Home U.S. Coin Forum

1934-S Peace Dollar bought for $58 cleaned with potato- Final update

I bought this coin on Ebay. I have a circulated Peace Dansco album I'm sort of trying to complete, so I bought it for $58. It said "Corrosion- AU details" in the description. I didn't see any corrosion, so I took a chance on it. To see the "Before" picture...... IN ONE OF THE POSTS ON 3rd PAGE SOMEONE PLACED A LINK.....
I posted it a few weeks back and asked for opinions, about half of which were "It won't grade" and half were "It'll grade between 50 and 55", so I sent it in to our hosts. Just got the slab:
[URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo145_zpsdf101548.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo245_zpsf29ffb09.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Where do I buy these potatoes? How does that work?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    It will not grade due to the rim dent.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    One of the things I picked up by watching these Boards is, if you've got a dirty/greasy circulated coin that you think needs a light cleaning, start with an overnight stay inside a raw potato, then rinse and lightly towel dry.

Has worked very well on Buffalo nickels and silver. Has not been good on copper.

I've also tried WD-40 and acetone as advised on here, but the best and easiest I've found is the potato.
    Thanks, I was afraid of the rim dent.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAW hole filler that will never be a graded coin. I'd soak it in acetone over night to get the starch & other gunk off then into the album.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the potato remove all the traces of the green PVC?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I'd soak it in acetone over night to get the starch & other gunk off. >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely rinse in acetone, then alcohol then hot, running water.....gently blow dry... It will not grade.... Cheers, RickO
  • looks like a gradable AU55 to me. I don't think the rim ding is bad enough to keep it from a straight grade---the rim thing is probably hardly noticeable in hand.

That's a nice score!
    Thanks.
    And yes, all I did to it was put in a raw potato overnight and then wash it off, so that's what took off the green stuff (PVC?).
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Well bought, should au53
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first studied the photos, I thought the obverse looked a bit polished. Now I'm thinking that may just be lighting.
    Looking more carefully, I do see luster in the fields.
    Hard to tell from the photos, but look to be a n AU. The rim nicks are a concern...
    Worth a shot at getting slabbed perhaps..
    Certainly a solid filler for the Dansco hole at worst! I think you did very well for the price!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

The last couple of posts make me feel better about submitting it. I was on the fence about submitting, only had negative feedback about the rim dent.

I personally think it will grade AU53, it's a very nice coin in hand, the front looks better than the picture shows.

BUT, not if the rim dent sinks the ship!

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

I'll re-post in month or so when the grades come back, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks to all who shared opinions!

My education continues- I've submitted about 200 coins to PCGS so far (most I re-sell, several I keep), but I am far from an expert.
  • I still see a black spot at 1:00 in the obv.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rim ding isn't too bad. It could go either way. I'd give grading a shot. It could be a nice win!
    Lance.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a perfectly fine AU55 given how much luster it has. The rim bump is not even close to being large enough to worry about.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>looks like a gradable AU55 to me. I don't think the rim ding is bad enough to keep it from a straight grade---the rim thing is probably hardly noticeable in hand.

That's a nice score! >>

<< <i>It looks like a perfectly fine AU55 given how much luster it has. The rim bump is not even close to being large enough to worry about.
    >>

+1 and +1

and i'll add.

sending it in depends on what you paid.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Since I'm in it for $58 total ($55 plus shipping), I think a grading fee is a good gamble.

Oh, and probably 50 cents for the potato!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will grade AU with no problem...my opinion 53 to 55... but it will be in a details holder due to the rim. FWIW

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Realone my comment was made assuming that there is a rim cut at 6:00 obverse. The image is softly focused so I couldn't definitively tell. If it's just crud or a piece of schmutz then it should grade no problem.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>Since I'm in it for $58 total ($55 plus shipping), I think a grading fee is a good gamble.

Oh, and probably 50 cents for the potato! >>

You overpaid for the potato.
    Lance.

<< <i>You overpaid for the potato.
    Lance. >>

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• riconaricona Posts: 39 ✭✭
    This thread has caused me to think about a Morgan I had graded at PCGS some time ago that came back in a genuine holder because of environmental damage. It has a nicely toned obverse, and black "stuff" on the reverse. Is there a way to "clean" up the reverse without changing the obverse? I am a long way from being a professional numismatist. I am just a guy who loves collecting coins and trying to learn. Would an overnight stay in a potato possibly help? I don't have a lot invested in it, so I am willing to try anything. Potato? Dip? Acetone?
    Environmental damage is usually just that: damage. Sometimes treatment can improve the look. But the damage is permanent.

Of course PCGS might have made the wrong call and a safe bath in acetone might work wonders. It's worth the try. I wouldn't hesitate to crack a run of the mill Morgan in a genuine holder and try it.

I don't think many of us turn to potatoes as the preferred treatment. Acetone is much safer and won't harm the obverse. Sometimes a gentle prod at the softened gunk with a rose thorn or something similar can help. Be very careful, though.

