Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Houck's Panacea

A neat (and rare) counterstamp, for those who aren't familiar.

What's the history behind this counterstamp, and why are they seen most frequently on Bust halves? Simply because this was the largest circulating coin denomination at the time?

I've seen a few sell on eBay of the past couple of years, usually in excess of $500. Is this a reasonable price, or is the price dependent on the coin on which the stamp was placed?

Feel free to share yours if you own one, knowing I will be looking on in envy image

Thanks,
Brian
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The are the most commonly seen on CBH's, but are also known on CBQ's, $1's, and gray/dark side silver which was still circulating at the time.

Here's the only one I own...

1835 Capped Bust Quarter "Houck's Panacea Baltimore" Maryland, Counterstamp, HT-140, Rarity-7.

This is a newly discovered date as up until now none have been known dated beyond 1819 on a capped bust quarter.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Not quite the holy-grail of counterstamps, but definitely one of the most sought after.

Pancaca is a "cure all" type elixir that was produced from a series of plants and other ingredients (at least in the case of Houck's.) It is also possible to find old bottles with Houcks logo imprinted into the glass. A real cool duo if you can find and display them together.

Always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger. I know Quarternut has a whole hoard of them, he's been putting together a Dansco album of early halves that carry the stamp. I doubt it can ever be completed, but he really has put together a trove of them.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    "I know Quarternut has a whole hoard of them, he's been putting together a Dansco album of early halves that carry the stamp"

Now that would be cool to see.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I might be mistaken, but I also think Quarternut owns one of the bust quarters with the same stamp...not sure if it's the one pictured here or not. I think it's pictured in his book. I haven't seen him here in a long time, so I don't know if he'll chime in or not.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked her up a few years ago..

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked her up a few years ago..

image >>

Based on the NGC label goof up I think that used to be Savoyspecials example?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    habaraca....

I can't believe how many years off NGC was on the host coin. It's an 1832 half and they list it as being on a 1795 half. I guess they forgot to look at the Overton #.

1TwoBits
    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck,

Yes I am owner a few times removed from Greg.. wish I got her for what he sold her for...

1Twobits,,,,

Sure wish she was a 1795
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned a handful over the years. This is the one I'm keeping for the moment. Picked her up from Pistereen awhile back.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    I thought it said Pangea and was ready for a geology lesson image

Eric
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting info. about the Panacea and its maker in this article.

bottle collector's article
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

How rare are these? Anyone know?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that really want to delve into the esoteric purchase a Houck’s bottle to go with ,your counterstamp!

It is a scarce counterstamp and the value is based on the host coin as well as the quality of the counterstamp. There are some half dollar collectors who collect them by date.

You can read more about Houcks in the John Reich Journal available on the Newman Portal.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want one, but don't know if I'll ever spend the money for one. I spent just over $200 for a decent VOTE THE LAND FREE counterstamp, and I thought that was extravagant.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

How rare are these?

According to a post by @numisma in this 2008 thread, less than 100 examples are known on bust halfs, and far fewer on other denominations:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/674725/post-some-houcks-panacea-counterstamps

Here is the counterstamps article by @Quarternut in the December 2006 issue of the John Reich Journal on the Newman Numismatic Portal, which briefly discusses Houck's Panacea:
    https://archive.org/stream/johnreichjournal17n3john#page/30/mode/2up

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Lance - Thanks for sharing these cool pieces. I had, until now, never seen this counterstamp on these foreign coins.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned something new today, thanks all for sharing :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... I have not seen these counterstamps... I wonder if the elixir was mostly alcohol?? That would make people feel better... Oh yeah.. have another swig.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file