Home Precious Metals
Options

Taking a bar out of assay?

A buddy of mine is thinking about it for 1 oz gold Canadian mint bars, if he decides to sell them later how much of a premium would he lose out on if he took them out of the assay?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always consider assays to be as easy to counterfeit as the gold itself. They mean nothing to me. If I don't know a gold product well enough for it to pass my eyeball test, I don't buy that particular product. This is the reason I limit what gold products I will purchase.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    What about the one gram bars from places like Istanbul Gold Refinery. Would that be better left in the card? I have a couple of these.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better left in the assayers certificate. Even your bullion dealers will discount, when buying or selling, those that do not have the certificate.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would he even think of doing that?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have reason to question what I am buying I assume my future buyer will also have his doubts.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Some collectors are not in the habit of picking up raw pieces if they were originally issued in assay card. Others seek them in pursuit of the reduced premium.

I believe your buddy's answer depends on his motivation for removing it from the original assay card.
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why would he even think of doing that? >>

Agree. It makes no sense to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    These bars don't have a big premium anyway.
    If he wants to "feels" and enjoy her naked, he's going to waste few bucks, not a big deal.
    Between a sealed and a raw, I'd buy a sealed.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick mainly to U.S. gold coin.... I do have some Canadian and Mexican though, but I know they are authentic. Bars are interesting, but more for collectors (IMO).. and not as liquid. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I have a 21gram .999 fine gold dragon made in China. I find .999 gold jewelry more attractive than any bar.

Taking a gold bar out the card is no more damaging than unsealing a green monster box. I wanna know & feel what I boughtimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    he prefers the natural look of them and stacking them look a little nicer in his opinion.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>he prefers the natural look of them and stacking them look a little nicer in his opinion. >>

IMO, stacking is going to harm them more that taking them out if the assay.
    Again, it's just gold close to melt, he can do what he likes!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>he prefers the natural look of them and stacking them look a little nicer in his opinion. >>

Pure gold is very soft and stacking them and playing with them will scruff them up reducing their value to scrap gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    then he should be buying nuggets
    LCoopie = Les