Home Precious Metals

Malaysia airplane - gold speculation

Speculation over at Zerohedge about whether the Malaysia Air flight that disappeared may have been carrying cargo of gold. Pure speculation since we don't know what the plane was carrying. But it was, after all, a flight to China, which has been importing thousands of tons of the stuff. An interesting angle which, if true, might explain a lot of things:

Instead of merely looking at the passenger manifest, perhaps it is time to look at the cargo manifest as well. Was there anything on board the plane, one serving the all-important Beijing route, that may have made the stealthy theft of the plane a sufficiently attractive risk/return proposition to the pilots?

Purely hypothetically, a 777 has a cargo hold that, in addition to passengers and baggage, can hold somewhere between 20 and 25 tons. 25 tons of gold, on a less than public Malaysia-China "official import-bypassing" route, would have a value of a little over $1 billion, four times more than the value of a new Boeing 777. So perhaps instead of robbing the cargo from the plane, some more enterprising thought would be to get the pilots in on the play, and steal the entire plane, mid-flight.

Of course, all of the above is purely hypothetical, and we are confident once the plane is uncovered safe and sound (or not as the case may be) and with all the cargo accounted for, that yet another crazy conspiracy theory can be disproved.

Link to Zerohedge article.
"Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a forum member who knows something about cargo on 777's can chime in!
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coincidentally one book I am going to read next is "Flight of Gold" about Northwest Airlines flight 4422 - a flight with mostly military servicemen that was rumoured to be also carrying gold. The plane crashed in the mountains of Alaska in the late 1940s and wasn't found until 1999. Plane disappearances during that time were not all that unusual.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Renman and I fly the 777 for a US express cargo company. I highly doubt that the aircraft was hijacked for a load of gold. I hope the plane (if hijacked) made a remote landing and everyone is alive, but, I fear that it may be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean or on a mountain top somewhere in SW Asia. The data that the engines sent back to Boeing/RollsRoyce should tell a lot, but, feel they are holding back data about the outcome of the aircraft until they actually find it.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has been much chatter about the transponder and why there is an "off" switch. It wasn't long ago that turning off the transponder was part of the "after landing checklist." Nowadays a transponder "on" is required while taxing at most airports and most definitely when visibility is very low and the tower cannot see you. Comrade z and I transitioned from the same aircraft…it took me a while to get use to keep that thing on while on the ground.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    why don't these planes have battery powered transponders like freight containers have? I track a freight container anywhere in the world, but I can't track a plane?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why don't these planes have battery powered transponders like freight containers have? I track a freight container anywhere in the world, but I can't track a plane? >>

Maybe they don't want to clog up the system by including all the grounded planes.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is more theories about this plane than fact and I am sure the investigatory authorities know a few more facts than they are releasing. I would, however, think gold theft would be very low on the probability scale. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>

<< <i>why don't these planes have battery powered transponders like freight containers have? I track a freight container anywhere in the world, but I can't track a plane? >>

Maybe they don't want to clog up the system by including all the grounded planes. >>

For something worth $250M, I would want to know where it was at all times even including on the ground. There are more freight containers than airplanes so I can't see how this would clog the system.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
    Even a Hertz rental car has GPS so Hertz always know where it is.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe they don't want to clog up the system by including all the grounded planes. >>

For something worth $250M, I would want to know where it was at all times even including on the ground. There are more freight containers than airplanes so I can't see how this would clog the system. >>

You can track planes at flightaware.com.

At our Memphis hub there are trackers on everything from tugs to crew buses. The (freight) cans...not so much. Why? They have bar codes which get scanned and sent to the respective aircraft. So there's no need. This will probably change. The pilots go through all sorts of security and background checks...many, many times during their career. An event like this will have negative repercussions on the pilot force. I suspect we will be subjected to extra deep cavity searches and reevaluated for pre-crimes. image

On a serious note, a lot has changed in our business in the past few years to counter terrorism but how do you counter the enemy that is within? It's usually done by the pilots themselves. We have gone through "special" training and are made aware of "threats" almost daily. Unfortunately, every once in a while, one gets through the system like was the case back in 1994 at our Co.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

For something worth $250M, I would want to know where it was at all times even including on the ground. There are more freight containers than airplanes so I can't see how this would clog the system. >>

At our Memphis hub there are trackers on everything from tugs to crew buses. The (freight) cans...not so much. Why? They have bar codes which get scanned and sent to the respective aircraft. So there's no need. This will probably change. The pilots go through all sorts of security and background checks...many, many times during their career. An event like this will have negative repercussions on the pilot force. I suspect we will be subjected to extra deep cavity searches and reevaluated for pre-crimes. image

On a serious note, a lot has changed in our business in the past few years to counter terrorism but how do you counter the enemy that is within? It's usually done by the pilots themselves. We have gone through "special" training and are made aware of "threats" almost daily. Unfortunately, every once in a while, one gets through the system like was the case back in 1994 at our Co. >>

flightaware.com uses the transponder which can be turned off. I am talking about an external mounted, battery operated transponder. Same used as in intermodal containers. A company called id-systems.com sells this kind of stuff
    Even an external transponder isn't going to do much if the plane is resting in a chasm at 12000-15000 under the ocean. The Air France 447 back in June 2009 had voice and data recorders that were not located for two years because of where the aircraft was situated. And they were only found because the aircraft was found with side scan radar that picks up visuals on objects - ie the tail of the aircraft.

The plane is going to show up eventually - just a matter of where and when. Hopefully it won't take years like the AF-447.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>Even an external transponder isn't going to do much if the plane is resting in a chasm at 12000-15000 under the ocean. The Air France 447 back in June 2009 had voice and data recorders that were not located for two years because of where the aircraft was situated. And they were only found because the aircraft was found with side scan radar that picks up visuals on objects - ie the tail of the aircraft.

