Home Precious Metals

US government publishes a list of gold bars

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

deep storage gold reserves

A quick analysis is here gold chat blog

Comments

• Too...many...bars...my head hurts from looking at all those numbers. None of this means anything and the conspiracy theories won't stop until all these bars are independently audited. Even then the gold plated tungsten theories won't stop until every last bar is assayed. In other words, the gold conspiracy theories will never end.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1,211 pages........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Germany knows which numbers are theirs.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i> None of this means anything and the conspiracy theories won't stop until all these bars are independently audited. Even then the gold plated tungsten theories won't stop until every last bar is assayed. In other words, the gold conspiracy theories will never end. >>

There have been programs on t.v. that show how fort knox was constructed and how much security is in place at the facility. Why not just allow a third party to audit the gold and bring the cameras inside for the whole world to see?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> None of this means anything and the conspiracy theories won't stop until all these bars are independently audited. Even then the gold plated tungsten theories won't stop until every last bar is assayed. In other words, the gold conspiracy theories will never end. >>

There have been programs on t.v. that show how fort knox was constructed and how much security is in place at the facility. Why not just allow a third party to audit the gold and bring the cameras inside for the whole world to see? >>

In case you don't know, Ft. Knox is subject, once a year, to a safety audit conducted by the US Mint. True, they do not audit the gold bars, but they do make sure that the "seals" for each vault are still in place & not tampered with. That assignment used to belong to my brother before he retired from the Mint.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The list has around 60,500 items. There are nearly 700,000 gold bars in the inventory. So this is not a list of serialized gold bars unless there are duplicates, which there shouldn't be. The "average" gold bar in this inventory is 389
    ounces (not far from the 400 oz good delivery bars commonly used today).

"Joint seals" on portions of a vault or the entire vault could been put on decades ago (ie 1970's). The listing itself is 3-1/2 years old. Why is this just surfacing now? A lot could have happened in that time. But it is a list, not a
    100% physical inventory/audit.

The inventory is listed as "deep storage" gold reserves. This change in terminology occurred sometime in the last 5-10 years from plain old "gold reserves." Why did they need to do that? Some have suggested that deep storage gold now includes gold yet to be mined gold from sources "committed" to the US government. Don't know the answer to that. You could google "deep storage gold" and I'm sure all those articles from years ago would pop up.

A listing of gold is irrelevant without a listing of all US gold leases and swaps currently active. Who knows how much of this gold has already been rehypothecated. IMF accounting allows both lessor and lessee of leased gold to
    record themselves as owning the same gold. The odds of the US govt ever showing gold sale, lease, or swap information is approx 0.000000000001% (1 Quadrillionth of 1%).

fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb">Deep storage gold links
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There have been programs on t.v. that show how fort knox was constructed and how much security is in place at the facility. Why not just allow a third party to audit the gold and bring the cameras inside for the whole world to see? >>

In case you don't know, Ft. Knox is subject, once a year, to a safety audit conducted by the US Mint. True, they do not audit the gold bars, but they do make sure that the "seals" for each vault are still in place & not tampered with. That assignment used to belong to my brother before he retired from the Mint. >>

That is interesting. I dont suppose he ever saw any actual gold? Do the seals have any dates on them? How many vaults are inside?

<< <i>I wonder if Germany knows which numbers are theirs. >>

Not until their bars are taken out of "deep storage." Their bars are supposedly in the FED's NY City vault which houses the gold from other nations as well. I don't see NY listed on this inventory which is strange...or did I miss it?

The 3 locations listed are Fort Knox, Denver, and West Point. I don't see NY City Federal Reserve bank vault on the first page. There's around 5,000-6,000 tonnes of gold stored there...more than Fort Knox as I recall.

Wonder why the forum program won't let me edit my post above as the link is bad. It just says "Oops! An error has occurred. Our admins have been notified. Please check back soon."

• << <i>

<< <i>I wonder if Germany knows which numbers are theirs. >>

Not until their bars are taken out of "deep storage." Their bars are supposedly in the FED's NY City vault which houses the gold from other nations as well. I don't see NY listed on this inventory which is strange...or did I miss it?

The 3 locations listed are Fort Knox, Denver, and West Point. I don't see NY City Federal Reserve bank vault on the first page. There's around 5,000-6,000 tonnes of gold stored there...more than Fort Knox as I recall.

Wonder why the forum program won't let me edit my post above as the link is bad. It just says "Oops! An error has occurred. Our admins have been notified. Please check back soon." >>

I would assume that the gold held at the fed is not "deep storage" gold.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

<< <i>I would assume that the gold held at the fed is not "deep storage" gold. >>

Well, according to the end of this GATA memo over 95% of US gold reserves are now classified as "deep storage." So that would include most of what's at the NY Fed bank. The term "custodial" gold used to be used to classify our gold inventory. Then it was changed to "deep storage" or "custodial deep storage." And the IMF SDR's only complicate things. Weird stuff. All I know is the Rubin and Summers (Batman and Robin) team in the 1995-2002
    era did whatever they could to strangle gold and promote the dollar (dollar peaking in 2001). If you look at the price of gold in January 1996 it takes a plunge into 1998/1999 while silver (and the stock market) continued to rally.
    Was that part of the Rubin and Summers gold carry trade/strong dollar tactics from 1996-1999? There was no real reason for gold not to rally from 1996-1999 along with silver, collectibles, stocks, etc. But it didn't.

GATA link
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last entry on that list is for over a million ounces of coins... would be cool to go through those and see a breakdown of what they are image

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pales in comparison to trillions.....Cheers, RickO