Maybe show us pictures?
    Lance.
    Right now I've got it in acetone, but for circulated coins other than copper, I have had plenty of success with the potato. You can always do a trial on a cheaper coin like a Kennedy or war nickel or something.
    Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback.
    When I get it back I will post the grade.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It will not grade due to the rim dent. >>

I disagree. The coin may be netted down a point or two, but it should still straight grade.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    I don't like that spot at 1:00 and the pic is really hard to decern as it's not in real focus. Genuine, not worth getting graded.
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
    I replaced the picture of the front in the original post, it's much clearer now.

And I soaked it in acetone overnight, rinsed in warm water.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will not grade due to the rim dent. >>

As you said, you were afraid of the rim dent as well.
    If you're doing an album, why would you want it certified,
    maybe looking for a genuine, non holder, designation ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    a little busier that the original pictures showed. i'd for sure submit it with a few other coins if possible to bring the C.P.C.A. down.

although enjoying it in an album for now isn't a bad idea either.

Since a couple of people have asked "what's your goal here?", I'll give you the 2 minute version.

I'm in my 50's, collected as a kid/teen, then didn't do much until 2011 when the 25th anniversary silver eagle set came out, re-kindled the interest. And my four kids are now down to one at home, have more time (my 15 year old daughter can get her fill of me pretty quick). So I joined PCGS in 2011, started playing with coins again, had a lot to learn, still do. I'm about half moderns, half classics. My only "collections" of classics are a sort of PCGS Type Set, and a PCGS Franklin Set. My Peace dollar in my type set is a 1921 MS64 that I think is beautiful, bought from Heritage a couple of years ago.

I had an EBAY deal go bad, and the seller ended up giving me a Dansco album with four Peace dollars in it. So over the last year I've dabbled at completing it, with coins I think look good, try not to pay over $30 or so for any of them. No slabs, just Ebay pick-ups. So I'm down to the 1921, 28 and 34-S. Sunday I bought a PCGS genuine 1921 AU cleaned on Great Collections for $75, it will fill that slot nicely.

But looking at prices on 1934-S, I saw they jumped quick once you got to XF, and I saw this one last week on EBAY that looked AU details but said corrosion, but I saw no corrosion, so I bought it for $58 and put in an a potato overnight, and was floored by how well it cleaned up, the reverse looks super, I think it is truly an AU, but I thought I would get expert opinions on it before sending it in.

So far I'm about half "it won't grade" and about half "it'll grade at 50-55", so the next time I send in some coins to grade I'm going to see if it will grade, and if it grades at AU50 or better I'll probably sell it. If it doesn't grade I may sell it anyway, or put it in the hole in the Dansco and have my own story to tell when I show it to someone.

So I appreciate all the input. My only goal with this coin is to have fun, and I'm having fun whether it grades or not. A few of my coins have stories behind them, this will be one of those.

I think it will be genuine. Still a nice coin for the price you paid.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it will be genuine. Still a nice coin for the price you paid. >>

image either the rim nick or that black spot (looks like carbon spot to me). But worth ride along cost if you have others to go.
    The better obverse image reveals more rim activity between 3:00 and 6:00. That carbon spot bugs me as well. IMO it slabs AU details genuine.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Just got grade in, will post tomorrow by 5pm.
    Anyone else want to guess the grade?
  • jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Ill guess 58
    Bump, will post grade today by 5pm eastern.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have done a great conservation job. I'm looking forward to trying a potato, maybe even a sweet potato?

I think it will grade AU50.

OINK
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this coin overall, having looked at hundreds of 34S dollars trying to find one I like for the price.

If not for a few noticable dings most on the obverse, would be AU53ish,maybe higher, but there they are, with one right at the date the most painful but they all detract, they could be bag marks from other coins but then there's that patch of little marks at about k4, I do not think PCGS will grade it but give it AU details 98

Net XF45 from the pics, would make a nice album coin in a raw AU/MS peace dollar set

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Bump with grade in Original Post- AU55!
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Today is the first I read this thread. I found it very interesting and would like to see before & after pix next to each other. From the auction results I've seen, you might deserve a "You Suck" award, but they are not mine to give. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul
    Thanks. In the original post I listed the original EBAY page, I don't know how to turn that into a "LINK" or grab the picture out of it, or I would have posted the BEFORE picture. It's pretty striking.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO -

Potato = Doctoring

Acetone = Doctoring

You have been rewarded for your efforts.

That's fortunate for you but unfortunate for the hobby.

Awesome! I thought it would genuine and am glad I was wrong! Potato's you say.................Hmmmm! image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, coingrats, great score. interesting that those rim nicks were acceptable at this grade

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Slab should look great in your dansco...image

<< <i>I posted it a few weeks back and asked for opinions, about half of which were "It won't grade" and half were "It'll grade between 50 and 55", so I sent it in to our hosts.
    Grade came in yesterday, it was 29652342 7377 1934-S $1 USA AU55! Thanks to all for their input. >>

amazing this is how it started out!

it would be nice if we had those intermediate shots so i could post all 6 images to show a progression. image

gratz to the submitter. image

Good comment. I picked up another 34-S for the Dansco. Now I'm down to the'28!
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad to see that you did well, but you will be forever known as the Potato Doctor........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file