The plane is going to show up eventually - just a matter of where and when. Hopefully it won't take years like the AF-447. >>

But they would have had a fix on it until the moment it crashed. So they would be searching a 10 sq mile area instead of 10,000,000 sq miles. WalMart has 50,000 trailers equipped with this and it costs them less than $5M/yr.

<< <i>

But they would have had a fix on it until the moment it crashed. So they would be searching a 10 sq mile area instead of 10,000,000 sq miles. WalMart has 50,000 trailers equipped with this and it costs them less than $5M/yr. >>

We all know Wal-Mart has sophisticated means of tracking it's trailers and customers as well - when it is about dollars and cents you can bet someone is going to want to track it - a missing plane - not something most people think about until it actually happens. And it used to happen a lot more - back in the 1940s several US and British aircraft disappeared over Lake Michigan, the Bermuda Triangle and in S. America as well as Alaska. Some of the planes like Northwest 4422 and the British Stardust were found many many years later, but others like Northwest 2501 in Lake Michigan have never been found.

<< <i>

<< <i>

But they would have had a fix on it until the moment it crashed. So they would be searching a 10 sq mile area instead of 10,000,000 sq miles. WalMart has 50,000 trailers equipped with this and it costs them less than $5M/yr. >>

We all know Wal-Mart has sophisticated means of tracking it's trailers and customers as well - when it is about dollars and cents you can bet someone is going to want to track it - a missing plane - not something most people think about until it actually happens. And it used to happen a lot more - back in the 1940s several US and British aircraft disappeared over Lake Michigan, the Bermuda Triangle and in S. America as well as Alaska. Some of the planes like Northwest 4422 and the British Stardust were found many many years later, but others like Northwest 2501 in Lake Michigan have never been found. >>

It's not for just tracking lost planes, it for redeploying after snow storms, maintenance, and such. A plane is at least $100M. You wouldn't spend $100/yr to track it? The FAA should mandate it.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    And there was the strange case of Craig Button.

Text

Good to know that this suicide pilot was flying over my neighborhood with live bombs. image

<< <i>

It's not for just tracking lost planes, it for redeploying after snow storms, maintenance, and such. A plane is at least $100M. You wouldn't spend $100/yr to track it? The FAA should mandate it. >>

They don't turn up missing nearly as often as trailers full of imported Chinese electronics do though. But I agree that aircraft should be tracked - especially post 9-11.
  • LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    almost time for the tin foil hat song.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"

<< <i>almost time for the tin foil hat song. >>

The fact that the plane hasn't been publicly located only feeds the theory that at least one nation might very well be involved with it's disappearance. Surely all the high tech gadgetry out there told someone where it is. Based on what we do and do not know, I'm guessing it at least stopped in Diego Garcia, something that would never be revealed.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The fact that the plane hasn't been publicly located only feeds the theory that at least one nation might very well be involved with it's disappearance. Surely all the high tech gadgetry out there told someone where it is. Based on what we do and do not know, I'm guessing it at least stopped in Diego Garcia, something that would never be revealed. >>

I happen to know for a fact, that "Aliens" commandeered this plane ... It's posted on the Internet and you can't post anything that's not true on the Internet.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

The fact that the plane hasn't been publicly located only feeds the theory that at least one nation might very well be involved with it's disappearance. Surely all the high tech gadgetry out there told someone where it is. Based on what we do and do not know, I'm guessing it at least stopped in Diego Garcia, something that would never be revealed. >>

its either too deep in the Indian ocean for the pings to be picked up or its in the hands of bad people. But I doubt it has to do with gold cargo

<< <i>

<< <i>

I happen to know for a fact, that "Aliens" commandeered this plane ... It's posted on the Internet and you can't post anything that's not true on the Internet.image >>

"And a lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths"

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

On a serious note, a lot has changed in our business in the past few years to counter terrorism but how do you counter the enemy that is within? It's usually done by the pilots themselves. We have gone through "special" training and are made aware of "threats" almost daily. Unfortunately, every once in a while, one gets through the system like was the case back in 1994 at our Co. >>

BZ
    how far can a 777 fly on one engine? my guess is they went farther than people thought and that's why he had the simulator, to practice

• How about another conspiracy theory. The plane landed in Sympheropol airport with "20 tonnes of of still unknown cargo" were printed in Malaysia ballots to annex Creamea to Russia. With a few passeners to head the new government in "independent" Creamea on board.

<< <i>How about another conspiracy theory. The plane landed in Sympheropol airport with "20 tonnes of of still unknown cargo" were printed in Malaysia ballots to annex Creamea to Russia. With a few passeners to head the new government in "independent" Creamea on board. >>

The mystery is solved ... Courtney Love knows where the plane isimage

Link to story

Found:

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope China is prepared to do the right thing.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Found:

image >>

Ha!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Gaurdian this morning and saw this the rise of anti-journalism

This story has some serious legs in the media considering there are almost no facts.

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Found this: A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

What our forum pilots think about it? Does it make sense from a pilot standpoint?
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

<< <i>Found this: A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

What our forum pilots think about it? Does it make sense from a pilot standpoint? >>

It is not far out there as you might believe - a lot of the newer Boeing jets have had battery initiated fires - especially the B-787.

<< <i>Found this: A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

What our forum pilots think about it? Does it make sense from a pilot standpoint? >>

I'm not a pilot, but someone with common sense that has a tendency to dismiss all preposterous conspiracy theories. That article makes sense. That's my take.
    The best explanation usually turn out to be the most logical one. My electrical background causes it to make perfectly good sense to me. Forces me to abandon my Gilligan's Island theory.

search may be over....Australia thinks it has a debris field about 1700 miles off Perth