Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Parsippany, NJ Coin show report

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Amidst all of the Atlanta ANA reports, I offer here a report of a local New Jersey based show. But this show can be called anything but small. Many heavy hitters and major dealers walk the floors in the wee hours of the morning while most of us are still hitting the snooze button for another 10 minutes. This show features about 100 dealers who carry US coins, world coins, currency, and of course, gold and silver bullion. It was at this show where my collecting began, and where it continues to flourish. It is also this show where I have made many friends, and continue to meet many friends.

I arrived at the show around 9:30. The main parking lot was full, and street parking was sparse due to the mountains of snow still intact. Luckily a office building across the street allows us coin geeks to park there since they are closed. As I entered the show, I realized that it was packed! This is commonplace for those unfamiliar with the show. There are three or four dealers I usually visit and view their inventory and chat. One dealer is J & H coins who usually had the best selection of coins most of which are CAC'd (surprise surprise!). J & H had a coin set aside for me which they knew I would love, and they were right! It is a 1837 no stars dime with amazing color in a NGC Fattie Holder and of course, a CAC sticker. While at their table, I drooled over a gorgeous proof Seated Dollar with rainbow toning. Alas I had to put it back.

While walking the floor, I saw the usual piles of silver bullion, morgan dollars etc. There was a huge line at one dealers table who always seems to have a line at every show. I never bothered but I suppose his prices are the lowest at the show. There is also a great selection of currency at this show with some very knowledgeable dealers. I always look for a few certain pieces. One of which are obsolete notes with coins imaged on them. They are usually very fairly priced and make great conversation pieces. I was able to found a note form Memphis with five gold dollars pictured.

Both newps pictured below taken with my lovely Iphone! image

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    nice newps!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I was there from 7 until about 8:30ish.

As usual it was packed.

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the scary, but I have the same note. image

Thanks for the report.

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    RYK: don't be scared, all of us cool people have that note!

I bought mine when a group of them appeared at the White Plains show about 10 years ago. When I bought the note I did some research and posted about how the board of directors of that bank got into a legal dispute among themselves, which one of the participants attempted to settle by shooting one of his adversaries outside the courthouse!

njcoincrank: sorry to have missed you today - I didn't get to the show until about 9:45 or so.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too found the show to be quite strong. Its always nice to see when your inventory is in demand and coins are moving.

That said, I did also buy a beauty of a coin from JH coin- an 1836 10c pcgs au53 cac with a stunning look
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and really nice note.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Nice report and really nice note.... Cheers, RickO >>

You mean you don't like the coin?? image
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Very pretty and toning like I never seen before on the dime.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Went to this show yesterday 10/4/15 after about a two year break and I was surprised at the terrible attendance
    and vacant dealer tables.
    For many years parking was extremely difficult, yesterday you could have found an empty spot in the lot
    Additionally, so many vacant dealer tables and the dealers in attendance were smaller "collector operations" only a few
    repeat dealers I recognized
    I guess that show is toast. I won't bother to take the ride there again.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it's toast but it's definetly hit or miss. The market is a bit quiet right now and the sheer number of auctions doesn't help.
    Also It doesn't help that it's football season.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that is too bad... Most show reports have been good lately, so perhaps this is just specific to this show.... Hope it recovers.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice dime. What did it grade? Did you buy it?
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    7over8,

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the Parsippany show.

I missed it this month, so I think the last time I was there was May or June, when the show was as strong as it usually is. I have noticed some dealer turnover over the past couple of years, though.

It's also possible that some of the dealers were at the Westchester show this weekend, but they usually abandon that show on Sundays to set up at Parsippany instead.

What time were you there?

With the Parsippany show, it's really important to get there in the morning (I'm usually there between 9:45 and 11:30); I understand the dealers start packing up fairly early in the afternoon - especially if the football games are expected to be good!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options

<< <i>Wow, nice dime. What did it grade? Did you buy it? >>

Thanks! Yes I did. It's an xf45 from what I recall.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, nice dime. What did it grade? Did you buy it? >>

Thanks! Yes I did. It's an xf45 from what I recall. >>

You just purchased it and posted it and yet and wrote " from what I recall"? Dude you have too many coins, imhoimage. >>

Ankur "just posted it" a year and a half ago.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Thread is from 2014 image
    It was bumped to discuss the Parsippany show by another member.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the scary, but I have the same note. image

Thanks for the report.

image >>

This note has a blue protector and the OP note has a red protector.
  • Options
    I was there in the height of the morning
    Very disappointing
    That show was very strong a few years ago, regardless of football
    season!
    Dealer turnout was bad, with most being more Advanced collectors than
    Dealers
    Not worth the trip
    Would rather wait and take the trip to a larger nationaL show
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the threat of the hurricane scared many people away!!!!

By the time the hurricane threat disappeared, it was too late to come back to the show.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think one dead day with bad weather necessary portends a permanently dead show. A larger sample is needed before coming to any conclusions.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think one dead day with bad weather necessary portends a permanently dead show >>

You could be right. I'll give it one more go in November.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a good idea. If I lived closer I would go, too.
  • Options
    It's been called the best monthly coin show in the East!
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file