstrikes as more legitimate than outright copies that many like, such as those by Dickeson, Bolen, Wyatt and others.

(6) He shares his minting experiences with lustre, die wear, etc. here that we really can't get any other way.

Basically, he's a great member of the community with his contributions here on knowledge, contributions to making coin club medals collectible, modern HTTs that are signs of our times (our current hard times, etc.) and creativity to move the hobby forward through new minting techniques people haven't thought of before.

Here's one of my favorite medals of his. This looks great in hand and shows off his creativity and contribution to coin clubs:

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I've got one of those large Red Intercept Shield boxes mostly full of stuff up to 2012. I quit buying after an order got lost in the mail. Dan made in right of coarse and I was never worried about that. Just bummed it caused the miss of the hologram bullion coins and the set lost continuity. I sold about half my dups to fund my solar system. I must say they definitely hold their value. I did jump back into things with the 65 Peace dollar.. I also stopped buying when eBay started ending all my fantasy coin listings. So It's a big ANACS submission on the horizon for those.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have three, but wish i had more. i have two gruber half eagles and a 63 kennedy high grade silver. i wish i had the confederate gold.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got four pieces, all of them '64 peace dollars.

Before you answer "none", you might check your change jar or your pockets for NY or RI state quarters. image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got four pieces, all of them '64 peace dollars.

Before you answer "none", you might check your change jar or your pockets for NY or RI state quarters. image >>

Good point. I had forgotten that he designed those state quarters.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 of most of his work. Boxes now I guess. It really started as a side project as the "normal" stuff I collect doesn't come around that often.

These just actually came today. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.
    When I get bored, I buy more books, or start side collections of 18th-19th-century exonumia.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None.
    When I get bored, I buy more books, or start side collections of 18th-19th-century exonumia. >>

I do that also : )

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to admit that these coins are NEAT image

My favorites are probably the 1910-D Indian Head Cent, 1933 Buffalo Nickel and the 1931-S Standing Liberty Quarter. image

I also have all the IKE's,,,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Several... the man does good work.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I have the '64-D peace dollar and four others that are signed by him and are housed in IGC holders. (Total - 5)
    Paul
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One........but I will buy more as I find them of interest.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero, but I wouldn't mind owning a 64-D Peace dollar........
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own 5 or 6 different designs now. Just got one of the Liberty Seated Collectors Club medals for my personal collection. (Joined the club too late to get one when they were issued ).
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough.

Next question...
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess about 40 - not really sure..... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

Some of his pieces that have political images an slogans look interesting, but you could not pay me to one of his products that is a fantasy item of a U.S. Coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I'm around the low end of illini420 and counting, which still lags far behind my Gallery Mint Museum items.
  • Options
    Before you answer "none", you might check your change jar or your pockets for NY or RI state quarters.

neither was struck at the Moonlight Mint.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero...zilch....I don't buy or want fake copies of coins....PERIOD!!!!!
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I believe nine.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    A big O
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    313 different varieties.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 just the 64 Peace $ wanted the ASE but it was sold out dont know if he has any more if so i would buy 2 or 4 of them.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1 just the 64 Peace $ wanted the ASE but it was sold out dont know if he has any more if so i would buy 2 or 4 of them. >>

I don't have any for sale. But there are usually a couple on eBay.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Only one, the astronaut dollar, in brass.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    I have four. The 1910 IHC, the 1945 Roosie, the 1975 silver quarter and this just came today.

I know some folks find this stuff disgusting or worse, but whatever: that's a pretty dollar.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero, but I like them.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    none as of right now. i would not mind a few in the future thou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file