Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your white whale ?

A white whale is a reference to Moby Dick. The main character in Moby Dick chased the white whale (Moby Dick) for a realllly long time and never caught him.

So to say that something is your white whale, is to say that its something you chase and chase and chase and become obsessed with, but in the end, you never get it.

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a PSA 9 quality Band-Ache white back with no tilt.
  • Options
    A 1992 Pro Set Emmitt Smith ES4 Hologram in PSA 10. Good luck to me lol
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    1965 PSA Joe Namath
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    1980 TCMA Ryne Sandberg PSA 10

1991 Donruss Ryne Sandberg Elite Signature PSA 10
  • Options
    1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. I am working on a 1952 a Topps low # set (1-310). The primary reason I am only focusing on low #s is because I know in my heart that I can never afford the Mantle. Oh well, the lottery can always change that!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Unopened 1948 Leaf Football wax pack...
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Mine is a stupid 68 Mira Rod laver. I'm not a Laver fan or even a tennis fan but put the card on my checklist years ago and haven't found it. I've seen just about every other card in that set except the laver and Palmer
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Single-signed ball: affordable version of Tris Speaker, Walter Johnson, or Christy Mathewson.
    Card: 1967 Sox Sticker, Conigliaro is my hero in PSA 8/9.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1968 Topps Disc Harmon Killebrew. I think I saw one YEARS ago and didn't know what it was. The price was very high (actally a bargain, but I didn't know it) and I couldn't/wouldn't pull the trigger.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1971 topps/opc tim foli rookie card in PSA 9. I like to collect the black border sets and this one precedes all others I believe. I have never seen anything better than an 8. I'm afraid anything over an 8 will be way outside my justifiable $ range. Better start a fund for that I guess in case a nuclear bid needs to be made someday.
    In the big inning...
    Genesis 1:1
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    1D 1994 ACTION PACKED SR GOLD FRANCHISE GEMS ALEX RODRIGUEZ DIAMOND
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the longest time, it was having the duo of a centered Ruth RC and Mick 52T. I saw how they all were routinely OC, and was beginning to think it would be impossible. Probably only a handful of each have great centering in the world.

Now my whale is a low grade 1914 CJ Mathewson-- talk about low pop for a major HOFer and key card in a popular set.

I could say my white whale is a Frederick Foto Ruth but I have to give up on that one; only 4 known in the world and all locked up in collections!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    1976 topps football set with a top end Walter Payton.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    One that I will never get? 52 Mantle in high grade. I hope one day to get one in a low grade but won't regret if I never do.

The white whale that will fit with my card collection is a 66 Orr in high grade.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    A PSA 10 1975 Topps #620
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    1971 Topps baseball full cello box. Never seen one.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    1990 DONRUSS #650 BO JACKSON/#569 JIM TRABER BLUE/WHITE TEST (BO JACKSON IN BLUE)
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    1970 football rak pack

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Bob you could have picked that up for a mere 24000 last week.
    My white whale is a full 1965 bazooka box and a 1967 topps disc of brooks robinson
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    1980 Topps Ozzie Smith sgc 100
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lost weekend with a certain ex. Even a few surface wrinkles wouldn't bother me.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retirement.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@QUITCRAB said:
    Bob you could have picked that up for a mere 24000 last week.
    My white whale is a full 1965 bazooka box and a 1967 topps disc of brooks robinson

Complete Bazooka boxes are rad. Here’s my Koufax/Robinson/Rocky C.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

1980 Rickey Henderson PSA 10.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

As a Caucasian, I didn't think we talked about stuff like this on the forums.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

Amazing Fantasy 15 signed by Stan Lee :)

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your white whale ?
    So to say that something is your white whale, is to say that its something you chase and chase and chase and become obsessed with, but in the end, you never get it.
    Or it does not exist yet…
    Yep for me it would be an unopened rack pack with Patrick showing and then me and that rack would be taking a drive to the Exchange and having that one wrapped… :)

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PSA or SGC graded 1954 Red Heart Mantle. I am working on a low to mid grade RH set, but I don't think I will ever get the Mantle on my budget. Will probably settle for the reprint.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Something Never seen,

But I believe exists somewhere, a Complete UnCut Sheet of either 36 or 48 Cards of the 1944 Gum Inc. American Beauties Non Sports Cards Set of 24 cards.

I own the only UnCut sheet of 24 (Complete Set) that has ever surfaced after 30 years of looking (Picked up last year and devoted a thread here about it) and already owned several (9 ea now) 9 card sheets UnCut. From that layout of all my 9 card UnCut Sheets and the Overlapping, with the help of PaulMaul here he figured out that in the the 24 card Set a complete Uncut Sheet would have most probably been either 36 (Most Likely) Cards, with one lot of 12 being DP's, and an outside chance of the Original sheet being 2 sets and 48 Cards. ! This is borne out by looking at the Pops, the 36 Cards scenario!!

Who knows Bill B or Marty or Lucky Larry, or Tom B may own this but are not fessing up! :D

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Ever since I got my first cards I have wanted a Jordan rookie. Not out of this world prices on them but always been out of my price range.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not due to rarity as such but cost.

Ty Cobb T3.

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Not due to rarity as such but cost.

Ty Cobb T3.

Hey Mike, maybe in the year 7510. If Cobb's a comin' he ought to be here by then. :D

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭✭

1950 Bowman Otto Graham high grade with certified signature.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, this is probably the one card I won't be able to afford in any grade for my NFL HoF Rookies set.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 8:51PM

Mine just arrived today! A three year search...so happy with the centering!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

2021 Topps Chrome #195 Jose Ramirez 1/1 Superfractor. I have 75 different variants of this card, but haven’t sighted so much as 1 of the 1/1 versions.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    One of my white whales arrived today. All I can say is WOW.

When did Concepcion ever play 2B?

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

1961 Topps #300 Mickey Mantle PSA 9.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

@halosfan said:
    1D 1994 ACTION PACKED SR GOLD FRANCHISE GEMS ALEX RODRIGUEZ DIAMOND

Wow .. same want from 2014 still exists for me today.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

This is my white whale.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Christy Mathewson card or even a type 1 photo!

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is a 2002 Topps autographed Tsuyoshi Shinjo Rookie Cup card. Never seen one. I'm down to only a dozen or so Rookie Cup autographs from 1960 and the Shinjo has become the whale of the chase. Shinjo autographs are rare enough but to find one on that specific card may be the one that keeps me from ever completing the run.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

1977 Cello with Payton on back (preferably face out)

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

1955 Nickel all American wax pack for me.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

1966 Topps Bobby Orr in PSA 7 or above.

• Options
    Chargers49ersLakersChargers49ersLakers Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

1976 Topps Star Trek #3 Bones in PSA 9 1/6 and a #22 Romulan Sticker PSA 8 1/2.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

1946 Propagandas Montiel #90 Oswald Bluege

For me, this card is part White Whale (much desired borderline obsession) and part unicorn (never actually seen one).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest