Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Odds that this is the only 2 Feather Buffalo of its kind?

Not just the fact that it is a 2 feather, but struck 20% off center and an exceptional strike for a 1918-S.

How would you grade the coin?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice example

Perhaps the polished die allowed for a better strike

I'd give it a 3

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    MS-60

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, what a coin! I like it very much!
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice example

I'd give it a 3 >>

Being struck out of collar means that there is more room for the metal to move, and thus, a better strike.
    Note that most 1945 broad-struck "Mercury" dimes have full bands, while very few of those struck in collar have full bands.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Being struck out of collar means that there is more room for the metal to move, and thus, a better strike.
    Note that most 1945 broad-struck "Mercury" dimes have full bands, while very few of those struck in collar have full bands. >>

The main reason I stay on this forum is because of info like this that I never had a clue about.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This piece is illustrated in Ron Pope's book "The Abraded Die Varieties" on page A-23. It was sold by my former employer, Harlan J. Berk. When I went down to the store to say goodbye about a year ago, they had a tremendous collection of Buffalo Nickel errors in to sell, including this one.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that you'll ever see a normal '18-S struck like that.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Being struck out of collar means that there is more room for the metal to move, and thus, a better strike.
    Note that most 1945 broad-struck "Mercury" dimes have full bands, while very few of those struck in collar have full bands. >>

The main reason I stay on this forum is because of info like this that I never had a clue about. >>

Exactly! This is why I welcome each new member (student) with a " Welcome to school" post. We keep on learning, no matter how long you been on the forum. Very cool and unusual, esp. being that exclusive " 2 feather" as well. Nice conversation piece too. -joey make sure your taking notes!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice two feather error..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I would gladly overpay for that sweet little Buff!! Very very nice!!!
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Errors usually don't do much for me but that is way cool.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you "dcarr" for the info. That explains the reason for some really
    nice full strike features on off-center coins; Full Steps, Full Bands and others.
  • Options
    grade reveal
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    64. If it wasn't for that gash on the lower reverse I'd be calling it MS65.
  • Options
    I thought I was generous with a 3.

spots, another bag mark on the forehead and another in the field near the bridge of the nose.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>64. If it wasn't for that gash on the lower reverse I'd be calling it MS65. >>

I believe that that is a small planchet defect. A lamination, or delamination, however you prefer to say it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice example

I'd give it a 3 >>

Being struck out of collar means that there is more room for the metal to move, and thus, a better strike.

My immediate thought was that if the metal had more room to flow, it would flow out to the sides and there would be less to fill the recesses in the dies leading to a flatter strike. Obviously that's wrong and I require a better understanding of how metal behaves under tremendous pressure.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of your comments. The coin is currently graded MS64. Since the 18-S was one of the last coins that I acquired to complete the set, I had the opportunity to view many examples of the date. I will say that of the hundred or more viewed, none came close to the strike quality that this coin possesses. Obviously, as dcarr pointed out, the out of collar strike contributed to its fullness. I will also say, imo, this coin should be graded a point higher - unless our host limits errors from grading higher for some reason.

As CaptHenway pointed out, the gash on the lower reverse is actually what appears to be lamination.

MsMorrisine, the mark in the field near bridge of nose is actually a clash mark.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone - The reason this coin is so well struck (as well as most off-centered Buffalo Nickels) is because a smaller portion of the die is pressing into the planchet. The absolute load exerted by the die is no different than with a standard strike, but with a reduced portion of the planchet being struck the pressure (pounds per square inch) is greatly increased. It's simple math.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file