Home Precious Metals

shipwreck silver from MCM

derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit of 5 bars

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A neat looking bar. Any idea how many were produced?
    ----- kj
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to buy a few but I didn't see them being offered on MCM's web site. I guess they are only available on eBay which I don't do.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bars, but not a theme that interests me.... very selective when it comes to non-coin silver. Cheers, RickO
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were selling for over $300 in December . That giant sucking sound you hear is the premiums on these going straight to Davy Jones Locker where the ship itself wound up.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased one of the Version 1 bars w/o the date when MCM had a sale earlier this year...need to get the Version 2 with date.

Thanks derryb for the "head-up"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>I was going to buy a few but I didn't see them being offered on MCM's web site. I guess they are only available on eBay which I don't do. >>

Not so...but they are currently less expensive on eBay

MCM .. Gairsoppa

<< <i>

<< <i>I was going to buy a few but I didn't see them being offered on MCM's web site. I guess they are only available on eBay which I don't do. >>

MCM .. Gairsoppa >>

Thanks. I'll wait until they are a little closer to melt.

<< <i>S.S. Gairsoppa Shipwreck Silver 10 Troy Oz .999 Silver Bar w/COA - $229 >>

The eBay listing shows "This item is out of stock." Did they only sell a few to generate some free advertising?

• jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Neat looking bar... too bad they are "sold out" on Ebay... wonder how many they had to sell?
    Anyone from Florida who purchased these totaling more than $500 may have been incorrectly charged FL sales tax. Florida exempts bullion purchases over $500 (in a single transaction) from state sales tax. I was incorrectly charged the sales tax and called MCM. I was told the error will be automatically corrected when the sales are reviewed and to expect a paypal refund for the tax. If I don't see the refund to call back next week. Only mentioning this to save others (in Florida) from inquiring about the error.

<< <i>

<< <i>S.S. Gairsoppa Shipwreck Silver 10 Troy Oz .999 Silver Bar w/COA - $229 >>

The eBay listing shows "This item is out of stock." Did they only sell a few to generate some free advertising? >>

Nothing's free when it comes to ebay.

<< <i>

The eBay listing shows "This item is out of stock." Did they only sell a few to generate some free advertising? >>

Unlikely...but they still have approx 60 bars left on their own website...

<< <i>

<< <i>

MCM .. Gairsoppa >>

Thanks. I'll wait until they are a little closer to melt. >>

Good luck with that...
    Version 1 is selling for $300+ ( good luck in finding one .. sold out some time ago)
    Version 2 selling for $250+
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone from Florida who purchased these totaling more than $500 may have been incorrectly charged FL sales tax. Florida exempts bullion purchases over $500 (in a single transaction) from state sales tax. I was incorrectly charged the sales tax and called MCM. I was told the error will be automatically corrected when the sales are reviewed and to expect a paypal refund for the tax. If I don't see the refund to call back next week. Only mentioning this to save others (in Florida) from inquiring about the error. >>

Yes.... we can't control that.... eBay automatically adds the sales tax in, then we have to credit it back. (Florida residents only, over $500) to answer the question of how many that someone else asked, we sold exactly 1000 bars in just over 4 hours before selling out on eBay. Version 1 bars are pretty much no where to be found. We have a very small quantity of version 2 bars remaining, but the $229 is history.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

I noticed that MCM raised their price by $14 on these bars since yesterday. For those interested in buying them JM Bullion has them cheaper with free shipping.

<< <i>A neat looking bar. Any idea how many were produced? >>

The ship was carrying 7,000,000 ounces of silver and almost all was recovered. Depending on how many production runs are made there is a potential for these bars to be fairly common.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A neat looking bar. Any idea how many were produced? >>

The ship was carrying 7,000,000 ounces of silver and almost all was recovered. Depending on how many production runs are made there is a potential for these bars to be fairly common. >>

that's definitely a lot of silver! So, they can keep minting more versions into the future, and keep the buyers paying more to keep a complete set!
    ----- kj
    MCM silver bar scans are misleading to the novice ...they keep "blacking" out part of their silver bars, claiming "it's due to the difficulty in photo copying the reflections of the mirrored surfaces on silver bars." No "black" areas in silver bars, unless it's ugly dark tarnish.
    FWIW I'm a silver eagle guy but these are one of the few bars I will be happy to own, especially at $229 ea.

• Answer a few things here:

JM Bullion is cheaper: Looks like you'd have to buy 50 pcs w/credit or 10 w/wire to get below the current MCM price. Both offer free shipping.
    However, it is likely that our price will go up again soon with so few remaining in inventory.

Suggestion that large quantities of the silver may still exist unsold: That is not my understanding in speaking with the sole distributor. Not all, but the vast majority has been sold.
    Several other products were made and sold from the silver besides 10 Oz bars.

MCM image: Thanks for pointing it out, and while I am not aware of anyone else pointing this out, I am going to look into it today and see if possible and warranted, getting it replaced. In general we do a pretty good job
    here and I think of having accurate images. We rarely if ever use the concept or line drawing type images seen elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback.

<< <i>FWIW I'm a silver eagle guy but these are one of the few bars I will be happy to own, especially at $229 ea. >>

Nope... the quantity is zero and has been since it sold out yesterday at around 3:20pm. However, they are on the website, but not at $229:

MCM Gairsoppa

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MCM ebay price back to $229 >>

And still "out of stock" image .... but still available on the website for $20 dollars more image

<< <i>MCM ebay price back to $229 >>

My bad, my view of the page was from items I purchased.

I'll let the first 5 forum members that PM me (one per member) buy one at the $229 since it was so short lived.

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• << <i>I'll let the first 5 forum members that PM me (one per member) buy one at the $229 since it was so short lived. >>

pm sent...
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
    That was quick.... 4 takers so far, I have one left at $229 to the quickest fingers....

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll let the first 5 forum members that PM me (one per member) buy one at the $229 since it was so short lived. >>

John,
    That is a nice offer. Clearly 1000 bars sold in 4 hours shows real interest in this issue.
    Thanks for going above and beyond (personally posting and handling 5 member sales)
    even when a few posts on this thread seem to have a bizarre negative tone(!?).

Loves me some shiny!
    John---Thanks much for your generous offer. I'll have to check your web site for other silver bars that I can't live without.image

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll let the first 5 forum members that PM me (one per member) buy one at the $229 since it was so short lived. >>

John,
    That is a nice offer. Clearly 1000 bars sold in 4 hours shows real interest in this issue.
    Thanks for going above and beyond (personally posting and handling 5 member sales)
    even when a few posts on this thread seem to have a bizarre negative tone(!?). >>

No problem, I roll with it. Learned early on best to have a thick skin and just respond honestly and as intelligently as my stretched brain will allow.
    I like it here despite the fact that the welcome mat isn't always rolled out. I also enjoy interacting and throwing out a good deal every now and then
    to others who are active here because I respect the time they contribute to make a community.

edited to add: The offer for 5 more (at $229) to forum members is now filled and ended, thanks.

John Maben
    800-381-2646

ebay buyers now paying in excess of $300, MCM has them for $279 on ebay.

Thank you for the deal MCM.

• fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
    received my bar today and it is nice. Now I've got both versions, 1 & 2.image
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    Arrived today. I don't normally collect 10 oz bars but this is really nice. Thanks MCM and John Maben. Much appreciated imageimageimage