Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sort of funny and I'm starting to understand CaptHenway.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
CaptHenway always does those threads about "Why Coin Dealers drink" and after yesterday's funny little incident I know a bit more about why. Let me explain.

I get a call early in the day from a guy who says he has a $100 Confederate note and I explained that it is probably counterfeit. He tells me that it came to him from his father who got it from his father and that he's pretty sure it's real, can he bring it in for us to check. Certainly, I told him, and I gave him directions to the store. A few hours later this guy materializes before me with a little plastic holder containing about a dozen or so pieces of currency and he hands me the Confederate note. I gave it a quick glance, told him I'd be right back and walked to my boss. He took the note, flipped it over and handed it to me with the word "Fake" rolling off his lips. When I asked how he knew so quickly he showed me the fine print that said Fascimile down in the lower left corner.

After a good belly laugh I went back with the note and laughed with the owner.image The morale of the story for me is to look things over before I embarrass myself next time.image

Al H.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Nearly everyone who contacts me with a modern fake colonial of 1970's vintage tells me it has been in the family for 100+ years.

I don't know if it is wishful thinking, if they were told so by a family member or if they think it will sway my opinion.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a few of those. Some folks call it "Movie Money"
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had multiple phone calls at the shop from people who claim to have a rare and valuable old banknote. It's a $1,000 note from the Bank of The United States. When I tell them what the serial number on their modern replica is, they're stunned into deafening silence for an extended pause. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting story, my great uncle was in medical school at Tulane in the 60's and a local bank was in process of demolition and they found stacks and stacks of Confederate note in the walls of the bank, mostly Baton Rouge, some Richmond. My uncle acquired a stacks of notes from the bank for a few bucks. He showed them to me about a year ago, maybe 500 notes, varying conditions and denominations. All real to the best of my knowledge.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets... I am glad the owner of the note laughed with you.... In my past experiences when showing someone they have a fake/counterfeit etc coin/note, they usually get angry or indignant.... often with the claim "It has been in the family for generations."..... I always try to be diplomatic and gentle, but 98% of the time it does not work. Cheers, RickO
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keets... I am glad the owner of the note laughed with you.... In my past experiences when showing someone they have a fake/counterfeit etc coin/note, they usually get angry or indignant.... often with the claim "It has been in the family for generations."..... I always try to be diplomatic and gentle, but 98% of the time it does not work. Cheers, RickO >>

Yeah. You should have seen the look on a pseudo dealer's face at a recent club meeting, when he tried to offer a facsimile C.S.A. note as genuine in the club auction, and a veteran paper money dealer discreetly pointed out the word facsimile on the margin before the auction started. image The pseudo dealer took it as a smack down. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some of that as a kid - thanks for the laugh. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Numismatic historian George Tremmel has made a definitive study
    of counterfeit Confederate currency.

A fascinating subject!

• phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Many notes bearing the word "FACSIMILE" are not modern reproductions but contemporary counterfeits and can have a value higher than the original notes. Virtually all modern reproductions of Confederate currency are instantly recognizable by their color and the paper they are printed on (typically darker and heavier bond).
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While not a dealer, I look at many coins that are shown to me because my friends and co-workers know I am a coin weenie.
    I drink too... image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file